1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Sales Thread (2014)

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @vista7155

Are you too based in/from Assam? Because unless you are it is FALSE to say "the company is not supporting the customer"

The FASS support in question is the one (a) from the Tata days or (b) the new independent ASS centres.

In (a) it was not bad (even in Assam), though spares availibility was an issue. And now in (b) the "support" is perfectly acceptable-to-good-to-great depending on the city and the dealer. Consider Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi ncr, Kochi, Baroda, Pune.....i doubt anyone would say the ASS support is missing or deficient, nowadays, imperfect yes.

It's not perfect but it's much improved and in many cases (e.g., Gurgaon where I live) positively great.

Warranties are great, in practice and not just theory. Am I being a blind fan, or is that not true?
    Spares have industry-best prices, esp relative to Hyundai and Honda, is that not true?
    Labour charges are reasonable.
    Service interval is LONG.

So: your friends WERE herding: they were not being unreasonable or irrational but who said herding behaviour was?

Herding is when one follows-the-large-group because you take the largeness of the group as an assurance/guarantee of things like sales, resale and ASS. Herding is what one does rationally when one is risk-averse, "chicken" if you will, and have been mislead by rumour about some (German cars are a pain to service, Fiat spares are expensive, etc) and myths about others (Hyundai-s are trouble-free cars, and are vfm) and are unwilling to independently research and investigate these claims.

Current Fiats have industry-lowest cost of purchase AND ownership, apart from class-best build, suspensions, steering, braking, safety, (arguably) engines and design, good equipment levels too. Not perfect but....

What's not to like? What's there to vilify and bash? Unless one is from Assam, without ASS support.

The WHOLE point about a Fiat these days (chodo kal/Palio/Uno ki batein!) is that with them BOTH the 'head' and the 'heart' can and do meet in a good, beautiful synthesis. More than can be said of most or perhaps even all other firms, especially the dominant Japanese and Korean ones.

Of course, the 'market' does not agree: 18000 Swifts a month, 10000 i20's too.

But it is still true enough!

And: new models have started, with the Avventura, coming too....several of them coming by end-2016!

PS: the point i was making in the post about Ford was about how hard it is in this herding-biased market to make money for non-M/Hy/H firms, it was not about Ford or Fiat. Of course Fords will sell much better than Fiats, always have, always will, in India, for historical reasons. You also missed the joke about the Linea outselling the Fiesta: though, the new 2014 Linea has totally outsold the new-renewed Fiesta which has sold next to...none. Some say it's an even better car than the Linea. What does that say about our 'head v/s heart' market with its inordinate love for Hyundai, Honda, Maruti and Toyota?
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    jackharrisw and VIJENDRA SINGH like this.
  2. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot perfectly agree with you on above post.
    but how the positives you mentioned about FIAT should be hammered on ears of herd ?
    even if any lie is told 100 times it is considered as true.
    so who should take the initiative and responsibility to convey strength to masses? Team fiat ? they are only 10K people.
    that's why advertisement is needed which should not be very limited so that only few people will see it.
    it should be daily dose like daily soaps which are watched in every home.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    All i am talking about is ASS,it is not necessary to be in Assam to get the service but when the customers has bought the car the company will be in whole responsibility to support them.
    Now it may have happened to Assam tomorrow i hope that we are not going to face the same issue :banghead:.
    By seeing the sales figure totally confused how the dealer is maintaining the showroom running cost that to selling the cars with huge discount and i am pretty sure that their margin will be less on these cars.
    Here my whole point was to blame Fiat where they are not caring about the customers who has put their faith,hard earned money in the company and product.
    we should try to understand the pain which they are going through.
    Can they not provide a single Service point where they have handful of costumers?
    dadasaheb likes this.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @vista7155

They ARE trying, and ARE showing greater-than-ever commitment....not enough to crack this market, YET.

Why do we worry about the dealers' viability?

(a) they gain most of their margins from sales and service. The Linea and Punto have over the last 5-6 years sold well enough in all bigger towns and cities to sustain a good ASS demand for them. e.g., i see tons of Linea-s and Punto-s here in Gurgaon, even though this market is totally a M/HY/H/T-dominated one.

(b) Fiat in India is profitable, FCA globally is doing exceptionally well all things (unending global slowdown, etc) considered....they'll support the dealers by, for eg, offering them cars on extended credit and/or offering them hefty discounts.

The local Gurgaon dealer has managed to nearly sell out all his stocks in December, thanks to the bumper discounting from Fiat, not from his pocket. Fiat has not opened 125 and more coming dealerships...just to have them shut down for lack of business. Many dealers in the bigger cities are selling good enough numbers, in any case, I'd guess.

Yes, they'll have to support many in the smaller centres, but that is NORMAL in the car industry for brands that are trying to grow, that are not dominant in sales. e.g., I was just reading yesterday on the autosite Motorbeam a report about how no less than Toyota and BMW have had to compensate their dealers to the tune of hundreds of dollars EACH in China for lower-than-expected sales. It's normal in this industry, globally.

