1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Future Plans

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Dec 6, 2012.

1. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    even Coimbatore sees a decent number of sales about 20-30 cars with only one dealer with a very small showroom.
    may be it's just the northern part of India that doesn't see any sales.
    When are we going to hear the new FCA plans from Mr. Machironne again?
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. Revv

Revv Amatore

Chinchwad, Pune
    Chinchwadgaon Pune
    Linea 1.4
    I see many Fiats in Pune too. So I guess Fiat sells are mainly in Kerala, Pune and Bangalore.
    varoon9999 likes this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @nkrishnap

I would not buy the Aegea even at 8 lakh rupees since am delighted rather with my 2014 new Linea t-jet! i would happily, however, pay upto 18 or even 20 lakhs for the 500X or Renegade(2018?2019?Never?), my own dad, aged though he may be :), would/will happily pay upto say 25lakhs for the Jeep c-suv(2017).

The post about the Aegea was motivated by the comment from a dealership manager, who claimed the Tipo would come in 2016 for sure. i argued against him, suggesting that he was either rumour-mongering or engaging in wish-fulfillment fantasies.

Personally, have been saying for the last 2 years that there's unlikely to be any all-new FIAT stuff before 2017, if then. Rightly so, too, since the brand's still in awful shape in terms of market-trust and pull, and because in any case tooling and supply-chain development etc takes time.

BUT most of all because there were NO all-new models ready to be brought here in any case. After all the new Punto and grand Sienna will be ready in Brazil only in end-2016! And the 500X+Renegade are too expensively engineered and specc-ed for Indian local making-for-India.

In fact, I am rather dubious about them even bothering with the FIAT brand here in the first place, other than as an export-base.

However, the Tipo/Aegea as a ckd or even a cbu (depending on the discount pricing they can get from FCA Tofas in turkey) would be a good (a) brand activator and builder, and (b) being the top of the 'rational, functional', non-500-lineup, a good establisher of the new design language and as a technology platform (e.g., ddct) IF, as is being surmised, the all-new Punto+Grand Sienna are going to be styled etc like it, part of the same 'family look' and tech.

NOT for sales-numbers, which is what you mistake me as advocating. ONLY as a stopgap brand-activator in 2016 till the all-new models start arriving in 2017....IF they have not decided by then to 'pull the plug' on FIAT brand retail sales in India.

Of course, the Tipo won't sell, but that is true even if it, a direct competitor of the Indian Skoda Octavia(Rapid) in Europe, sells at say 13lakhs, which is the lowest it can possibly be priced fully-localized imopinion or rather guess?

It is NOT an Indian-low-grade c-segment model, it is c-segment in price and a 'tweener' c-segment+ quality by the altogether different and higher standards of Europe. It is exactly like say the Hyundai Elantra or the Toyota Corolla/Auris (only much better, of course, just like the current Linea: 1.6 mjd, ddct, build and ride and drive quality, etc.) It can, at best, be priced as a ckd or cbu like the turkish-made Indian Renault Fluence, the Elantra (15-18 lakhs, also with a 1.6 diesel), let alone the Corolla (1.4 diesel) at 17/18+ lakhs or the Octavia and Jetta at 20+. These cars are its competitors, since these are the very models the current Linea outcompetes at somewhat similar prices in Turkey.

The Tipo/Aegea cannot, then, be a Linea-replacement in India. That job, IF fca still bothers by 2017/18, is as per their '2014 plan' for the Grand Sienna on a different, Brazilian or hybrid cheaper 'platform'+'architecture'.

We'll see what they decide, we'll know soon, by the end of Jan and/or at the AutoExpo.

IMO: they should downsize and rationalize the dealer base, in some cities combine the Fiat and Jeep dealerships, and make India a manufacturing for export base for whichever FIAT european/turkish-spec (NOT Brazilian-spec) models they feel they can export back there or say to Australia/Japan/Korea/UK (rhd) in good, assured numbers. The Tipo cars are obviously not candidates, since Turkey is the base for the those cars. But the euro-spec new Punto? perhaps the rhd 500L/X or Renegade, like the Jeep c-suv? the euro-spec x1h small crossover ready for launch in brazil soon and strongly said by good, knowing auto webzines be offered in a european-spec as a bigger-Panda?

