1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT India Sales

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Feb 5, 2015.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @acechip, there definitely has been some severe deficiency in the way the product was launched at the ground level, the outreach and the way it was displayed at showrooms and the choice of showrooms, locations (visibility and stuff). I know for a fact that they do not have that killer sales staff, also because there simply aren't enough dealers for healthy competition within to make those sales happen or perhaps there are very less incentives. What do you expect from dealers who seem contented with selling VW or Nissan products. IMO, as much as possible they should not appoint dealers who are already more invested and focused on other brands.

@prabhjot, do definitely also suggest something in the interim that should keep things promising if not excelling from the dealership and market visibility purposes up until 2017. Something small but reasonably as successful as the Punto esp. Perhaps an entry level Pandaish car for the cities and many smaller towns, something totally focused on CNG with an Italian Kit and tuning box, out of the box..;) I mean they have some great solutions for alternative fuels.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. acechip

acechip Superiore

@prabhjot, I am simply not willing to buy the argument that Fiat has done enough to promote the Avventura. Yes, Fiat is a perpetual laggard in terms of brand reputation and recall, but it is usually always a case of a "Oh is it so? I didnt know/I am not sure".
    That to me, shows the huge gap in outreach from Fiat.

In India, subtleties dont work, the message has to be hammered down the throats. They had some chance to redeem (at least to some extent) the brand value. But save for the initial advts, which are also "blink and you will miss it" types, there simply wasnt enough thrust and momentum.
    I did not see a single ad that (in a slow, deliberate, and structured manner) pointed out each of the supposed virtues of Fiat cars, namely ruggedness, driveability, cost of ownership and particularly for Avventura, the urban go-anywhere capability. Heck, I havent seen a single full page print ad in that regard !!

And I am not even getting into the delivery side of things, the virtual "hold up" of deliveries during Nov/Dec, just after the launch.

That pretty much killed any enthusiasm for the product.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip

Well, they've sacked the man presumably in charge of the whole Evo+Avventura launch: Nagesh B. They did that in double quick time...right after the botching up, i.e., too late. What concerns me is the compete lack of any evidence that Kevin Flynn (is able) to be any better...they better not botch the end-of-year Jeep launch in the same manner.

The marketing, pre- and at-launch was OK in quantity and even quality, for the Avventura, and they've kept it up, including large newspaper ads. The Avventura's selling what 200-300? More or less what the pessimists had predicted.

The real screwup has been with the Evo, and with the whole product launch sequence, timing, deliveries etc.

They do need better crew and budgets for the Jeep launch, by many multiples, that much evidence is there.

@asimpleson

What do you think they can do till the supposed b-suv to be shown at the 2016 AutoExpo? Bring back the Palio, version 3.0, TinCan this time? ;-) The t-jets will come when they come. Maybe AMT-s? On the Linea, let alone the Evo and Avventura? What have you heard, if anything?

I'd urge them to: trim redundant and unviable and poor-quality dealers+FASS in some cities (eg., Delhi NCR), and for once market and advertize like hell, with much more spice and tadka and panga, for the rest of the year, including any tie-up for service and spares they (might) have with the likes of Mahindra First Choice. But: do not have discount jubilees/bonanzas!

They could also announce their future 'plans', such as they may be, for the 'Fiat' brand here, like they did at the Enrico+Manley press conference 2 years ago.

i.e., "Look busy/determined etc, Jesus is coming." To imbue the 'market' with some residual 'confidence', else they'll look as lame-duck and weather-beaten as even Chevy and Nissan, if they don't already.
    asimpleson likes this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I heard one khabrilal saying they are testing something (I mentioned that sometime back); who knows maybe an MPV type? :cool: Frankly I don't know yet, and perhaps will learn with everyone else. They won't introduce TinCans for sure; at-least I believe so..:nailbiting: Speaking of tin-cans you see that in Mumbai, those dolphin Hondas are still often changing owners until that car body drops, however the engine on it is pretty cool, you'll agree?
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    Did anyone notice the RENAULT lodgy is priced on par with the avventura (85ps)...
    I think this just to create buzz in the beginning... Besides for now I would get the lodgy for the price I pay for avventura
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Got to hand it to Carlos Ghosn, ceo of Renault-Nissan: all these losses and numerous failures in India sales isn't deterring them from Go-ing, Go Plussing, Lodging, with several more to come. That is NOT because he's committed/aggressive etc towards India, it's because he's mainly using India as an export-base for the engineering and manufacture of these cars and so can try this that and the other, even if most have failed and lost money here.

FCA will try and replicate that strategy at much higher price points, with RHD and the new small Jeeps, I think, i hope. And in the process we might just get their Fiat siblings (500X, etc)?

Unfortunately, the geography of the Fiat brand globally does not leave much demand at all for India-made Lineas, Evos and Avventuras. THAT is the reason we are very unlikely to see any other mass market car from FCA/Fiat anytime soon, i feel. Meanwhile, FCA India exports engines and other components, for their rare and not inconsiderable profits.

btw saw me a Lodgy TD vehicle on NH8, Gurgaon: looks funky and quirky enough for what is a utilitarian MPV, sits quite low, must have great ride and handling.

And: anyone who cross-shops a van with the saucy-yet-chunky, singular-looking Avventura or even the Ecosport/Duster is a....!;):D
    asimpleson likes this.
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

Is a besotted Indian car consumer, let me complete that for you.
    Renault is cashing in on Dusters success story, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    They came with absolutely nothing, even Nissan had much better brand recall to the uninitiated desi carwala. Yet every other compact SUV is and will be benchmarked against the Duster.
    What's more, they can command a price premium for not so premium cabin quality.
    Its outrageous but a fact.
    prabhjot and asimpleson like this.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Actually @acechip, the whole car itself comes at a huge premium. I mean I could still undertand an Innova commanding that premium, but the Duster surely does not deserve those asking prices, even the 4x4 version.
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. acechip

acechip Superiore

No it doesnt, but then it ticks those boxes I mentioned and then some. Urban sophisticated yuppie 35 something with his wife and a kid or 2, stepping out of their Dusters/XUVs into hotels/malls/restaurants on weekends and the same guy thundering past the broken village road stretch towards Pune's Hinjewadi IT cluster, to avoid main road traffic ,on weekdays. Not to mention the neo-rich rural folks around Pune and outskirts , for whom the Duster is at the very start of the SUV status pyramid, something they can attach those bull bars and side stepboards with pride.. The better ones of course go for XUV or Fortuners and beyond into the Teutonic league.

Agreed, minus the Duster, the Renault and indeed the Renault Nissan alliance is weak as hell. But if Lodgy succeeds to even "dent" Innova somewhat, by garnering 1500 per month, then the job is done.

Fiat, under the circumstances, comes across as a "neither-here-nor-there" brand. They need those Jeeps and C-SUVs FAAST.
    prabhjot, Raj_pol and asimpleson like this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Fiat/FCA India obviously believes in hastening...VERY slowly, and surreptitiously?!:p Like a sprinter in super-super-slow-mo! Fortunately, this automarket 'race' is not a game, but a business, and has no finish-line as such. Still, it's excrutiating to watch...;)