Fiat WERE uncommitted/distracted/financially constrained in years past, BEFORE the transformation by Marchionne, Manley et al over the last 3-5 years: they are NOT anymore.

Proof? Whatever we may think of it, they announced a 5-year plan 2 years ago, and a schedule.

They HAVE stuck to their promise then, ON TIME: new dealers and better FASS, facelift launches, new Avventura....and MUCH more to come.

They cannot guarantee us or themselves success in terms of raw sales figures though, though sales in 2014 are nearly 50% up on 2013.

BUT they will keep at it, at that same plan that is. In fact: the exciting, the real all-new stuff/moves begin now with the upcoming Abarth and Jeep launches etc.
    VIJENDRA SINGH likes this.
  5. Anand

Anand Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @prabhjot I completely agree with you...
    I dont think today there are major issues with FASS. Actually Indian market is immature. I think almost all news papers published recent NCAP ratings, but whether sales of these cars reduced? Still these cars are top selling in India. One gentle man from SIAM gave a statement saying in India we test cars at @50Km/hr where NCAP tested @64km/hr. If customers buying preference turns to safety rating then surely Punto/Linea will be one of the best selling.

People in India are very much happy/Proud to say that their car is having Aux support, Automatic OVRM's, steering controls, key less entry rather than my car is having ABS, Air bags, frontal crash tube, thick body gauge. No one cares on safety. Just tell me one ad which OEM is saying our car is safest.

Today I think Fiat is trying to make it base on its own which is not easy to make it in barely 2 years of time. Also there are more than 100 dealerships today which means Fiat build some confidence to Service center owners other wise who will keep so much of investment knowingly they will be in loss.

Getting 1.4, 1.6 engines to India will not change fiat fate. Today 1.3 engine is best in the market and renewing products from Fiat is not going to improve sales.

Recently my uncle driven my car and praised it, but he went and brought Swift saying every body is having this so I brought too. People attitude is also important to capture market. This is same situation in Commercial vehicles as well, where foreign players are struggling in base segment.

A Campaign which suits to Indian taste is needed for Fiat to turn around.
    VIJENDRA SINGH and prabhjot like this.
  6. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    exactly, in a marketplace govt. have to make helmets compulsory for 2 wheelers.
    will they even consider safety of a car ? NO
    and seeing now the traffic, wrong side driving, lane cuttings, and other weird stuff. people are not going to value their own life.
    solution for this is to ask pakistan/terrorists to attack india with many nuclear bombs and reduce the population to just less than 10% of current population then only people will think about their life :banghead:
    Raj_pol, VIJENDRA SINGH and prabhjot like this.
  7. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    I don't think that we can justify Fiat's failure in sales with any of the reasons other than their mistakes. Yes typical Indian mentality is like that , We don't care too much on safety , don't like to wear helmet while riding on a two wheeler or even refuse to wear seat belts!.
    but It is not the real reason of Fiat's failure. As a brand the trust of common people on Fiat is pretty average , even though they have improved a lot with independent FASS. The good will and brand value cannot be re-established in 1 or 2 years. It needs time. But I dont think Fiat India's movement is in the right direction. At least they could have introduce more models and engines. That is the best way to grow confidence of customers or at least People can recognize that Fiats are taking Indian market seriously!!!.

Look at Tata Zest, a Good product not getting much response from market Just because of its Brand value. So even with better product like 1.6 MJDs wont do miracles in one day, but moves like that are steps in the right direction so that after Some time They can do wonders....
    jackharrisw, bharath and prabhjot like this.
  8. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    what about publishing current owner's ASS experience in local TV channels from local cities and in print media about how they are getting service support now after separation from Tata.
    this along with the strengths of FIAT and safety aspects of Fiat, but for that Fiat has to go VW way to include ABS and Airbags as standard on each and every Fiat car.
    also they need to target Maruti and Honda for its 5k km and 6 month service schedule Vs Fiat's 15k km and 1 year schedule and standard costs associated with it.

I have done 40K km service of my Verna, Wheel alignment and balancing is done by HASS and now my car started pulling to left side, they have asked me to visit Service centre for this.

100% perfection can not be achieved but can be tried to rectify things.
    VIJENDRA SINGH and prabhjot like this.
  9. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    Maruti Suzuki has 933 dealerships across 666 towns and cities in all states and union territories of India.
    If we see the sales figure of MS they are about 90K\month and as an average 95 cars are sold by every dealer to achieve this target.
    Fiat is in chicken and egg situation they have to increase their dealerships network rapidly and in-turn it will be fruitful of sales.
    IF Fiat brings the car which are not in the tune of Indian market then we can see more dud.

OT: IMHO, Tata maybe preparing for the Bolt launch and deliveries.Plus its December; customers might be hesitant to take deliveries in the last month of the current year considering depreciation issues!
    And as there is AMT supply issue it is in low number(but not drastically).
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    even if we say each Fiat dealer sales one car per day that is 30 cars in one month then total sales should be 125 * 30 = 3750
    there should be helping hand from Fiat to achieve these small targets first.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.