1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Future Plans

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Dec 6, 2012.

1. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

BANGALORE
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I too feel, in reality it is not correct. However, the brands have created such buzz in industry that it is transferred to buyers. Credit must be given to them for their efforts.
  2. kgramesh

kgramesh Amatore

Palakkad, KL
    Linea T-Jet
    100% spot on. Though MS is not high on maintenance, by no means it is cheap. And I would just throw a kick on Hyundai for their notorious maintenance bills.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @SOOZ_P a few additions, mentionable attributes if you will.
    Toyota- reliable, bit minimalistic yet well engineered, trusted brand and products and trust very well established in India too.
    MS- cheap to maintain and good support, best unorganised sector and/or aftermaket support, failed with Sedans esp. with customers ending up selling the likes of Baleno for peanuts. High on trust.
    Honda- quality and stylish, highly regarded petrol engines and some amount of brag value. High on trust and reliability.
    Hyundai- Stylish and growing everyday with new products and feature, value products at right price, with good product strategy and spot-on timing. More for less quotient, even more in perception. Again pretty trust worthy in perception.

FIAT- Most lethargic and best at ruining brand value. Ahead of the curve at the time with right products but also unfortunate due to totally unforeseen strikes in beginning and local issues and partnering with weak players in the beginning. Horrible after-sales issues esp. in the past. Have suffered in many major markets not just India. Trust-worthiness still questioned more by non-fiatians than Fiat owners. Desperately need a "Made for India" product strategy.

While at this TFIans please add your thoughts on the following and other brands in India too.
    Skoda -
    VW -
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    PradeepM, SOOZ_P and sandipan_r15 like this.
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @asimpleson , @acechip and @SOOZ_P Also FIAT is not exactly known for reliability - in no country of the world and I am ignoring the acquisition of Jeep and all as it is a very recent phenomena. If you leave out the acquired brands their reliability is low every where in the planet. I mean TATA owns Jaguar does not mean that anyone remotely in the world puts them at the same level.Now can we be as mature folks be honest in admitting that they do have a reliability problem.
    I mean Indians might not know about cars but if the whole world does not then who does? :)
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Raj_pol,
    I would term the reliability perception of Fiat majorly with mis-understood complexities from the design and engineering POV. You take the bacronyms like Fix It Again Tony and things start looking even worst. The newer generation of Fiats since UNO or Palio, had european elements in the electrical components and some amount of complexity even on the mechanical side. I would say these cars were very easy to botch-up by untrained hands. Compare for example with Maruti (Suzuki) there have been examples inspite of adequte spares and support where end-users and mechanics have managed to make these cars unreliable, however getting them back to reliability never cost a bomb in majority cases. If they could borrow or redesign various pump and coolant systems to work in hot and humid and rather extreme conditions, the niggles and failures due to these things could have been well avoided. They could and certainly should take a hint from the Japanese to make these things reliable and easy to fix. It could be said that there are many manufacturers who can adopt the KISS principle when it comes to design and manufacturing, esp. the European ones unless they are doing it for Planned obsolescence. But in the case of Fiat, the extra performance that its engineers try to incorporate in their products still calls for some amount of complexity in the product design and eng. which is hard to avoid.

If Subaru has come up with a simpler cooling solution for its TURBO charger implementation, why not other players? In Turbos Fiat on the other hand has some production technology already (via Magnet Marelli) that could make Turbo lag a history and have a great potential in production cars.
    PradeepM and prabhjot like this.
  6. acechip

acechip Superiore

I can safely say, that for the price you pay to buy & own a Tata product (in any category), their cars will prove cost effective ,part-for-part than any Jaguar or Land Rover products (particularly Land Rover). Those are just million-dollar shiny toys. Good looking, great performing, but with the tantrums of a movie diva.
    prabhjot, nbvcrao and asimpleson like this.
  7. gazgotta

gazgotta Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Namma Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Compact crossovers and SUVs will be flavors of the upcoming future. All major players are betting high on this segment HY ix25, MS YBA,im-4, M&M , Renualt , Ford Eco. and FIAT in spite being known for handling n driving pleasure is mum on this segment instead of caching on with Jeep brand. With Punto n Linea FIAT is heading no where. Pathetic , don understand wat is up with FIAT India plans.:cigar:

How long FIAT plans to sell only 2 models Punto n Linea in Inda ? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

New customers are scared of the future of FIAT in India. FIAT better fix this soon n gain confidence of buyers slowly. Expand Product line up and reach to common ppl with aggressive branding and commitment.:doctor:
  8. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    Avventura sales will be affected as i20 Active launched with more features and gizmos + 50K more in ex showroom price of top end diesel.
    What next Fiat ??
    you removed projectors and 6 speed gearbox from the concept shown in auto expo.
    these are in i20 Active along with parking sensors and camera as standard.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

You are merely repeating, as you keep doing too often, widespread, herd-based brand-image 'common sense', not notable for being informed or accurate.

