1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Sales Thread (2014)

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    guys,

i visited the newly opened FASS service center in Cochin (Pinnacle Fiat) and asked him about the sales slump for last month.

1.He told me they had bookings for Avventura and evo but customers want the cars to be 2015 manufactured so their delivery has been postponed to next year.

2. Avventura has good responses in the Cochin market and they had 25 bookings which will be delivered by December.
    bharath, CarJoker, prabhjot and 8 others like this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @vista7155 @Raj_pol @dadasaheb

What you've posted about the i20 elite v/s the Punto Evo in no way shows the point I am making is invalid, which is: engines and equipment levels have NOTHING to do with Fiat's sales-boost absence.

The 1.4 Evo costs as much or in fact less than the i20 elite petrol, and IS the better engine, your own figures show it. The 1.2 Fire is a low-priced version that actually sells ok by Fiat standards, it is priced WAY lower than the equivalent i20 elite.

The mjd 75 and 90 hp are perfectly in the middle of the pack on paper, AND better mid-range and wide powerband etc too.

The Asta(o) with all those extra 'features' costs 50000 more and Hyundai offers puny discounts and freebies and has extortionate warranties, a short service interval and among the highest spares and ASS labour charges. So no, the fact that it has some 'wow wow' extra gizmo-s is meaningless for our discussion, which is about whether adding 2 or 8 extra gizmo-s will lead to ANY incremental sales increase for the Punto. Its equipment levels are excellent for the price: unlike the i20 it actually offers fantastic value. The non-Asta and the non Asta(o) versions are down on equipment relative to the Evo, not up, everything from tyre specs to rear wipers etc! And that is not even taking into account the still deficient ride, handling, steering, braking and build quality on the Hyundai, for what is the 'benchmark', by-far the most expensive, yet bestselling i20.

Do you know that the feeble and very overpriced i20 petrol outsells the diesel? People are buying the HY brand (reputation for reliability, good ASS, premiumness, uptodated-ness of looks etc) as a herd.

Most if not all of them would not even consider a Fiat, no matter the truly amazing value the Evo provides all-told. They aren't about to start considering it if Fiat were to throw in an extra gimmick or two. In any case the Evo has its own gizmos that the i20 lacks (voice commands, led-s, much more advanced MID-- the i20 does not even get a distance to empty or a mileage readout!, fully tumble-forward rear seats rather than just folding etc).

Nor will they start flocking to the Fiat fold just if Fiat offers say the t-jet: they'll call the car over-priced, and with poor resale 'value', that's why!
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The Uncles and Aunties and everyone in general loved the Uno for the practical car it was. The space it offered, the ride comfort (pretty good for that time it was introduced and many other things). Once the brand failed, it was labeled quickly as a failed brand, failed cars etc. There is a lot of things that go into the Aam Aadmi psyche. Wider acceptance does half the marketing and sometimes full as a considerable section of the society don't like to look isolated or call them risk averse as pointed many times before. That is why some bread and butter image for entry level vehicles is necessary. In the discussion with Fiat Sales guy, he was quick to point out. "Its Maruti sir, they have vehicle at every 50,000 price difference."o_O Hyundai shares the image to a great extent for those who want to look beyond Maruti as a sensible, practical, yet another car owner, having their own definition of image (or class) with which they can relate to these cars. Safety, Engineering, total value in terms of tech. offered, these things not many know nor do they bother as their needs are pretty much met with the brand image respectability and image of affordability, stability etc. It should take from point A to B, should not look too cheap, should look safe (good if ABS, AIRBAG is there, also doesn't matter if not there ;), why should the car go that fast, who needs these things in city?) If you factor in these thoughts or though process, suddenly most modern cars look good.

I will agree with Prabhjot here, there are lot too many things which will need to be set right before Fiat can start pulling so much crowd and be a more common name in the markets. The question is do they want to be seen that common or maintain a certain image and premium for that elite and educated customer. They are I am sure having one eye set on how this nation's consumerism takes shape, its an on going process and we need to exercise patience even if most of us feel the brand deserves more customers and reputation than it already has. If they are not dying globally and quite to the contrary actually, there is no reason for existing customers to fret then, there still is a hope as the markets in India mature further with its own unique set of possibilities. The unique challenges most multinationals face doing business in India.
  4. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    @vista7155 , @Raj_pol and me will not post anything related to this comparo further. No any explanation we want to give after the post of @vista7155 which very clearly explains all the stuff.
    vista7155 likes this.
  5. CarJoker

CarJoker Amatore

Bengaluru
    Good to see Avventura sale is up.
    "Most if not all of them would not even consider a Fiat, no matter the truly amazing value the Evo provides all-told.."

