1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Sales Thread

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

If we compare MoM sales, then as per TOI, Fiat is the only company which is having negative results. July 2010 sale is down by 14% than July 2009. What the hell is this?

In July 2009, Ford sold around 300-400 more cars than Fiat. Ford was closer one as well. But in July 2010 Ford sale was 3.5 times than of Fiat.

Tata, why are you killing Fiat.

Fiat, its not Italy, where you feel like you are a champ and still people come to you own its own. Its India, you have to knock mind of Indians, if you want to sell your vehicle in India.

Learn something from Maruti. Maruti's sales head was questioned by a media person in Auto expo Delhi "Do you see tough future as global companies are launching products in India"?

His answer was "No, not at all, by the time we fulfill customer's requirements and care their expectations, we are not in competition". You can see, Maruti is just beyond the competition. What a confident answer that was.

Fiat, just look into India operations, if you are not at all serious and you can’t care for your customers, then you may face another comeback failure and this may be last one.
  2. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    Tata is killing Fiat becoz Fiat is letting them do it. Fiat is just not getting serious with it. they are creating lot of confusion. Palio is said to be getting phased out but the SDX version is still available. Palio is a very imp car which is conveniently being forgetten. they have booked around 700 Palios and is available only on demand.waiting is 30-45 days. which means people still like the car. with a refreshed interior and exterior and a new name it cud still be the volume car for Fiat India. with a revisied price tag it can surely take on Figo.

Punto 90 HP with a price tag of almost 7 lakhs is out of reach for most of the people. this engine shud be standardize across all varients. price tag shud start from 5 lakhs. Fiat cannot afford to price it so high.

Punto 76 HP price tag shud start at 4.5 lakhs from where it can take on Swift and Ritz. they shud pass the benefits directly to the customers. this shud give a sense of joy and happiness to its customers.
    seperate staffs for Fiat is a must for all Fiat-Tata showrooms.
    but when will Fiat wake up--------i really dont know!
  3. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Isn't the JV expiring at the end of this year ?

Reducing the price of Punto is an easy task. But then that will involve significant reduction in the material used, reducing the weight of the car, taking off the impact beams that run through the centre and roof of the car etc etc. Basically it will be a "compromised Punto"

When all of us talk about the exceptional ride quality, handling, road grip, solidity etc : please do remember that all of it comes at a COST. Why do other cars in comparison feel unsafe and jittery at high speeds compared to the Punto ? That's because a lot of extra steel (of higher guage than what the competitors use) goes into the car.

If Fiat would have made a "lighter" & cheaper Punto, we all would have started shouting about how Fiat has made a compromise and they are offering us something "different and cheap" because we are Indians. Also remember that, we are getting new generation engines (the 1.3 MJD IS a new generation engine). Compare this to the decade old diesel technology that Ford is planking into the Figo. Obviously, if you buy something old, you ARE going to pay less.

Unfortunately, people do not put as much thought into buying a car as much as they do while buying a home or selecting a school for their kids. Just look at the number of reviews you have for Punto on other forums (TBHP, Carwale etc) and compare that number to the reviews for the Figo. Most Figo buyers have bought the car on hype and a solid media / ad campaign by Ford. And now you can clearly see that these guys who fell for the hype are paying the price. Check out the terrible fuel efficiency that Figo diesel owners are getting.

The JV does not seem to be working for sure : but I am happy for the fact that because of pressure from Tata, Fiat did not compromise on the design and built of its cars. That would have been a disaster !!

I am not trying to defend Fiat here. Yes, the numbers are disappointing and Tata is not helping. But let's not forget that we have got a "lot" for what we have paid.

When will Fiat wake up ? Maybe they already have. But can you clap with one hand ?
  4. Gmittal

Gmittal Amatore

Well said Amogh. Quality comes with the price and same goes with Punto.
    Now it is time when FIAT need to wake up and come up with some good add campaigns.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think YoY, that sales are down some 2%, but remember Punto launched in June'09 and normally sales will be high in 1st few months.
    The actual sale in July'2010 - is 2489 (including export) and is almost 10% more than last month (June'10).

Though the Fiat sales from star is low, but please don't compare with Figo.
    Punto falls in category of i20, Jazz, U-VA, Fabia etc and i20 is exception, Punto sales are more than others.

I personally believe, Fiat has established itself with Punto and Linea. Now they have to consolidate the position and work on improving sales. Till they have smaller car (probably in 2012), the volume would be similar and it not very bad.
    And I am one of the believer that the JV with TATA is one of the best thing happend to Fiat, for long run.
  6. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    +1 to ^

Even I believe that the JV is a good thing. But I think there is some streamlining to do. It is not easy for Indians to work with Europeans (M&M - Renault failed badly)

Ravi : no matter how much we harp about the B+ segment : people compare with Punto with the Figo !! :frustration !!
  7. similarly, already I am seeing folx comparing the newbie micra with Punto. this again gives me frustration. :A Frequently heard comment is: it looks roomier inside. Of course, what micra gives to my eye is a very miniscule appearance, Added, i never felt otherwise when i went ahead, sat inside and felt the space. Only, finish seemed better, but again felt everything is round inside :irked
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  9. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

madras
    Amogh,

I agree with whatever you had written in your penultimate post except for the one below. MJD may be the latest generation engine, but what perceivable difference it offers in terms of performance, better than the TDCI?. TDCIs match MJDs both in NVH and fuel effieciency departments, they are known to last longer and are said to provide better driveability than MJDs. Ford played the price card and made Figo attractive.

The area where Ford did a lot of cost cutting is: on the design. If observed closely, you can find that Figo has a large glass area, which is unusual to other hatchbacks. The height of the car is kept short, the size of the windows are made big. Result - you use less steel than usual. The same goes with the front and the rear. How does it affect the common man? Figo can easily crumple to a piece of iron ball in case of an accident. The design makes Figo an highly unsafe car.

As to Fiat's sales chart is concerned, I don't want to blame Tata or anyone. Fiat is too big a company to blame others for its not so good run.
  10. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    Punto is not compared to any of the above mentioned cars. its just that as a Fiat lover, we want to see Punto on top. it is so bad to see Punto being the best car of the lot and still people have doubt about its capabilities. may be it will take some more time establish itself. Punto with FGT or the VGT engine is a gem.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.