1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Future Plans

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Dec 6, 2012.

1. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Why the heck does it happen !! :O :O now when the 1.6 comes to linea/aventura, people will think fiat sourced it from maruti :banghead: . BTW who is manufacturing it, fiat in india? anyway fiat can launch sport variant of aventura, may be with Tjet in petrol and 1.6 in diesel (head on head with duster 110) for next festive season !
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Guys, the test is not done on Indian Shores. Suzuki has access to the 1.6 but can only sell in Europe. So hold on to the speculations please.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @nkrishnap Hi.

I believe the exact timing and certainly its application in the Linea (etc) are speculative but not that it is coming.

Mike Manley himself stated very clearly at the time of the global five year plan a few months ago if you recall that they will by 2018 go from four engines locally made to six, and from one transmission to three. Their original India plan from two years ago clearly stated the 1.6 mjd for the Linea, ironically the only part of the plan they've failed to stick to so far.

Autocar has had recent reports, quoting un-named direct Fiat APAC sources of the 1.5 version of the mjd for the 2016 Fiat b-suv and the 2016 India-made localized Jeep AND its use on not just the S-Cross in India but also the 2016 Maruti b-suv (sub-4m) XAlpha. Also Maruti and Fiat have just extended the engine supply agreement in India by another 3 years.

And there is the long-rumoured-in-the-Japanese-and-US-press even bigger tie-up between Suzuki and FiatChrysler, to which India is central, once the VW-Suzuki arbitration award is through, which it will be in the next few months, apparently.

I live in Gurgaon, right near the famous original Maruti Udyog factory. I have seen the S-Cross (with black camouflage) driving up and down NH8 numerous times. It WILL launch in early-mid 2015, and it WILL come with the 1.6 (1.5 mjd) that is dead sure, i believe, from numerous sourced-from-Maruti reports.

And so the speculation is only about timing and Fiat's own chosen applications of it, if any, before the 2016 cars on which it will have to deployed.

Having said that, I personally don't see the need or the business case for the 1.5/1.6 mjd on the current cars as being at all strong or compelling. The 1.3 mjd is pretty damn good enough! And is hardly the reason the Linea's sales have tapered off so much.

Now, the t-jet on the Avventura, and the Abarth Punto?! That is both a delicious prospect, and a good market/business one too for us and for Fiat, no?
    nbvcrao and asimpleson like this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    You mentioned perfectly. While it would be extremely fun to drive (the 1.6mjd) it will be great if they manage to keep even the 1.3 displacement, given the ever increasing demand from national and international environmental watchdogs and other governmental agencies. If only they get the abarth team to tweak it a bit and upgrade it to MJD2 injection and ECM and perhaps get the latest and best from Honeywell Garrett turbos, they could manage to push out another 10bhp or 15bhp and better torque curves in right RPMs with the existing MJD. That should also help pull off the performance and fuel economy and emission balance needed for times today. Make it as peppy as the Swift and people have much less to complain.
    nbvcrao, jackharrisw and prabhjot like this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

Yeah! And/Or just offer the Avventura tune on the Evo too. Still: i do think there's a bigger though still niche market for a big-DIESEL hot hatch i.e., Abarth. As proven by the half-decent sales of the VW GT models.

Hope they're thinking of a diesel India-special Abarth Punto to go with the promised t-jet one, but they'll need the 1.5/1.6 mjd for that, won't they? maybe, maybe.....all great hopes/speculations lead to a wait for (early) 2016, it seems. ;-)
    asimpleson likes this.
  6. avithe1

avithe1 Amatore

(Mira Rd) Thane.
    Linea 1.3
    I am not an expert with engines , have driven only my Spark.
    All this time I have spent on various forums (silently)

For the 1.3 litre Multijet == It is underpowered , but after 1500 RPM its fun
    Now for the 1.6 Multijet == It is underpowered , but after 1500 RPM its fun

I think its enough, people will never be satisfied with anything.
    The problem is that I keep reading and reading , keep postponing my plans.
    First it was the Linea , then wait for 2014 linea , then wait and see if its plonked with 1.6.
    I think as prabhjot says, 1.3 is good enough.
    I am really looking forward to buy an Avventura or the Linea in 2015 :)
    rishike007, jackharrisw and prabhjot like this.
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

I dont think the size of the engine should matter at all for the power . It is how the existing power is extracted and harnessed. The Formula one engine is only 1.8L, down from 3 L. The power hasnt dropped nor the laptimes significantly. The 1.3/76/90 is quite sufficient. Wait for the new structurally strong but weight reduced Punto in 2016. It will answer most doubts. As always power is addictive, and more is always sought. It is reality that is the need of the hour. No point waiting and postponing. Enjoy the moment because tomorrow nobody knows.

8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Guys the websire Rushlane claims, for whatever their word is worth, that they have been told by Fiat India inside sources that Fiat WILL surely launch the t-jet on the Punto Evo and even the Avventura (badged Abarth) in the third quarter of 2015.

An Abarth Avventura is a splendid, and very workeable/viable, idea dhandaa-wise IMO. Rushlane's source says they will both be priced around 9-10 lakhs Rs.

I, for one, would be very tempted, given my increasing preference for smaller cars or even bikes/scooters, to exchange my Linea t-jet for an Abarth Avventura! ;-)

Apparently the Abarth 500 Competizione (t-jet 135 hp with AMT) is being launched at the Autocar performance show in Bombay very soon.

If the news about the Abarth Avventura is true, along with the previously committed-to Abarth Punto, Fiat will need to give the brand adequate and INNOVATIVE marketing support. Something they've given the Avventura and to a lesser extent the Evo but failed to, completely, with the new Linea. It can be a dry-run for the big marketing task coming up for them next year: the proper, big loud-enough launch of the Jeep brand.
  9. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Launches are fine but what about publicity? Fiat india is really behaviouring very silent. And the silence might broke once abarth start roaring. ;)
  10. acechip

acechip Superiore

Agree- As mentioned in another post, when I met a PAndit Auto person at an Avvy exhibit last Sunday, a couple of curious onlookers (typical 35-ish IT types) asked, has this car been launched yet ??

So much for the Feel Alive marketing..
    mangeshtendulkar and rishike007 like this.