1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Sales Thread (2014)

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

Chennai
    I have already stressed on this point some months ago and we(TFI) all know this is always an issue with FIAT. Half % of the Indian people still believe FIAT is a company which made Premier Padmini. The remaining half believe that FIAT is owned by TATA. But, what the marketing people at FIAT do to change this perception? Do they even know what people know about brand FIAT? No advertisements about the brand till now. Then what Brand building exercise these FIAT management buggers are speaking about? Absolutely ridiculous.

When people think that FIAT is owned by TATA, how we expetect sales number to increase?

Friends & Moderators, we as a forum, can we highlight this basic and serious issue with FIAT brand image, to the high honcos of FIAT.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You see they need some success with at-least one popular hatch for eg. like a Zen, Swift or Santro, i10. Until then it will be difficult to shed that image of failed Fiat. I still get surpised with the hostility toward Fiat brand/cars esp. in Mumbai too. :(

EDIT: As far as management goes, the lesser said the better. Often times it looks like Italians should be more aggressive in the way they present their brands in India. Really with odd strategies towards product ranges/selections the common man still will play safe and choose the "revered" names choosing their products instead.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Not really. Most of the european are quite relaxed easy going nature people when it comes to buisness or their personal life. They enjoy the life the most than anything unlike US where people are quite aggressive with whatever they do. I have learn this after working and dealing with counterparts in 2 european companies (French and German) and have learned from other who have worked with swedish and italian firms.
    cassini and Raj_pol like this.
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @zenwalker Yup they are in a different state of mind.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes but sales and brand building needs desperate revisit, don't you think? I am aware of what you said and agree completely about work culture, but then all their competitors seem to be doing much better and unless some aggressive and drastic measures are taken on regular basis; a game change if you will, is very difficult to foresee.

BTW, the Italians are different there too compared to the French and Germans esp. I cannot find the video where it was mentioned by an ex-Fiat guy (Italian) how the company made blunders by under-estimating markets in Asia.
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @asimpleson
    I am not saying they are utter lazy or lethargic. All i am saying is they are not aggressive as the rest of the world is. They emphasis on their own life and value it more. Ofcourse the italians are highly passionate about whatever they do like French with their language or work. But when it comes to getting things done, they are quit relaxed about it. Yes they a bit different but with minor margin not by a huge difference.
    But slowly things are changing, the younger generation who are more oriented towards the global culture seems to have a bit more different mindset than the oldies.

Slowly time has come to have a game change, i guess with FIAT it is evident now since the move of the HQ to london, major changes with in plus a realization of having a strong foot into the US soil via Chrysler. Hopefully things get stronger in India too.
    asimpleson likes this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Many Italian companies, actually globally all companies are getting acquired by bigger giants, due to slowness, hardly anyone is immune this process; change or perish. On the topic of younger generation, MV Augusta had similar fate before the son took over after natural succession but not before some miracles, which is sheer luck. Fortunately now Daimler (Mercedes Benz) have adopted it in their stable and the future looks full of great possibilities for the company. As far as giant like FIAT is concerned, Indian market should be very important as any perhaps due to the huge development scope and possibilities here in all areas including research and abundance of engineering talent, which just needs more nurturing.

From Wiki article on MV Augusta —
    "Heavily in debt, the manufacturer was bought by Malaysian car maker Proton in December 2004 for 70 million. In December 2005 Proton sold MV Agusta to GEVI SpA, a Genoa-based financing company related to Carige, for a token one euro excluding debt. By 2006 GEVI SpA, with 65% of the share capital, had refinanced MV Agusta, allowing the company to continue, in its native Italy."

Surely hope what you say work..! For Indian customers and globally too for Fiat. :)
    zenwalker likes this.
  8. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

Chennai
    Not really. In India everything comes behind Brand image. If brand image is good sales will pick up.
    How Zen, Swift, Santro, I10 became a popular hatch?? Because, people know about the brand which introduced these car's. It's not
    because these cars are better that FIAT cars.

Brand image is just not about success. You can see VW is also not that successful in India. But, what about their brand image? People in India perceive VW as a premium brand. Why? Because, people know that, (VW is a German brand, It is one of the biggest brand in the World, VW has so many brands under them-Seat, Skda, Audi etc). So, Indians consider VW as a premium brand.

Now, ask the same Indians about FIAT brand? (They will tell, FIAT is a samll Indian company. Until 10 years ago, they used to have one car in their company(Premier Padmini). Now, FIAT is acquired by TATA. Now, you can see how the FIAT brand image goes to the bottom of the pile in common mans thought.
    Example., a friend of mine told that Punto has been copied from Indica. I have to explain him that FIAT is a big Global player and Punto
    is already being sold worldwide and is in the market, even before Indica was manufactured.

Had the common man known that, FIAT is one of the biggest brand in the world, FIAT is world's 7th largest company.
    It has many brands under them(FERRARI, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Abarth etc), the brand image will automatically change for good in
    the common man's mind and he will certainly consider a FIAT while purchase decision is going on.

Now, due to lack of Brand image and details, FIAT car's are not even considered while buying discussions were going on.
    THIS IS BASIC COMMON SENSE.So, advertising about the brand will certainly help it's sales number to increase.

I guess, FIAT Factory meet is the right place to express this issue to the FIAT officials.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes that can be done, but only if the corporate guys from sales/marketing are present.

See the sales which is the key question of this thread, can have a long lasting effect with a successful model. How will you create brand image without brand presence (or visibility). What you said is true about brand awareness/consciousness, but that alone cannot ensure success. The long term sales will depend on some huge success, which will make it easier for a whole lot more people to accept this as their first car. Perceived safety in buying decision even if it is herd mentality. Changing mentality is not an easy job, it will take cultural shifts before such things happen and majority people see the reality. There are a huge no. of risk averse people about whom there have been mentions in various posts on forum about how they perceive things.

Something like a common mans car. Since you mentioned VW, the Golf or Polo has that image in the west, though it is a premium hatch in India.
  10. srinivaschandalada

srinivaschandalada Amatore

Kakinada
    kakinada
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If fiat is taking so long and not the least bothered to to open a dealership in Andhra Pradesh , no wonder the sales are horrible. My cousin who waited 5 months for a linea has booked a skoda rapid, I myself got my new i20 (instead of evo) and will probably wait for another month or so to cancel my avventura urge and go in for the ecosport. But don't worry I have my beloved punto.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.