With a rationalized/downsized/selective dealer-body, even just one or at most 2 dealers per big-city: these 2-3 models could be enough for India. Plus Abarth-s. They will not, then, get stuck in the chicken-or-egg vicious cycle of low investment because of high-risk of failure v/s high all-new model investments with GUARANTEED financial failure/losses.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Murphy_Fiat and varoon9999 like this.
  4. hydrofuel

hydrofuel Timido

mumbai
    Well if we look at the size it is almost same as Linea. So it is Linea replacement. So it should be priced similar to Linea with localisation. It is nothing groundbreaking. Just new fresh design thats it. FIRE engine though good and robust decade back are outdated given competition. Tjet is the present, Period.
    So late 2016 or early 2017 Fiat can introduce Aegea as Linea replacement. Can keep Linea as classic for a while as option. If considered as anything more than Linea then it is DOA.
    I feel Fiat needs something below Grand Punto.
    One more thing that headlight and wiper stalks should also be properly on right and left side respectively. Why should people adjust. In fact it should be mandatory before type approval. If it can be done with Palio why can't be done now.
    Raj_pol and prabhjot like this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @hydrofuel

The Aegea/Tipo is notably longer, wider, lighter and roomier as well as with a bigger boot than the Linea, which in any case is a c-d tweener model in Turkey and Brazil etc NOT a c2 segment car at all, as they stupidly positioned it in India. That is why it has class-leading chassis, suspension, steering and braking engineering, as well as build, etc.

Where will they export it to? Nowhere possible, since the turkish plant, a new cutting-edge one, is the economies of scale manufacturing and export base for the Tipo/Aegea models.

CKD or even CBU as a brand-activator and builder in 2016, AT BEST, while the dealers and the few potential FIAT buyers await the 2017/2018 new Punto+Grand Sienna+Avventura that their plan from 2 years ago stated very clearly.

As yet they've stuck to it pretty closely (they were delayed with the Abarth launch by a many months.)

It is a function of under-the-skin platform+architecture differences, for cost cutting reasons, as well. In which case, the Grand Sienna from Brazil+Argentina will appear stylistically close-enough to the Aegea/Tipo, or so all brazilian autoblogs are claiming and expecting, only be much/even more cost/price competitive than them. The Indian Linea+Puntoare NOT, as it is, the same at all under the skin as the Turkish+Italian ones, btw!

We'll see. The FIAT catchment area is very very drought-ridden am afraid, they can build a dowmstream dam, but there's only a meagre trickle in the river, so :confused::depressed::watching:.
    bharath, jumu and Amit Rox like this.
  6. Kaushik Talauliker

Kaushik Talauliker Novizio

Margao Goa
    Margao - Goa
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Any news on Linea Abarth launch. i am just waiting for my MJD to be replaced with new Linea T-jet. But i dont want to miss Linea ABARTH WHICH WILL BE A REAL BOMB SHELL.
    Please help me on this issue if any one has idea on the launch. As i have seen picture today uploaded by business-standard.com
  7. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    No There is no Confirmation about Linea Abarth. infact there will be no abarth linea but some says that refreshed linea will come with 140 bhp. not sure
  8. Kaushik Talauliker

Kaushik Talauliker Novizio

Margao Goa
    Margao - Goa
    Punto Evo 1.3
    is it worth waiting for Linea 140 tjet or can i go with the current 114 tjet?
  9. hydrofuel

hydrofuel Timido

mumbai
    It is worth waiting for even 125-130 Linea till early 2017 i feel, if you already have MJD.
  10. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    As a Tjet Owner i Can surely say that you can go For the Tjet with 114 Bhp. Main reason will be the mileage difference from 114 & 140 bhp. and if you want more power you can Remap.
    Amit Rox and prabhjot like this.