1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Linea 1.6 MJD

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Arun1100, Apr 12, 2011.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I wonder what's stopping FIAT India from giving the Linea that 1.3 MJD 105 Bhp package.:confused:

In my opinion , thats a more suitable thing to do than plonk in the mighty 1.6 Multijet.

Gurjinder.
  2. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai

Knowing both engines I have to disagree. Although the 1.3 is capable of about 200bhp it would not be my first choice. The 1.6 is a more refined unit and will be much torquier.

The turbo control to achieve good low down torque is much more complicated on the smaller engine. The Linea needs the 1.6. It is about as heavy as the Bravo. I find the Bravgo 1.6 just about alright, but prefer the Bravo 2.0, which is what the Linea would be perfect for.
  3. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As far as I know : the Linea 1.6 is not coming anytime soon.

I may be completely wrong : but I don't see why mechanics in South India will be trained first when Mumbai & Pune are closer !!

Off topic : @Drifter : Your signature is awesome !! :)
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    Sorry for the off topic , but will u shed a bit more light on this.
    The internals and the turbo, especially.

Since , 200 bhp from a small displacement might mean lag all the way.

Also, what are your opinions on making the power delivery that much more linear by a remap. I value a linear power delivery more than a peaky high bhp rating. More horses throughout the rev range in a linear rather than a peaky fashion.

Gurjinder.
  5. i guess its high time fiat launches 1.6mjd considering new verna n fiesta are coming. cmon FIAT show some aggresion pleeezzzzz FIAT we are waiting. u have great product u jst need agressive marketing.....:(:(:(
  6. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    Before going to extremes you have to know the limits of the engine block. The little 1248cc engine can take quite a beating.

Lag depends on the arrangement. To lower the lag problem a number of measures can be taken.

1. Bring the turbo as close to the exhaust as possible.
    2. Optimise the air intake.
    3. Optimise the exhaust system
    4. Keep the volume between the turbo and the ports is little as possible.
    5. Turbo arrangement.

Turbo technology has advanced quite a bit. Variable vanes can cut the lag within reason and when going for extreme power for a specific capacity then it is advisable to run a sequential turbo set-up.

The way the re-map is set-up depends on the use of the car as well as what the driver expects from it.

A linear torque delivery is comfortable and still gets the car going. However when wanting the maximum acceleration possible then you use the maximum possible boost throughout the rpm range, which will result in a peaky torque delivery, where the peak torque appears fairly lowdown the rpm range.

To make it less peaky either you have the expensive sequential turbo set-up or increase capacity if you want to maintsin a high torque level throughout the rpm range.

This is why Fiat should consider the 1.6.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Hi Peter,

Agree with you that the 1.6 MJD will obviously be a refined engine and will handle the power comfortably.

I wanted to what are the exact differences in mechanicals of 1.3 MJD 90hp and 1.3 MJD 105hp.

Also i am having an opinion that 200hp for 1.3mjd is too optimistic.
  8. 1.6 MJD is coming only by end of 2011 or early 2012 (confirmed news from a FIAT official) and Dualogic by mid 2012.
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    @drifter

Pretty complex setup for 200 bhp, if possible that is. Would be better to put in a 1.9 with a wicked remap. ;)

My second query was this:

The Linea 1.3 MJD, although having a VGT , does suffer from lag most noticeable in the rpm's 1100-1650 ( approx). Its almost like a flat spot or even worse in the power curve.

I wanted to know , that by a remap , can we eliminate such flat spots in the curve and make the car GO right from rpm's as low as 1100 or so, eliminating the lag? That means adding horses, torques where it is needed the most . Rather than simply increasing my BHP's or Newton Metres for poser status.

Gurjinder.
  10. pammuluvcars

pammuluvcars Regolare

IN
    Recently I have noticed something. When the car picks up speed volume increases and when I slow down it decreases. Last night i was listening to music from CD and I was discussing this with my friend. He didnt believe it. Then I was climbing down a fly over and i accelerated hard and there it goes.....audio volume started to increase.....as soon as i touched the brake and slowed down....volume decreased. Now my friend was also convinced. Mine is a Linea emotion pack. Anyone else had the same experience? I guess it is a feature....may be.... :)