Correct. To beat competitor , you need to have distinguished visible factor in your product. In case of car, it could be car size,power,gizmos and ASS.Average Indian customer may not get the feel of "driver's car,ride handling,safety etc "..
    prabhjot and dadasaheb like this.
  6. Nirav

Nirav Timido

Kolkata, West Bengal
    Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi guys.. I am a new member here and I do not believe that Fiat is not offering good products.. Maybe the product portfolio is small... Maybe the products are not India specific and theres a reason for that... But the products have stood the test of time and then introduced in India. New Linea 2014 as they name it in India has been the number 1 selling car in Turkey for 3 yrs runnings and that across the board, across all segments and from a far wider variety of brands, manufacturers, products in different categories than we have in India... It is undoubtedly a better car than the new City- on paper and on road. A testimony to this conclusion can be seen in the comments section of the comparison between the New Linea and new City done by Autocar. We Indians over the years have been given a constant onslaught of Korean and Japanese designs. Not denying that they look good but due to this our taste buds are not receptive to the classic design that linea is... That I think is the biggest drawback.. Its not a flaw...
    In India when it comes to cars we forget the difference between fine dining. Fiat, VW, Skoda, and a lot of other luxury brands are fine dining. I don't want to specify which brands come into the fast food category.. Suffice to say that some cars are injurious to our health(read safety). That is the second drawback. Its not a flaw. In fact its not Fiat's problem that if the market is not smart enough to understand the difference between high tensile steel and a tin roof.

The flaw is just in the marketing and ASS. Awareness comes only with visibility and I think that they have woken up to this fact. And I have a feeling that it will show in their December sales. I just booked my T Jet Emotion yesterday as I believe that they might be late to the party but they are here to stay. This coming from a Maruti and Hyundai car owner means something and I am sure there are other people like me who prefer quality and driving pleasure over a Touch-screen center console.

Punto has always been a good car albeit a little over priced.

But where Fiat might have to tread very carefully is with Avventura. They are pitching a bigger Punto, beefed up a little, with few more bells and whistles to be the next big compact SUV. Wrong answer. To me Linea TJet should be their next big pitch. The first time it launched it was practically invisible. And theres no harm in marketing it along with Avventura and it might bring better figures. Thats what I believe. Market Linea properly and it will kick some serious a**.

Cheers
    GirishRaghu, C_S, dadasaheb and 6 others like this.
  7. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Nirav O.t. Congrats on the T-jet. Waiting for pictures as soon as you get the delivery. No arguments on the T-jet except for the fact that they are not marketing the same which you also agree too.
    Nirav likes this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Nirav

Cheers on your choice, man! Which Kolkota dealer? Austin? In any case you must post buying and ownership experiences here regularly, since Kolkata (and the NE) has been slow to get decent new dealerships and FASS, and so your experince may be useful to many others?

Yes the new Linea advertising ('if you still like driving...') was far too subtle and quiet an ad, when the competition has desi-raps (Honda) or James Bond-like car escapades in European cities (i20 elite), both ads that seem to've been hits! ;-)

But given the crazy faddish-trend response to the new City and the Verna and now even the Ciaz, i remain skeptical whether the Linea can in this market provide much of a return on the bigger advertising buck. Still, marketing is better than discounting, surely?!

They could perhaps do with a big, purely engine-centric (t-jet and m-jet) ad campaign once the t-jet is launched on the Evo and/or Avventura and/or Abarth and/or when the bigger 1.5/1.6 mjd is launched?
    Nirav likes this.
  9. acechip

acechip Superiore

Selectively quoting here: I'd say that Fiat, VW, Skoda are not luxury cars , certainly not from a global perspective. So there really isnt any fine dining experience to be had here. It is only the degree of perception that is at play. There is no such thing as a niche segment with Fiat and its current India line up. They are all mass-segment cars, even the Linea. The fact that their competitors (Verna, City, Ciaz) have been selling in the thousands per month is testimony to the fact. Let Fiat not be under any illusion about this. It is their abject failure at marketing (as mentioned by @Nirav) that is the problem, particularly with Linea, which is easily the most competitive package.
    I really believe that Fiat are going to have to decide between the Punto Evo and the Avventura in the long term. If it is to be a hatch, then people want more power, more refinement and goodies. If it is to be an SUV, then people want more space (along with the other things of course). Fiat is marketing what are essentially mechanically identical twins (in the common man's eyes). Only, one of them wears rugged shoes, is a bit taller and carries a rather cumbersome backpack. It is rather evident when Fiat hands out advertisements in the papers. They show the Punto Evo from the front, while they show the Avventura from the rear..:smuggrin:. Check out http://www.fiat-india.com/ (the big Finish page)
    asimpleson, Raj_pol and dadasaheb like this.
  10. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot Just another smart ploy that VW has. Airbags on all variants of the Polo. So there is this colleague of mine that was not so convinced on safety and it took me a couple of months to finally convince him about the same. He has booked a Polo simply because for his needs the base version satisfies everything (just small in city runs) and he has a kid so the safety aspect is also covered. He liked the Punto diesel that I have but there is nothing equivalent in Petrol (only the top variant would have all the safety features). That is the point, you keep chipping in at the giants and finally you will see results. Wish Punto had the same at least optionally.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.