1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Future Plans

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Dec 6, 2012.

1. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    @nibedk the 135hp will be called an abarth (speculated as Fiat- punto Abarth or abarth punto) 105 HP is just not enough... besides there are rumors of discontiouing Linea T-jet and introducing Viaggio T-JET/Multi-air turbo .. i think only if a 135hp comes things will add up.

and for petrol heads all variables of driving pleasures are valid.... but there are a bunch of mango heads who get a car for it's number
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I disagree @adisrini1103 a hatchback at 105bhp as capable as the T-jet is quite a combination for attraction. You must realise that at 135bhp the cost of host of other things in the car will change. And it is I guess being tuned/targetted for the masses keeping FE too in focus.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Lolz..Big disappointment from my perspective. One, they are releasing it next year by which time there will be more powerful hatchbacks from more popular competitors. Also, testing till next year - they will never learn about the concept of speed of launch.
    No 500X, no 500L - nothing for India. Jeep has been getting launched since an eternity.

I hope they keep multiple options like a 135hp for the bling and brag factor.
  4. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @adisrini1103 I guess you didnt get the point I was trying to put across. My gut feels is we will have a 105 HP Evo which will sit as top petrol variant similar to Evo 90 HP. For Avvy it will be the Emotion Variant.

Then we will have 114 HP Linea TJET which will continue and give the power and torque advantage to the bigger sedan.

Then we will have the 135 HP Punto/Avvy Abarth and then the 160 HP 500 Abarth.

This makes sense as well and Fiat will have presence in each of the above mentioned class without any over lap. They can have a Linea Abarth as well but I guess with Linea not selling much they will gibe it a miss. With rumors of Linea replacement trickling I guess Fiat isnt thinking about Linea Abarth.

If FCA is thinking or is listening they should ideally launch Panda as Ritz, Beat competitor and Uno as Alto/Nano/Eon competitor.

They should have a Viaggio or something similar for Elantra/Octavia/Jetta competitor and one SUV in 12-15 lacs range. This should be envious line up and if they can sell around 2-2.5 K and with further localisation of 1.6 MJD they can have a profitable run for next 5-7 years. But it seems FCA doesnt have such plans for India.
    dadasaheb likes this.
  5. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, i do get your point @nibedk
    And @asimpleson the masses is not going to care for fiat unless it gets FE numbers of 20+, which the tjet is never going to achieve...

So why not make it a true Indian level successful performance brand , instead of a failed mass car brand
    At least we have the 135hp to brag about...
    Come on guys .. Do you seriously think the mango heads would understand driving dynamics and stuff....if yes fiat should've been a hot seller by now
    Raj_pol likes this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @adisrini1103

I am guessing, and of course hoping, rather, that the 135 hp Abarth Punto will come later this year, as reported by Autocar, since it will be a minor variant of the European Abarth Punto engine-wise. The Abarth 500 will come sooner, possibly this month or the next?

Then the t-jet Evo+Avventura with a special-for-India tune and turbo-plumbing and suspension/braking etc architecture will follow, which is why all this long, hyper-testing is underway.

I guess they are redoing the Linea t-jet in a big way: this shows they're localizing the engine very strongly, and have to meet strict cost and fuel efficiency targets, well over and above what they offer on the Linea (which I own, and love). The Linea t-jet has many many imported components, and seems more or less what they're offering say in Turkey. The Evo one will have to meet a whole different order of cost and other criteria. They are going to kick the butts of the Polo GT Tsi pricing-wise, that's for sure (by upto 2 lakhs?), largely because the engine's imported, and in any case VW's are way over-priced in india.

Agree completely on this with @nibedk and @asimpleson

As for why they're taking so long: we forget that petrol prices have only fallen hugely over the last 8-10 months, likewise for the diesel price de-regulation/subsidy-elimination.

Now: buzz or no buzz the deeper, structural issue with the brand's sales were never going to be solved just by the t-jet. Let's see: they're cooking plenty, from Jeep to this and hopefully other (e.g., CKD Ottmo Cross/Viaggio/500X?) stuff. We might have a real good sense of everything at the AutoExpo in feb 2016?