There is an old, historically evolved perception, now very widespread, about brands. Toyota or Honda=Quality/reliability/durability and VW/German cars/Fiat/European cars= unreliable, high-pain ownership.

These perceptions have to any one who is attentive to automotive news and facts been proven to be downright false at worst, although still having some purchase-on-the-margin (e.g., Toyota=supremely reliable). The extent to which Toyota, Suzuki and Honda have been caught with their quality pants down, both in India and in developed-car-markets like the US, over the last 2-3 years has given the lie to these true-many-a-year-ago perceptions that are encrusted enough to keep getting repeated, like you are doing, years after their validity has lapsed.

The statistical truth is, I think, that all cars from all global firms have more or less equal scores, all things considered (from suspension noise, to paint quality to engine and transmission reliability) THESE DAYS.

The quality/reliability gap between the Japanese and now Korean on the one hand and the others has long since closed, and so: the warped price-extortion for under-engineered, low-tech cars (chassis, suspensions, brakes, steering) diluted specially for markets like India being achieved by the Jap and Korean dominant firms in the name of very dated and very lapsed former-truths about reliability and ASS quality/cost.....is now unacceptable.

From personal experiences with the ownership and and/or use and/or maintainence of many cars from brands (among friends and family) ranging from Honda and Hyundai to Tata to Ford, Fiat and Mercedes, I can definitely bet everything on the utter falsehood of the peceptions that determine the purchase decisions of 90% of the car buying public: that say Honda-s are any more reliable/better built than say Fiats or Tata-s or Fords, that their cars have any qualities whatsoever that might justify the exorbitant premium in pricing (including of warranties, spares and ASS labour) and in sales figures they are able to command A PRIORI.

Firms like Fiat are just haunted by their past failures in these terms (not quality or reliability, because these have been good/par all along right from the Uno days, but ass support), because in our market 90%+ buyers do not do research, do not even understand cars enough to consider the value/price equation rationally and freely. J D Power finds that only 30 odd % people consider a single other car or brand than the one they actually buy, and that this figure was until recently as low as 12-15%.

They prefer A PRIORI (i.e., without research and knowledge) decisions that are biased strongly in favour of the Japanese+Korean in general, since the 'herd' of common-sense has arrived at such emphatic 'wisdom' about buying or not a Hyundai or Honda, over say a Fiat or a Tata. It matters not a jot that Fiats, Fords and Tata-s are just plain better cars, with much better engineering, usually better design and even materials, and certainly very par reliability/quality/durability with much better 'values' for money.

This is no partisan point in defence of 'Fiat', which may well prove soon enough to be a lost-cause of a brand. This is just the empirical fact about consumer/brand and indeed other 'culture': whatever other value it may have, free thinking, rationality, good sense and wisdom is not among them. ;-)
    PradeepM and nbvcrao like this.
  10. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot don't say everything is due to the herd mentality....
    MS and HY does right according to demand
    Thats how industry should work

besides an industry's main objective is to satisfy the customer, to whom does fiat make cars for??
    if there was a craze for projectors and DRL's fiat should've brought it, atleast by now.
    i dont think adding a new headlamp cluster is going to need thousands of hours of testing.

i dont think people are going to consider avventura after this. I doubt myself, it's cheaper by 15k, has nice gizmos within that price.
    and though it doesnot have top notch handling but what it has is enough for a common man.

so please stop supporting fiat india blindly.

The steps they are taking in America and Brazil are wonderful.
    when there is a demand for real compact SUV, they brought the 500X with the right specs and what do we have ??
    a punto with black plastic.. even my indica has black plastics and its not so expensive.

everyone wanted
    Bluetooth streaming its just a software update did they give - NO
    projectors and DRL - NO
    Bigger boot space in they avvy(coz of wheel removed) - NO
    GPS and Touch screen - NO
    Powerful T-jet engine - NO

So why should people apart from fiat fans like us would like to buy a fiat??
    I am sure VW,HY,MS and TATA tick atleast one of the above.

did you see when TATA gave what the market wanted DRL and Projectors, the people accepted it.

So is this the problem with Herd mentality alone or just Fiat?
    PradeepM and vista7155 like this.