1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Sales Thread (2014)

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Linea T-Jet
    When I went for loan in SBI, the chief manager of the branch was repeatedly asking me to never go for FIAT (according to him TATA owns FIAT). One of the top ranked officer of my company too emphasised to drop the idea for buying a FIAT. Friends I don't know what mistakes FIAT did in past regarding service, spare part & niggles, but the toll being paid is evident. One of my friend interested in Evo, dropped the idea as his elders scared him by telling painful stories of owning a FIAT.
    What can possibly be done to regain the trust of majority? Most guys has perception of poor service & spares availability, I think a separate TVC is needed for service & spare parts management :mad:.
    Why would anyone take risk of putting money in brand which is a proven notorious for it ASS?:grumpy:
    dadasaheb likes this.
  2. bharath

bharath Regolare

Sadly, the equation needs to minus the Surat Merchant's gift to his employees which amounts to roughly around 1413 ! Unless the discounts are released ,the count should be revolving around 1500+ or - even with the addition of Avventura.It clearly indicates that the customers don't accept half hearted efforts/products and other manufacturers have gone forward too ,be it performance or features !
    Fiat can only be seen as a VFM product with decent maintenance cost on par with MS and everything else which it has been carrying over some years has been overshadowed.It is something that Fiat Italy to take the Indian market seriously with brand new products/engines or else the story continues! Expecting the sales count to atleast maintain the 1500 mark until the new releases by 2016.
    Raj_pol likes this.
  3. bibin

bibin Regolare

I believe if you ask that "chief manager" which is the best and safest hatch in India- he will say swift and about engines he will say Suzuki has its own diesel engines now and Suzuki stopped using fiat engines.

i heard it once i was travelling in a train when three mind blowing fans of MS all above 40 were discussing about their cars.

you can't blame them this is their belief and MS SA's does contribute to them
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    @bibin As they say perceptions are everything and you must agree , Fiat is also not trying at all. Hyundai may or may not make good products - we will not get into that debate. However, they are fighting it out with MS and you can see their efforts. MS owns half the Indian car market. They still are trying to win more (does not matter that the products have zero safety, if India is happy with a tin can that gives a mileage of 100 sell them a tin car. You are not here to save the world, you cannot).

Even Honda is venturing into unknown territories. For Fiat it is like "Coming soon....since we do not know :p"
    Honestly, I was not impressed with the Avventura and I have seen the same in person. Now the 500X at around XUV prices or a lakh higher --that would have been a bold move.

For 2015 in the volumes market we have nothing. Anything that looks like a Punto even with a 1000BHP engine will still be a Punto in India. If you increase mileage substantially that is another game altogether.

Oh well who am I talking to :p Now how to solve the blue & me issue with Odin :p
    bibin likes this.
  5. cassini

cassini Novizio

Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys, like it or not, Fiat's sales numbers are going to hover-around in the 1000-2000 range for the foreseeable future. I don't think even the Fiat management is expecting anything better. The masses still equate Fiat's A.S.S with that of Skoda, the absolute worst of the worst. Perception is changing, but it will take time. Remember, till about 2012, Fiat India's story was nothing short of a nightmare. The sales numbers does not reflect the quality of car Fiat makes. It reflects the lack of confidence customers have on the brand. And once lost, customer-confidence is a hard thing to come by in a conservative market like ours.

I my opinion, Fiat India bottomed out in 2012. That was the time when people where wondering whether Fiat is going to shut shop in India altogether. I know this because, I booked my Punto in 2012 and back then I was really worried about Fiat's future prospects in India. But things have changed for the better since. I think Fiat is on the right track now. New launches, improved marketing (beautiful advertisements, I must add, and an active YouTube channel does help too), classy showrooms (Fiat Caffe was a brilliant idea), and most importantly, improved service quality. It is a miracle that Fiat managed to keep their sales numbers intact even though they had just 2 products, both of which more than 5 years old. This is the same market where every other manufacturer except Maruti, Hyundai, M&M, and Honda failed to make any dent even after launching product after product. TATAs are facing extinction in their own home market. And even with all its might, Maruti has not been able to make any major win in the premium segment except for Swift. Unless some miracle happens, the average Indian-psyche towards Fiat is not going to change anytime soon.

As a car market, India is still in its infancy. We still dis-proportionately prefer mileage over safety, features over ride and handling and looks over build-quality. In fact, it is not a matter of preference even. Most among the car-buying population are not even aware of parameters such as ride/handling or build quality because they are not measurable, they are just empty words for them. And most of the car-buying population are first or second-gen buyers, which makes matters worst for players like Fiat. Indian car market is also maturing and I just hope that Fiat is well-equipped to meet the demands of a maturing Indian market in the years and decades to come. It's going to be a long waiting game for Fiat and till they gain back at least some of the customer confidence that they managed to destroy over the last two decades, Fiat will remain in the bottom five of Indian automotive industry.

The next gen Punto and Linea are coming in 2016 and that's when I'm expecting major changes in sales numbers. In my opinion, everything happening right now should be considered as nothing but a build-up exercise towards 2016-2018 product launches that includes the small SUVs and Jeep brand. Hope FIAT is able to pull it off. To be frank, I'm quite optimistic about Fiat's future prospects in India even though it looks pretty bleak now.
  6. acechip

acechip Superiore

Basically Fiat has never really marketed itself as a company different from the Premier Padmini. It suffered this issue during the Palio days as well. Heck, Fiat has never marketed itself at all. Where is their current brand ambassador? Why did they not persist with Sachin ? He would have continued gladly for a tidy sum.
    Ichimaru and VIJENDRA SINGH like this.
  7. JohnyBoy

JohnyBoy Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    At least 80-90% of these car are sold in cities like Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi. Again 80-90% of the running time, these cars are 'moving' in daily office going bumper-to-bumper traffic. Do they really need airbags? I mean, it is safe and better to have. But what are the chances of a fatal accident in this traffic?
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Very much possible. Accidents also happen even when you are not driving and wait at a signal.

You might have missed this - http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/punto-1-3mjd-emotion-pk-90-hp.3770/page-9#post-121253
  9. JohnyBoy

JohnyBoy Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    I'm not saying accidents don't happen while waiting or in bumper to bumper traffic. What are the chances of a such accident being fatal or major one. I'm not saying there absolutely no chance of accident, there is, but it's low.
    So most people may be thinking airbags is not needed.

And I'm not saying you should not have airbags. I have airbags in my car and I do hope everyone insist on airbags.
  10. acechip

acechip Superiore

The time has come to not allow consciously proven safety technologies such as ABS and dual Airbags (min) to be optional. 10 years ago, we did not have BS-4 emission standards too. But they did get introduced and implemented gradually. Similarly seatbelts. Although I think a more farsighted government would have taken the step of introducing ABS/airbags at that time itself, and not succumbing to Auto lobby. Actually everyone has been quite foolish here, the Auto industry amongst them. The perceived loss of profit per-car would have been overcome at the current volumes by now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.