They CAN take their time: this market's particularly difficult at the moment, capitulating to the East Asian 3-4 dominant, quasi-oligopoly firms.

And their profits, which in the end is all they care about, come totally via engine and component-exports, and via Tata and Suzuki. What cannot wait is a 'rationalization' (?) of the dealer network and a move more to an e-commerce-centred retail approach, imo, while retaining and expanding the number the improved/improving FASS workshops.

btw, @puntophile thanks!, and if you could share some more of your chat with the Fiat engineers?
    asimpleson likes this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I just hope there is an automatic transmission variant of punto tjet.
    They are being considered by many a people who are serious about automatics with increasing traffic issues.
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @asimpleson

Yeah, that's essential now, but perhaps the simple, humble amt and not the ddct amt. DDCT-s are perhaps too exotic, and impossibly difficult/expensive to maintain if anything goes wrong, even mere clutches, what with the justified disrepute the VW/Skoda dsg has, and with our road, traffic, temperature and 'average driver skill level' such as it is. Does the fact that the Fiat/M Marelli ddct has 'dry' clutches make it less or more adapted to average Indian driving conditions? Maybe they're not worth the effort and risk, and instead the amt can be offered, at a very cutprice of course, afterall if one is driving fast and accelerating one would presumably be in 'manual' mode in any case, no?
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/05/news/majority-want-to-buy-car-online-accenture-survey/

This survey about digital retail modes by accenture suggests that not only in developed and IT-savvy markets (eg, China, Korea?) but also in India the vast majority of potential carbuyers would be seriously open to e-commerce approaches to car retail, including and upto handling everything and anything totally on-line including having the car delivered at home, without any visit to a showroom or any face-to-face encounter with dealer staff/managers/negotiators etc.

Now, surveys have problems as a methodology, especially when they are done by private, non-academic entities with shallow statistical sampling knowledge, interpretive abilities and of course conflicts-of-interest etc.

STILL: this really does appear to be a sales and reatail frontier in India that Fiat/FCA here CAN and MUST explore and push towards. For once: set the sales-process pace.

Digital/e-commerce solutions are IDEAL for firms like Fiat in India, since they are low-cost, rely less on human resources (which are pretty uniformly poor in the car retail and service sector in India and elsewhere, especially for small operations like Fiat in India), and especially liberate small firms from the tyranny of "location, location, location" i.e., exorbitant real estate, indeed in India some of the most expensive retail-store rents in the whole world.

India is clearly at an IT/e-commerce/internauting tipping-point demographically and price wise. We are seeing this across the country, even in supposedly 'backward' areas, and across product, service and informational domains.

FCA in India has the chance through 'e-commerce/digital strategies' to emancipate itself, only partly of course, from the many burdens of being a small, yet old and struggling, yet with-some-cachet, retail player in the world's toughest car market: India's.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 8, 2015 ---
    ASIDE:

There were sourced-from-insider reports on that other car forum if one remembers right, perhaps just rumours, many months ago of Fiat India working on a 1.2 version of the t-jet (by altering the stroke? the bore? etc?) in order to duck under the 1.2 l excise duty norm for petrols.

Perhaps @puntophile 's report on the power/torque ratings of Evo t-jet being tested gives that substance?

In any case, but especially if they can duck under the excise duty norm: this car is going to be seriously awesome value-of-the-best-sort-for-money! Not that that is not the case already, and not that it will turbocharge sales numbers, but still.:cool:
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
    Saket Sidana and avi_loveindia like this.
  10. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Wow! If 1.2L TJet comes, it would be great for enthusiasts and fiat fans like us. For general public response, I still have my doubts. People just don't even visit a Fiat showroom. Do something to visit them and enthuse them for test drive. Once that happens, we would discuss waiting period for Fiat cars. ;) Hmmm... very high hopes I know.
    Raj_pol and prabhjot like this.