1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Sales Thread (2014)

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    FIAT thinks that all future/prospective customers are on Facebook and expect them to know about FIAT plans and launches from Facebook and twitter.
    For the first time, I saw an Evo Advt on Times today. Why cant they have a focused A & M plan ?
  2. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Fiat is more than co-operative when it comes to after sales when compared to other manufacturers. Its really the quality of some spares used which are bad and also the attitude of FASS. If these improve, along with better marketing and proper prices (in my view Fiat cars are overpriced considering the trust people have on the brand) Fiat could achieve better figures
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    f it were only Fiat's incompetence and lack of commitment etc, and not a market severely distorted by herding and indifference/ignorance of most cars, brands, and car companies, why would almost all models from almost all non-Maruti/non-Hyundai/non-Honda firms be not just relative sales failures but absolute ones?

This is a market whose signals to prospective buyers are very distorted because previous buyers have been too risk-averse, too poorly informed, and too wedded to resale/ass/reliability reputations.

Higher sales=higher turnover for dealers=better ASS=better resale values=higher sales is a feedback loop found in all markets around the world but nowhere else is this (and other) herding of car buyer behaviour anywhere as extreme.

We must appreciate how tough this market is not just for Fiat but also for Nissan, Renault (only Duster), Skoda, VW, Chevrolet, and even Ford (only Ecosport), and they don't even have the long and difficult history in the Indian market that Fiat does. ALL these firms are losing money in India, many are sitting on accumulated losses of thousands of crores, and are carrying on only because of exports. That points to a 'structural' problem in this market, not one that is easy to combat with better marketing etc.

Good thing then that Fiat's Tata JV plant is profitable already, with more profits coming with the Zest and Bolt becoming hits, and once Jeep starts local assembly and manufacture.
    1 person likes this.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Forget about Fiat.

Nissan with 5 cars in its portfolio sold only 2900 units with Terrano alone making 1600. Datsun Go and Micra sells less than that of 15 year old car Hyundai Santro. Indians seriously have brand problem I think.
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    +1, in that segment, Datson Go is really a good offering. Feels much premium, bigger engine but still we know the results
  6. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Guys, whatever may be the argument, I am not sure with what confidence the first time car buyer will choose to buy a brand which sells in less numbers ? A first time car buyer will not need all the USPs of Fiat or any other competition to Maruthi/Hyundai. Imagine, my car was in service centre for 45 days continuously for lack of spares, technical knowledge and so on. But I didn't care a damn not because I love Fiat and all the features and excellent drive it offers, but because I had a backup Maruthi which is 6 years old then and 8 now. They didn't give me a loaner car too. What if I had only my Linea and no backup car ?

Everybody in my office loves the way the Fiat drives and all the comfort and they want to take the wheel every time we go for a drive, but they don't want to own one and the very reason every one said it " Boss, we can’t afford a day without my car, we don't have a backup car and we cannot spend so much time trying to pamper my car. We have a family to tend to".

I whole heartedly agree with them and find no fault with their decisions.

Let me be very honest, cars are bough with hard earned money and people want to be safe with their investment even though cars are a depreciating assets. It’s actually smart to be risk averse when investing hard earned money and they are rightly sticking to a proven Brand for years. Who will help that poor chap when he buys an xyz brand of low volume and he faces some issues. let’s take Fiat for example and not the so called minor issues, but issues which needs to be escalated to Fiat and needs to keep Mangesh in loop even for arrival of parts? How many commoners are going to manage that ?

This is absolutely true. But we also need to consider the fact that India has a crap consumer law and enforcement when compared to other countries ex. US. Fighting against a company for selling a Lemon here in India is absolutely a horrendous experience. We say let’s solve amicably with the company and that is because we all know taking to court is going drain our energy and the judgment is going to take eons to come and the compensation provided is going to be peanuts compared to other countries.

The day when the consumers are empowered and backed by the government in true practical sense, I feel all these Mass phobia will change.

