1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT India Sales

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 5, 2015.

1. tweeting_fiat

tweeting_fiat Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Man this thought scares the bejesus out of me, we may be expecting a bit too much. In a years time this so called "compact" space is going to be buzzing with rivals from Maruti,Hyundai,Tata,Nissan possibly VW and god knows who else. Fiat might be better off including other options in less crowded high growth segement's/options in 3-4 yrs from now (easier said than done, and who knows what that is -Automatic ??,high powered petrols ?). Really don't want to see Evo+Avvy+Cuv figures :wtf:
    prabhjot, asimpleson and acechip like this.
  2. Abh1nav

Abh1nav Timido

New Delhi
    Was going through this thread after a long time and couldn't help but notice this small comparison between the Punto and the Duster (though just about the sales) . I'd like to share my views since I own both the vehicles.

First of all, it is really painful to see such low numbers for FIAT on the sales chart, month after month. It's painful because, after owning the Grande Punto for the last 11 months and driving it for a about 25K kms in this short span, I can say that it is one hell of a car. The drive just gets better and better with each passing day, and given a chance, I'd still pick this one over the i20s and Swifts.

Why doesn't it sell as well as it drives? Well, it's an ongoing debate and will continue till the time we see some 2-3K unit sales per month (SIGH!)

Coming to the perception about the Duster, here are my views.

I own the top-end 85PS variant and it's used primarily by my father. In nearly 1.5 years, we've driven it for around 48K kms, and it's been a good journey!

The Duster had a lot of things going for it since the beginning. It's looks, the first mover advantage, etc. But could a car be sold just on its looks? Neh!

The Duster is an amazing car/SUV to drive as well. The 85PS is a breeze to drive in the city and it easily manages to hold it's own on the highway as well. Even with it's high ground clearance, it handles pretty well and rough roads just don't bother this car. When you're in the driver's seat, you get a SUV like stance, but a car like driveability! That's a Win!

So, considering our cities, where roads become non existent during monsoon and as soon as step on the highway, you know you'll end up driving on rough roads too, the Duster fits in perfectly.

To top it all, the Duster returns a FE of over 18.5 kmpl, while my Punto hovers around the 17-17.5 kmpl mark!

But yes, the Duster is a bit overpriced. Still, since their is no real competitor for it, it'll continue to enjoy this advantage for a while!
    acechip, Raj_pol, asimpleson and 2 others like this.
  3. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    What is your choice if you want to pick up a car in both..?
  4. Abh1nav

Abh1nav Timido

New Delhi
    Both the cars serve entirely different purpose for me. The Punto is majorly for my use only. My commute to office and back, which is around 90 Kms a day.

While the Duster is the family workhorse. It is used for all the outstation trips, as it's more comfortable and better for that use, due to more space.

So, two completely different purposes for both the cars! How can I pick one? :p
    ccprakash and prabhjot like this.
  5. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    I mean how is the ride quality and handling of the punto when compared to duster.
  6. Abh1nav

Abh1nav Timido

New Delhi
    Ride quality is amazing on both the cars!

The Punto wins for sure as far as handling is concerned. The steering is amazing. Period! Just the steering makes this car a gem to drive. Apart from that, the car remains solid at high speeds and even cornering at high speed is effortless.

As far as I've experienced, Duster scores over the Punto in terms of ride quality. Duster just glides over bad roads, without letting you feel a thing (okay, may be exaggerating this part :p) !

But I'd like to mention here that initially, even the Punto was great on bad roads. But after 25K kms, I feel the ride quality seems to have deteriorated a bit. I plan to get it checked during the 30K service.
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

I think @Abh1nav has really summed it all up very well. Just another point- which of the two products do you consider more robust, mechanically speaking, apart from the fact that the Fiat has probably better sheet metal thickness ?
  8. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    We all do crave European styles but want the value for money features more than the crux. The Koreans have won due to sheer persistence. They have studied the market like a guinea pig and given exactly what Indians want. After all, advertising is all about hitting the right chord. Fiat hardly bothered to understand the mindset. They thought their product is good enough. Or they really don’t care as they are profitable anyway.

