1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Sales Thread

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    Re: Re: Fiat India - Sales Thread

Well I was just commenting about the "performance" part. BTW, everybody here knows about FIAT looks, safety and handling, performance part is not very clear and there is some general confusion.

Another thing is that I am not fanatical about my cars and neither do I believe everything that I read on paper or online. If I have some experience, I tend to go with it ::D I personally feel the gear shift needs upgradation for better drivability in city and for may be a better pick up. There is more than enough torque for taller gearing on 1st and 2nd.
  2. golububi

golububi

Chennai
    I was going though comments of the members about the 1st and 2nd gear isue with Punto ...though I am not an expert..I would think it has ben done as passive safety measures - sluggish in the begining would not make break from the signal but sure it will make you avoid bannging the bumper car ahead in stop and go situation, sudden pedestrian crossing, ...it is very good safety practice slow and sure in crossing congested roads..etc only when you have space free then u accelerate using 3rd gear ..go on ...I am have seen very few fiat cars with scratch and dent compared to other cars ....though this may not be valid given the fact FIAT is very few on roads compared to other cars ...let us see if anybody has though on this line or it is logical
  3. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    spot on comment. Fiat tuned 1st & 2nd gears to perfectly to suit indian driving conditions. 1st and 2nd gear is to start and pull respectively and not to blast off.
  4. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    In Bangalore i get Palio 1.2 spare parts at my known mechanic shop. Touchwood, i have not replaced any parts other than driving gear. However, he services many palio's and recently one palio met with accident, it needed radiator fan and lower arm, both were sourced, no idea how he is able to get those.
  5. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    I beg to differ. Maruti cars are not suited for Indian driving conditions? Any Indian likes to see car moving with high revs in *any* gear and clean overlap between gears. Why I have to consciously slow down car when changing from 3 to 2 just to avoid jerk? There is definitely room for improvement, at least for the 90 BHP GP version. I feel the engine is very powerful for the car and a lot of juice is there but FIAT play it very defensive and give short gearing on 1 and 2 to preserve pulling power. But there is too much reserve power not utilized.
  6. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    +1

I have driven Maruti,Tata,Hyundai cars, apart from handling dynamics and build quality, i did really enjoy driving those cars. Especially Dezire turbo blast, but we cannot speed the car beyond 110-120, I'm afraid to do so after once bad incident :)
  7. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    Yes I understand. After sitting in my FIAT Punto, I feel that my Hyundai i10 has no body whatsoever. Nobody is debating the build quality of FIAT cars. But I think FIAT got too much worried about body weight and turbo lag that it went overboard with short gearing on 1 and 2. Frankly Indian won't mind downshifting if he needs acceleration power. But car should accelerate.
  8. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    im not telling that maruti & tata are not a fun car to drive. but its the safety aspect that comes into play. obviously 90 HP has a lot of juice but it is to be enjoyed on an open road. its just the driving habit that has to be adjusted abit.
  9. rameshjoshi

rameshjoshi Amatore

Pune
    Exactly. I tested my friend's i10 and also the old zen some time back. I felt as if i am sitting in a toy car or a golf cart and felt extremely unsafe.
  10. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    For bumper traffic and congested roads, I used 1 and may be 2 in my Alto. Because of the short gearing, now I have to use 1, 2, and sometimes 3 in Punto. I don't believe that short gearing reduces gear change. People don't mind downshifting to overtake. I also don't believe it is for safety. One can just use 1st gear if he is too worried of hitting someone. As I said, the only reasonable explanation that FIAT chose short gearing was because it was worried of the car's bulk and it wanted to hide the turbo lag. But I feel the car can handle taller gearing and not lose pulling power. Some turbo lag is OK. Maruti, Hyundai diesels sell inspite of horrible turbo lag.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.