1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Future Plans

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Dec 6, 2012.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Raj_pol, sandipan_r15 and VahanPujari like this.
  2. Paliofan

Paliofan Timido

Mumbai
    prabhjot and asimpleson like this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Rachit Hirani? thanks for the article. Do give us an early insight about the immediate products in pipeline if and when and as soon as possible.
  4. Paliofan

Paliofan Timido

Mumbai
    I shall immediately share it. Some news coming on Abarth, I will get the confirmation on it by Monday/Tuesday. My source is away at the moment.
    prabhjot and asimpleson like this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    So if this source is reliable: they're sticking to the announced 5-year plan for the Fiat brand in India (last year). New Punto + New Linea-replacement aka Grand Sienna + B-SUV all on a new, lightened Palio platform? Sounds plausible ONLY if the bit about exports is true, else FCA are barking up the wrong tree and will struggle to make any money on these.

@Paliofan

Any word, such as it is, even if it is just gossip, on the possibility of the Jeep Renegade and the 500X for India, below the confirmed Jeep c-suv to be locally made in Ranjangaon? Or will it be the b-suv in Jeep form and/or a Fiat-version (that your article mentions)?

thanks
  6. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Paliofan : how authentic is Punto Evo TJET coming in September 2015 ? Can you please ask that as well. PLEASE :)
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

:yuck:Coincidentally, I watched the movie Andaz Apna Apna the other day. And your post reminded me of Bhalla's new "plans", much to Teja's chagrin.
  8. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Wow, R&D is a quantum jump. From 40-50 to 650. Fiat is doing things for sure.

@Paliofan. Small suggestion. Your bio on the page says 'has cars in his blood'. "Has passion for cars in his blood' might be more biologically possible :D
  9. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    The recent discussions surely rekindled some degree of hope.
    Hopefully all these plans materialize and better days for FIAT can be a reality. India being a hub for small car exports is a tried and tested formula (FORD). Let's see how things shape out.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    They are doing precisely what they said they would in the Enrico etc brand re-launch plan. They've done everything they said they would, more or less on time, and less (or more) on 'quality': new dealers, new Linea, new Punto, 'all-new' Avventura. Except for the 1.6 mjd Linea promise, which they can be forgiven for since am dead sure potential sales figures don't begin to justify making that engine, neither do the excise duty rules, nor do the sorts of prices the 'market', such as it is, is willing to pay for Fiats. And neither Tata nor Maruti have any use for that engine, as yet, either.

They said a b-suv in 2016 back then, and we haven't seen any evidence as yet that won't happen. They said all-new 'Linea' in 2017, and all-new 'Punto' too.

The only things we can really accuse them of are (a) sales figure missing numbers, and (b) a lingering operational incompetence in product specc-ing, launching, marketing etc, albeit much better than the truly dismal Kapoor-as-FiatIndia-MD days.

The only question to me is whether this slow, obviously cautious, too-sequenced 'plan' is workable with any decent prospect of success.

To me: I don't think so at all, and not because it is 'slow' or too 'cautious' etc, but because I think chances of making any profits in the hardcore mass market (B1, C1 segments) here for Fiat or a number of others are next to....zero.

So, as @PradeepM rightly points out the 'b-suv' plan, IF centred more on exports and less on India sales as this report claims, whether as just a Fiat or as a Jeep or as twins (like the 500X+Renegade, at a much lower price).....is just the (ONLY) way to go, as Ford and Renault-Nissan have shown.

Fiat's whole problem in India IMO has been the absence of an exportable-from-India-in-large-numbers cars, new or old, which is why we got the India-special Avventura as 'all-new' launch post-new-dealeships rather than say the Panda or the 500L or the Nuvo Uno or Doblo.

And so what they'll be doing with the localized Jeep c-suv, and with this 'b-suv' (Fiat/Jeep/Both?) i.e., India-as-export-base-first-and-sales-market-second is just RIGHT.

This 'motoroctane' report from Rachit @Paliofan , if 'true', only corroborates what the Business Standard reported based on several sources inside both FCA and Tata Motors a couple of months ago, and what Autocar was told by quoted sources in FCA Apac, including the stuff about the 1.5 mjd.

PS:

Let's see what great new stuff you've really got, FCA: Jeeps and a new export-first Fiat 'suv'? Great, but could you very kindly take a punt on the 500X too, please please!

thanking you, beseechingly,

yours sincerely,

Every other current-Linea-Punto-owner-looking-for-upgrade.:p
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    asimpleson, acechip and Deepak like this.