1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Sales Thread (2014)

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India

I did not take your post personally, rather it moved me enough to pick up my lazy a** and write all that I did.
    I did not, by any means, meant that FIATs do not have features that are needed. THey have all of them, heck more than the ones really needed if you ask me but since the market has moved ahead and cars are no longer just bought to fulfil needs, FIAT must step up its game.

Personally, I think if they wanted to make the Evo look exactly like the Avventura, they should have launched Avventura first; build a brand around it; make it desirable enough and then launched the Evo.

Nevertheless, things are definitely much better than last couple of years for FIAT and I hope the trend continues.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. Ram_Madhukar

Ram_Madhukar Timido

@Ichimaru . You need to be complemented for your analysis and recommendations. I have a palio as well as a linea and I vouch for your views. The image of linea has been eroded (not entirely unjustified) to an underpowered machine with cramped interiors for its class.
    The three major specifications that one compares are the bhp, the mileage and the cost and the present models come out second best in all. Tjet which is a petrol vehicle just fractionally lower in price than a diesel linea is not in the reckoning because it has to compete with the City which enjoys a much better reputation in India.
    Without getting into the micro aspects at least two of the three specifications have to be improved substantially to repair the dented reputation.
    Lastly can they have better advertisements. The present ones are too laid back to attract the comman consumer.
    Before some of the die hard fiat guys come at me with hammer and tongs, I hasten to add that I have been a Fiat owner, follower and fan for twelve years.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hi Madhukar, welcome man.

Agreed fully about the marketing of the new Linea. They're doing a so much better job of advertising/marketing the Evo and, already, Avventura. The Linea, even the diesel, remains class-leading in so many respects, not least VFM (now that Honda and Hyundai's pricing has become exorbitant IMO), they could easily sell twice or thrice as many with better, edgier, more penetrative advertising. Fiat should avoid discounting it, and instead spend those same monies on advertising.

Every new Linea on the road adds to the brand, is its own marketing. Am glad Fiat is paying for the dealers to display the Evo and Avventura in malls. The same has to be done with the Linea too, and not just in the most exclusive malls in the biggest metro-s but especially in more middle-class malls in metro-s and in tier 2 cities like Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Nagpur or Bhubhaneshwar?
    Ichimaru and Ram_Madhukar like this.
  4. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    Welcome to the forum and what an insightful first post! :)

I believe Palio owners are some of the biggest fans FIAT has had in India, true FIATians to the core! My mom still misses her Palio 1.2 NV Sports.
    I think another mistake that FIAT made was that they initially launch the TJET engine only with the top end variants. I remember a lot of people at that time bought the Fiesta 1.6S as they were looking for a cheap fun to drive car. If the Linea TJET would have been available in the lower trims, that would have surely translated into some numbers and would have helped this amazing engine to make its mark in the market.

The same mistake was repeated when the 90HP Diesel was launched only with the top most variant of Punto. At that time, the i20 did not have the 90PS diesel engine nor did the Polo. The most powerful Indian Diesel hatch starting from as low as 5.XX Lacs would easily have created a USP and differentiating factor for Punto.

What pains me is that every short coming of a FIAT is extremely exaggerated. Case in hand, Punto is always criticized for the lack of rear space to no end. However, the other day I sat in a Polo GT TSI which is by far the worst car I have seen in terms of interior space for that kind of money! Still the so called auto journalists in India would not pay much attention to it.
    Ram_Madhukar, bharath and prabhjot like this.
  5. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I don't remember lack of space has ever been exaggerated. If its word of mouth , then may be yes. But most reviews magazines/online forums do agree to the fact that Punto is the second most spacious premium hatch behind i20(not considering Liva or Vista which are not exactly premium or Jazz which isn't sold in India anymore). Check the recent comparo of the Evo Vs Polo Vs i20 Vs Swift and you would find Punto being second in these comparos.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 11, 2014 ---
    Well I do agree to these points mentioned. Fiat needs to put some effort to register itself in the minds of propective car buyers. I do believe that what ever foot falls Fiat has is due to the existing customers buying new vehicles or FIAT followers/fans being able to convince new buyers. Even that is very difficult to do unless the person is some sort of enthusiast. Else very few people would agree to even go for a test drive especially in smaller cities. Most of them do not have a show room or if there are any there are more horror stories on FASS. The perception needs to change.

Secondly I do not see any effort from FIAT as a company to get more foot falls in the show room. I bought a Punto in May 2014 and after that I would have recieved close to 20 calls to check if I am intrested in buying a Punto ,then Punto Evo after it was launched and now Avventura after its launch plans were made public. I mean how many people will buy the same car again and again. I can understand a call after 3-4 years when people may have plans to upgrade or chnage the car.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    prabhjot likes this.

Linea T-Jet
    Friends any update regarding September sales figure?
  7. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Linea 1.3
    Where are latest sales figures?
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Sep'14 Sales Figure - Source

Punto - 806
    Linea - 199
    Total - 1005

• Punto is able to maintain its sales numbers ~800, with EVO.
    • Linea is marginally improved, but just missed 200 mark.
    • Let's see if Avventura brings any smile to Fiat India's face.

Sep sales.png
  9. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Linea T-Jet
    So There is no change in sales even after Punto Evo.
  10. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    Graphical representation of data prepared by @Ravi

Monthwise Sales Figures

MoM Change

Looking at the trend above no sign of improvement yet for FIAT. :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.