PS. This is just my view and its not to hurt anyone. Let the love for the brand not make us overlook the very reasons for commoners running after M,H and H brands.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    4 people like this.
  7. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Let alone a new buyer, as an existing buyer, I would never buy a Fiat again. I have had such a horrendous experience owning a Punto for 3+ years that it has made me lose all trust over the brand. This is something that my close friends and family members have surely observed me go through. When they themselves are in the market for a new vehicle, will they consider buying a Fiat? I am pretty sure that even other current Fiat owners from Assam will never go for another Fiat, given what they have been subjected to by Fiat India. Though everyone in this forum has had different experiences, Fiat certainly doesn't come across as a manufacturer that backs its customers like the way companies like Maruti, Honda et al do. When it is time for me to upgrade, I will certainly go for something that is reliable over something that appeals to an enthusiast but compromises on reliability, service quality and support in a big big way.
    1 person likes this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Feedback loop, like I said, leading to herding (which is totally rational in a way). The question is why is it SO much more prevalent in our market than in ANY other?

For example, if, unlike long suffering Rituraj in Assam, you live in one of the ten biggest cities, where the ASS and spares situation are, if not consistently excellent then certainly adequate and improving for all firms, do almost all cars other than Maruti, Hyundai and now Honda not sell much at all?

Methinks the truth is: the vast majority of Indians are just too risk-averse, too sentimental about the 'hassle-free' experience, 'guaranteed', just too careless about the core values that define automotive culture EVERYWHERE ELSE in the world: safety-build, ride, handling, steering, performance and design. They are buying cars ONLY for the appliance-like convenience, and ONLY for a vague rather than cultivated, knowing status-claiming/signalling.

And where five or six go, 2 or 3 more follow because of herd-effects (resale value etc), leaving only AT BEST 20% of buyers as even merely addressable by a firm like Fiat or Skoda or Nissan or Renault or Chevy.

And as sales stats from recent months clearly suggest, this market character is actually increasing, getting worse, despite there now being as many as 12 players in the mass market segments.
    2 people like this.
  9. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Bro, This is something much bigger than JUST the Automotive sector. I wouldn't say that we(Indians) are particularly Risk-averse just for the hassle free experience. No, am not considering the Automotive sector, its in common. If you see, the Social structure is completely different in India and we give more importance to the cumulative need and well being of our family members than self Gratification. We give preference for buying a house over the car. Not sure whether its due to status or not, but I feel we give importance to the more functional thing I guess. On the negative aspect, safety takes the last option in our mindset. Get a lower trim bigger sedan than a fully loaded(ABS,Airbags) Hatchback. But I can see the trend changing in the last two three years.

Now coming to the even bigger question. If the Mass Market vehicles are not safe like Fiat, why are they even allowed by the government to be sold here ? I still don't think the people are to be blamed. They have so much to do other than being an automobile enthusiast and the largest selling car in India currently has status symbol only when compared to a Bike and not with other cars( with R15,Duke,Ninja,CBRs even that is not the case any more. I can buy an second hand car cheaper than a new bike )

Maruthi and Hyundai are not real status symbol cars. Both these companies are yet to have a break in to D segments. In my opinion, all these Herding happens in sub 10 lakhs category and to be right, these mass market cars are exactly bought for convenience of carrying the family in convenience when compared to bike and that is WHY, they don't look in to steering, performance,handling and all others. Putting it in a different way, having a car in the family is a status symbol and not the make and model of the car which defines the status symbol( except for 800 and Nano).

Thinking out loud, Being risk averse is being safe right :anyone. And if you think I am a safe model kind of guys, just letting you know I was scorching tarmac on two wheels in Chennai MMRT( Race track) and every twitch of the body in a bike changes the trajectory and no seatbelts.
    Btw,45 days in service centre is not a joke in Chennai. It was paining to see my hard earner money covered in dust in a service centre due to spares and lack of technical prowess.

All said, if Maruthi gives me a car with all USP of my linea, then you guys don't want to know what my actions will be. I don't to start a war here. :ban
    5 people like this.
  10. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    Touch wood I dont have any single complaint against the service support. except in the divorce time where TATA was not even ready to touch my Palio!

I think it is more appropriate to say, we fiatians would be 10 times more happy if FIAT gives 50% of service support or spare parts support what MS is offering!
    2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.