1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Future Plans

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Dec 6, 2012.

1. multijetter

multijetter Regolare

Just For information...

Is Fiat using galvanize steel for body?
    Because I found some rust spots on my 2011 Linea

Also want to know how many car manufacturers are using Galvanize Steel Body in India?
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    @multijetter the rusting problem is more pronounced in Mumbai than other cities with lesser humid climates.
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Not just humidity, salty weather of coastal places is the major reason for rust. I know because I am from a coastal town. Everything starts rusting in 3-4 years. I moved to Bangalore when joined a job. After that my dad and I bought bikes around same time. Within few years my dad's bike had rust whereas my bike was spotless for a decade. That is the extent of coastal weather impact on the metal.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    @RaviHegde yes you are very right, except the comparative Hondas and Marutis or Hyundais have this problem only after many more years in Mumbai. Just an observation. That being said, I believe the only option is to repair/reweld with fresh pieces and repaint rusted portions and use zinc etch priming solutions for more weather proofing of bare metal surface.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Rusting basically happens if the steel is not correctly treated with anti rust coatings. Since the primer application and further paint application is an automated process in most car manufacturing set ups, there will be a scope for some portions of the chassis/frame being not fully treated with correct amount of treatment solutions. This in combination with washing and exposing to humid/salty environment accelerates the rusting process. This is very much evident in Mumbai weather or coastal regions as said by TFIians.

I would also see this as a lack of world class QA/QC process which Fiat India should have had. In Europe, there have been cases where car manufacturers have been sued due to early rustings.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    One reason why every little nick and scrape must be attended to, in the right way, else in coastal areas some rust can result.

Fiat's metal/body work and paint quality is excellent. From my experience, a good deal better than Maruti Suzuki, Honda, and Renault-Nissan in India though I cannot comment on Toyota, VW and Hyundai. Incidentally, mefeels Tata Motors is top-notch too. Still, the paint quality and layering on my 2014 Linea t-jet is a whole level of quality superior to what my Dad received on his Linea back when he bought it in 2009.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015
    acechip and PradeepM like this.
  7. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    Recently attended a management session in office. In one of the scenarios the discussion was on brand value and the mentor choose the auto industry in India. When he asked about what different auto brands carry meaning in India, here was the response from various people
    Toyota- reliable
    MS- chip to maintain and good support
    Honda- quality and stylish
    Huyndai- Stylish and growing everyday with new products and features
    And then after few names
    FIAT- Most lethargic and best at ruining brand value
    It really heart breaking to here that but fact.
    The reason given was, the trust was huge for fiat may be earlier stages and as the expectation increased from customers, fiat didn't respond accordingly. So the trust and emotional attachment broken. Now how much you try, its extremely difficult to build trust. That may be possible with constant effort and build relationship or connect with people again.
    Hope fiat india thinks in this direction.
    PradeepM and Raj_pol like this.
  8. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @SOOZ_P, we are the ones who would bring back the trust in Fiat brand. ;)
    SOOZ_P likes this.
  9. acechip

acechip Superiore

@prabhjot , I agree that Tata Motor's sheet metal and paint quality is almost as good as Fiats. And feels tougher than others . A friend of mine banged his Tata Indigo (old model) onto a street lighting pole at a high speed (He had to avoid another obstacle suddenly). The pole was knocked down to the ground, but his Indigo only suffered a bruised bonnet & front bumper.

@SOOZ_P - I am not surprised to hear the comments about Fiat. This is exactly what most people on this forum feel too!

But I disagree with some of the comments about other brands. MS is not cheap to maintain, especially Swift upwards. Honda is not stylish, and post 2014, doesnt even have the earlier quality.
    prabhjot and SOOZ_P like this.
  10. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    @acechip that is the perception that the particular brand has. MS has created the perception that it is cheap to maintain. In the world of business, what matters is the perception and MS and Hyundai do a terrific job at that.
    kgramesh and SOOZ_P like this.