1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Sales (2012) discussion

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    March 2012 was the best month EVER for auto companies in India.

Fiat's partner Tata, for the first time in their history sold over 100,000 units.

Scared of the expected excise duty increase (which materialised) & diesel tax (which didn't) people rushed to buy car's. This was the perfect opportunity for Fiat to scavenge on lost sales of competitor's car's that have a long waiting period like the Swift in hatchback's and Verna in sedan's.

STILL, Fiat sales are down.

The Punto is down almost 29% M-O-M!

If the above does not point to the fact that Fiat is a lame horse in the Indian automotive scene then I don't know what it will take some die hard fans to understand this fact.

For those that are satisfied with the fact that Fiat's arrangement to supply Maurti with it's diesel engines will mean Fiat stays afloat, please remember, that the agreement is for 3 years. For all you know, Maruti will enhance it's capacity to manufacture more diesel engine's what will Fiat do then?

What the sales charts show is that there are people that still preferred to wait for a Swift or Verna knowing that they will have to pay more due to higher excise and diesel tax then buy a off the shelf avaliable Punto & Linea.

If this doesn't worry the big shots at Fiat India & Italy then nothing ever will.

You cannot wake up someone pretending to be asleep.
    3 people like this.
  2. rajasimhan.v

rajasimhan.v

Even I had my issues with Fiat in terms of delivery still the driving experience of Punto is awesome and as a car I would recommend punto to anyone. The way TATA's are screwing what Fiat deserves is making me sad, but, it is what it is and Fiat has to pay the price for what they are doing. No good will come to you just with hope and sitting idle, you need to perform , change your strategy and just don't think of survival, think of becoming a master.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    They are already setting up a diesel engine plant by investing 1700 cr or so i read.
  4. saharsh

saharsh Regolare

Noida
    Fiat Linea- 461
    Fiat Punto-954

I can say nothing but these things comes to my mind::shock::shocked:evilsmile
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  5. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Appears that FIAT India is busy trying to meet it's targets by manufacturing diesel engines. Probably they are so busy that they do not have time to worry. As far as FIAT Italy goes, India may not be featuring in their priority regions

Ideally sales should have touched atleast 4000 to 5000. However it did'nt and it is disheartening. Price competitiveness is extremely important. This is something that FIAT India lacks. The common man shall not go in for FIAT unless he finds a huge cost advantage. These are my views only and not meant to hurt anyone

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Appears that FIAT India is busy trying to meet it's targets by manufacturing diesel engines. Probably they are so busy that they do not have time to worry. As far as FIAT Italy goes, India may not be featuring in their priority regions

Ideally sales should have touched atleast 4000 to 5000. However it did'nt and it is disheartening. Price competitiveness is extremely important. This is something that FIAT India lacks. The common man shall not go in for FIAT unless he finds a huge cost advantage. These are my views only and not meant to hurt anyone
  6. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Is this manufacturing diesel engines notion correct? If I am not mistaken Suzuki has the rights to manufacture the MJD engine in India. Arent they doing it on their own? Or are they still sourcing it from the FIAT plant?
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    And just why should Fiat sales should increase? What has Fiat AND TATA done to increase sales? A basic service they Can't provide?
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I feel the biggest mistake Fiat has done is to handover the complete sales responsibility to TATA. Fiat should have at least started few own dealer networks. Somebody want to handover the marketing responsibility of his own product to some one else spreads the message that he want to move away from responsibilities. This feeling is what not giving confidence in public.
  9. jayakrishnakola

jayakrishnakola Regolare

Bangalore
    fiat could have just left the older fiat only showrooms and service centres alone and made a deal of another 150 showrooms across india with tata till 2014and in the mean while they would have time to set up their own showrooms throught the country..... along with the release of niggle free panda, palio 2012, the new sienna as an entry level sedan......

@ panda i have myself asked many people by showing the picture -" if you had the money to buy a wagonR and you were given a choice of this car with the multijet engine, what would you buy?" no one wanted a wagonR......
    @ palio 2012- the name palio has a very good feed back as a strong and stable car at high speeds in indian minds,placing it just a lakh below punto would do the trick....
    @ the new sienna- a car that can be used by the indian cab drivers really helps a lot in volume sales.... should be priced right next to mahindra verito and the swift desire
  10. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    If Fiat India is happy supplying engines to Maruti then they are speeding towards disaster. What they are doing is not a sustainable business. Maruti will set up a new plant in Gujarat and manufacture engines on their own.

Yes, it does look like Fiat Italy is focussed on Chrysler at the moment. They are trying to develop and swap badge Chrysler & Fiat cars for US and European markets.

Fiat's are not priced so bad that sales will suffer because of that. I have said this many times in the past and I say it again. Fiat needs to think why people are willing to wait 6 months for a Swift but wouldn't buy a readily available Punto? Why people are willing to pay 10 lakhs for a Vento but not less money for a Linea? Why people, spooked by the expected excise duty hike & diesel tax in the budget still preferred to wait & were willing to pay more for a Swift , Verna & Vento? Fiat could not even scavenge sales of competition in March. Forget being stable, Fiat sales are actually down compared to March 2011!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.