1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Sales Thread (2014)

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    These are disappointing numbers by any standards. 760 is just too low a number for a manufacturer which launched 3 new models in the last 6-8 months. May becuase its the end of the year and as we all know Fiats have very low resale value which is keeping propespective buyers away. Second reason I can think of is Elite and Ciaz taking up few people away. Fiat needs to react and react fast. With news of 1.6 MJD being shared with Maruti and Tata trickling in am hoping Fiat sustains in India market till the time new launches are planned from end of 2015 onwards.
    acechip likes this.

Linea T-Jet
    I am surprised & disappointed at the same time. You know there are people who acknowledge FIAT but they bash it too for after sales & services.
    Fiat needs to prove it but along with it our car buyers need to be educated as well.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Guys, PLEASE be sure to see the entire sales chart on the management punditz site. Fiat's numbers for the month are perfectly in line with the overall market. Don't forget: even the Micra was facelifted and relaunched? Down 50%. So was the Vento, it too has seen sales collapse. Duster? down. Terrano? dismal. Figo and Ecosport? down hugely, etc etc.

But yeah: the fact that ONLY a few, already hot-selling models are the ONLY ones to see sales number stability and indeed soaring growth (Swift, i20 Elite, Honda City, Toyota Corolla) DOES indeed tell us that we have the most idiotic (passive herd-biased) car-buying public in the world.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  4. acechip

acechip Superiore

@prabhjot- 1) If we have to see Fiat's sales in the context the overall market then that is just a mental consolation for Fiat's sales dept. Its a rather convenient excuse. I20-Elite (which is a major competitor to Evo/Avvy) has sold more than the total number of Fiats sold in a year !. Why so? Clearly they have gone against the tide. And wasnt that the whole point of launching the Avvy ? To make Fiat's sales go against the tide ? Even I , the eternal critic, was thinking about a 500+250/300+150 kind of figure ~900-950. But clearly, my worst fears are coming true. Either the Avvy has cannibalized the Evo (which is logical) or worse, Evo is around 500 and Avvy (116) hasnt taken off at all.

Does Fiat realize that another major struggling brand with supposedly next-to-nil perception like GM has sold 604+375=979 cars in B+ and C segments ? That is much more than Fiat. Its a crying shame that the likes of Sail twins manage to do this vis-a-vis the Punto Evo/Avvy/Linea. If I were car loving CEO, I'd abandon the Linea production to save further embarassment OR launch a major sales offensive to promote the car.

2) To your point that the dealer end sales are much higher- I met salesperson at Pandit Auto on Sunday. They had set up the Avvy at an exhibit. When asked about the sales so far, he responded that they have about 25-30 bookings. Isnt that absolutely dismal ? The car was launched in Diwali (Oct last week or so). Bookings were available earlier to that.
    There are many questions that need to be answered. A car that was available in February 2014 as an exhibit, took nearly 9 months to launch ?? And even so, there are features that are deleted from the prototype shown (ie DRLs, projector lamps). What were they doing for so long ? In contrast, Hyundai came with the I-20 Elite from nowhere, and cleaned up the B+ segment (barring Swift). And I must admit, even in this forum , that I like the looks of that car much more than either the Punto or the Avventura. They (Hyundai) are obviously doing something better to sell a car that Indians want.

We cant attribute this to the herd mentality, lack of education amongst buyers etc. The Indian buyers may not be always doing the right thing by buying purportedly unsafe or poorly built cars, but its not just about sheet-metal. There is a lot under the skin thats going on, and its not just the product itself.
    asimpleson, dadasaheb and ghodlur like this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    You have mentioned very well and aptly about what is happening in the markets today and ofcourse there is not denying that. Fiat really has that "white elephant" image which was sealed in their minds with the Uno, Palio, Siena botch-ups. I like to compare the Fabia as another car which suffered badly due to this image perception problem. I have mentioned previously that the marketing attempts by Fiat have been minimal/dismal and as you said the Punto and Linea need to be promoted well for the sales to happen. Majority of people will herd for bread and butter imaged cars if you will. Its about a sense of security when they choose to be part of that herd.
  6. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    just look at the competition in segments:
    Linea :
    is there any significant pro with linea apart from build quality against City and Ciaz ? NO
    EVO / AVVY :
    is there any significant pro with EVO / AVVY over the swift and Elite i20 ? NO

so why people will buy these cars ? only customers giving preference to handling and solid build quality have chosen FIAT cars over the competition.
    this bitter but is reality IMHO
  7. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

Fiat Indian Mangement are lethargic they are not doing anything regarding promoting the cars and Fiat Indian CEO doesn't have any powers in developing any car for india and he will just follows the order from Italy IMHO.
    If we think why indians not going for EVO/Avvy this doen't have any USP compared or any segement first features to other cars in the market,low Resale value and average ASS(missing in some tier 1 or 2 cities also).
    Where maruti has developed 5(1 in pipeline) cars using Fiat engines and Fiat has manged only three cars from it(classic i don't find any difference in model barring some features).
    if we look at old Polo every body cribbed about 3 Pot engine but now we can see how they have managed to bring best engines and Airbags in all the models and silenced the critics this is what Fiat cars are required in this hour.
    Fiat has all the cars in its international line up which can set the sales chart fire in india but they are not willing to adapt to the indian conditions and are very much happy in selling the engines in india.
    Fiat is just sitting next to TATA and learning nothing from them, they have managed 3,835 copies Zest beating amaze by 500 numbers and runing neck to neck in numbers with Xcent(only around 60 Short).Given the negativity around Tata, it is not a small feat:).
    dadasaheb likes this.
  8. ASNM

ASNM Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    Will not get to see separate figures of Avventura & Evo?
    Very sad and disappointing to see Nov sales numbers

Avventura had 500 confirmed bookings in Oct end, are we saying they have got nothing after that or they are still delivering those initial bookings or have Avvy cannibalised Evo sales?

I have many friends & colleagues who swear by the build quality of Fiat but ridicule lethargic 1.3/1.4 engines.
    Everyone here considers engine as heart of a car & most of the public go by CC.
    Don't understand what is stopping Fiat from getting 1.6 MJD.
    dadasaheb likes this.
  9. jumu

jumu Superiore

I personally feel that there is nothing wrong with the current engines. An engine is selected for the average user requirement of the car buying market. Those who want more power can always tune the engines, remap..etc or go for a different brand where the power motor is on offer . Now after the 1.6 comes and sales till stagnates, then the call will be for 1.9mjd?

10. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    yes, +100
    all the enthu public was bashing Linea with the 1.4 FIRE and then Fiat launched T-jet, what's the result on sales chart ? NOTHING
    so the big Q is why will FIAT India now listen to enthu public again for 1.6 MJD ?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.