They are very lazy indeed. If I wasn’t impressed by the test drive, I wouldn’t even have recalled any of their ads. And when you see how much Fiat is spending on ads in the US, one tends to think that Indians are really not that important. Hyundai is spending on 60 second ads while Fiat on 30 second ads. And Fiat have packed so much in that ad that the customer is confused. Hyundai showed its higher ground clearance for a full 3 seconds and that’s what stayed with the customer. Fiat has the capability and the budget to make decent ads and push. I don’t think they are interested.

But naturally, we are extremely finicky when it comes to VFM deals. And bad memories remain for very long, especially after the Uno fiasco and the Premier factory lockouts

And this is the first step of failing in sales. Confused looking staff actually drive customer away. Good ones know how to keep the customer in the showroom. Fiat’s sales staff are bad. In fact, when they were with the Tata sales staff, things were better and sales were actually higher.

This may not work if the sales network is still in hibernation. Small towns are important but one needs even more killer staff there to convince the customer to move away from Maruti.

Absolutely. I myself got my car after 2 months of waiting and not knowing the exact date. Heck, if Fiat had postponed by another month without proper information, I may have just got the i20 out of spite (naaah). They are basically too indifferent

The silence after the new CEO is what is worrying. Kevin Flynn is supposed to be a stalwart when it comes to performing sales miracles. Maybe Fiat group has told him to just chill and enjoy life as the profits are decent without doing any work.

Fiat should have stuck to the older GP look. It is a killer. The Evo is also quite good as it grows on you but has ended up looking like a starker Avventura.

The more I think on these lines, the more I stop enjoying my car. It is true that there is soon going to be so much competition that Fiat might just drown to the bottom completely. Yet the one silver lining is that over the last many years, whether seasonal, whether political, whether economic gloom, whether the onslaught of new models, Fiat has still managed its consistent crawl of 700-800 a month. There are still crazy people like us who believe.

Thank you for the comparison. Good to know from an owner’s point of view. 90 kms daily?! That is quite a distance.
  9. Abh1nav

Abh1nav Timido

New Delhi
    Honestly, I feel that both the vehicles are almost similar to each other in this aspect. But if I have to pick one, I'll pick the Punto. I somehow feel that it'll age a bit better than the Duster. The Duster, which is around 48K Kms old now, has started to rattle a bit. That being said, I've heard that the 2015 Duster has addressed the build quality issues to a large extent, with the improved door beading, better materials for the dash, etc.

All in all, don't forget that both these cars have tried and tested "national engines of India", the 1.3 MJD and the 1.5 K9K, so if you talk about the longevity of these 2 cars, both these are built to last till the time you wish to change! :D

Haha! I hear that a lot mate! But did I tell you that the Duster does close to 110 Kms daily! So yes, both the cars are put to heavy duty!
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    ....better door wing mirrors, better door handles, much better alloys, better interior design and most materials, much superior MID (mycar+blue&me), better nvh?/sound dampening?, better seats (leather), better head and tail-lamp design-detailing and quality (esp rear light assembly)....and that 'fantastic external spare tyre cover and its awesome mechanism' too! (talkng Avventura here):D;).

The Dacia Duster, and it IS a Dacia, is Euro NCAP 3-stars with 2 airbags and abs, while the Punto/Linea are EuroNcap 5 stars in the same spec. For whatever that test is worth, i.e., something but not that much.

Keen to know the difference in the character of the 85 hp Duster engine performance vis-a-vis the Avventura/Punto 90 hp, esp on the highway? I drove a friend's Micra a few times, and test drove the Fluence: the dci engine's a gem, some all-rounder, just like the mjd, even though I read recently it has just 2 valves per cylinder, against the mjd's 4.