1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Sales Thread (2014)

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Check the power figures that I mentioned and yes they are the oldest among all the engines in that particular segment (Polo, Punto, i20, Swift)
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I don't get what you are trying to convey.
    More power = modern engine is what you mean?
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

The 1.4 Fire engine (90 hp, 114 Nm), which PLEASE NOTE sells at prices at or lower than the 1.2's from Hyundai, Suzuki, Honda and VW does NOT suffer in its torque or esp its HP ratings at all. I've tried out three of these last, and have a 1.4 Fire in the family, and i promise you it is more than competitive in all respects, including fuel efficiency, long service intervals, and refinement.

The point is: engines have next-to-NOTHING to do with car sales figures. The Swift diesel sells like jalebi in winter NOT because it is better tuned etc (because it is NOT!) but only because it is a Maruti being bought mostly by people who don't know the engine is not Maruti Suzuki's at all but Fiat's, not that they would care.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 11, 2014, Original Post Date: Dec 11, 2014 ---
    The man behind the very fine, witty yet learned blog India Auto Report says that of the 616 November dispatches from the factory, Punto-s number 250. i.e., Avventura dispatches number 366.

Now we know the Avventura is 'just' a Punto, as some keep saying, sarcastically. Well, in that case the 616 number EVEN in an inventory tightening end-of-year November is pretty much still in line with the average Grande Punto sales range (545 to 900) over the last 3-4 years.

Presumably, discounts are way lower both from Fiat and from dealers, and we know retail sales are higher than these factory dispatch numbers. So: both Fiat and its dealers have actually made MORE money despite what looks like total sales that are no higher than the Punto's long-term average. Even in post-festive-season, depreciation-haunted November.

Nagesh B. is not lying, year-to-date Fiat India retail numbers are indeed higher by 50%, and revenues all-told up 80%. Incidentally, ALL other car makers' numbers are, year-to-date, DOWN hugely, except the gang of 3 East Asian firms. Including VW who advertise so much and have the best engines, and Mahindra and Ford, what to say of Nissan+Datsun, Renault, Chevy, Skoda or Tata.

We also know (@sunil216) that Fiat's holding back some dispatches of the booked Avventura-s for the new year. And so: i believe mod @amogh 's estimate of 500 odd per month initial sales of the Avventura is probably spot on. Let's see in January-February.

Not bad for a car that is a Fiat, just a Punto, and apparently had no marketing, has lousy engines, no USPs, and other such non-explanations for Fiat's low sales figures in India! ;):p
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    sunil216, jackharrisw, pdash and 2 others like this.
  4. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Fiat sales towards end of year are bad. I still remember their sales number (is the lowest as far as I know) for December 2010.

Linea: 189
    Punto: 62
    Palio: 23
    500: 1
    jackharrisw and prabhjot like this.
  5. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The way the sales analysis has been done here, I do not think FIAT does not have to go anywhere else to get a statistical report if they have to present to the stock holders.

Just wish that people really realize the true potential of a car like fiat and take a proper decision. Or fiat has to do something drastic as what Hyundai did in North America some years back, as my friend told me, to capture the market where they were doing so very poorly.

Hyundai after many dismal years in US, for some years, gave an offer of 10 years unlimited warranty and this offer could not be matched by any of the other manufacturers and this is how they established themselves in the US. I do not know the authenticity of this information, people in US can confirm this, but if this is true, then inspite of incurring a loss with this offer for say a couple of years, they would have broke-even in the next couple of years due to volume sales and then it has been a great turnaround of Hyundai in the US.
    ramjn and prabhjot like this.
  6. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Not sure about the duration. But, Hyundai does give warranty for 1 L miles. :)
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @ramjn .....but not in india, not even close. i wonder why, since their 'quality' and 'reliability' standards are so high? ;)

@pv_krish Agreed. I do feel, however, that Fiat's 150,000 5year warranty, industry best, is awesome. As usual, I wonder how many Hyundai and Honda and Suzuki buyers have noticed how poor their cars' warranties (like their spares' prices) are in comparison, and have wondered why that is. Hell, even our expert reviewing car-mags fail to bring the subject up, just as they have failed to raise the topic of build quality or safety over the last many years of booming car sales.
    VIJENDRA SINGH likes this.
  8. acechip

acechip Superiore

--- Double Post Merged, Dec 11, 2014 ---
    Not just that, they also built economical, sporty cars at a time when the Big-3 were dithering about their sedan vs SUV strategy (which they still are) and Honda/Toyota were lording over the market with slightly premium pricing. Circa 2000 IIRC
  9. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    if it is so much latest engine then why it is not showing in the power, torque and kmpl figure, you seems to have ignored these figures.
    if there is a fact then it should be proved with evidence. period, peace.:banghead:
    yes, here the implementation is important and they done it successfully, unlike fiat.
    if your old engines are not taken as USP then not bringing the latest tech is the thing to have accepted defeat very early.
    Fiat should look at the success of Figo in initial days (due for upgrade now), Duster/Terano, Ecosport, Innova, Fortuner, Bolero, Corolla
    are the segment leaders and very good products people have accepted them.
    were indian public aware of the Renault brand before Duster hit the market ? NO but the public liked it even though it is overpriced like other Toyotas.
    and all of these are not from the M, Hy, Ho Trios. still they are successful products.
    Fiat should bring somehow some car from their arsenal to be a block bluster.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    Raj_pol and vista7155 like this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @dadasaheb

the 1.4 fire has 90 hp, 114 Nm: better than the VW 3-cylinder 1.2, the Hyundai 1.2 in the i20 Elite, and pretty equal to the Suzuki k-series 1.2. The Honda i-vtec is way better on paper, but is FAR worse in practice since it has a gutless low-mid-range. It is indeed perfectly competitive, and priced on par with these or cheaper. If they don't sell much, blame anyone but Fiat or the engine: blame the public that buys more petrol i20 elite-s than its diesel equivalent at exorbitant prices even though it is probably the worst and weakest petrol of the lot, not even counting Tata's terrific turbo-ed Revotron.

The cars you cite are only apparently exceptions to the severe herding behind the 3 East Asian firms/brands. They were unique (except for the Figo), early movers with no competition, the Duster and Ecosport globally and not just in India. Their sales are already declining a lot (except the Toyota-s, another member of the gang!) and...the East Asian competitors haven't even started arriving yet. They will within a year, in numbers (S-Cross, XA Alpha, ix25, Vitara, i20 Cross, one from Honda too). I know what fate awaits them.

But this much is true: Fiat's unique, no-competition cars are totally lost on this market's culture (Panda 4x4, 500, 500L, 500X, Strada) at the sorts of prices they'll come at. Which is why Fiat will be pushing Jeep in India, and is developing India-specific/centric models like the Avventura or the upcoming (early 2016) all-new B-Suv. It is even truer that the brand's historical baggage of exaggerated disrepute for spares and service means that Fiat will take a while yet before any sort of breakthrough unique USP launches like you advocate. Hopefully though: no later than 2016! ;-)
    dadasaheb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.