1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Future Plans

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Dec 6, 2012.

1. acechip

acechip Superiore

prabhjot and asimpleson like this.
  2. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

indeed funny stuff. sergione must not be even aware that fiat exists in india too. he is just to obsessed with american market.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

Fiat india already has a 500L diesel for 'testing'. Now they seem to've imported a 500L Living 7 seater. These cars are built on the Small US-wide platform, a wider and longer version of the Punto's. So are the jeep renegade, the 500x and purpotedly even the upcoming jeep c-suv apparently slated for localized manufacture for, mainly, exports from India. This last will supposedly have the 2 litre mjd, but the others all have, in Europe, either the 1.3 mjd2 or the 1.6 mjd2.

Now, the Indian Punto is NOT on that platform but on the old Palio one, for cost reasons.

It would be great indeed if, whether for India or for exports, they are going to adapt the same Palio platform (perhaps as rumours suggest lightened by upto 100kgs) for these cars too, for cost/pricing reasons. IF that is possible: the cost savings would be considerable.

Throw in torsion-beam rather than independent suspensions.....and perhaps these otherwise 'premium'-priced models may well be able to better meet desi market price targets? Without really compromising build, ride-handling etc.

The other remarkable possibility is the introduction of the 1.3 mjd2 rather than the 1.6 mjd. Don't know about costing BUT 200+Nm at a mere 1500 rpm....would seem to solve all possible power/turbolag grouses. The engine could also be deployed across all models and maybe even offered to Maruti and/or Tata, thereby bringing costs of localized manufacture down via scale economies.

These are just wild albeit informed speculations on my part. BUT some such approach would seem essential in order to get the costing and pricing right for 1,2 or even 3 models off this platform (Jeep and Fiat, both) with lots of common parts and modules, enabling Fiat to attack the C segment from borderline D-segment, just like the Duster/Terrano(both very overpriced!)/XUV500 do.

It seems to me that beyond the t-jet models and Abarth, these models can help Fiat breakout of the stranglehold of the East Asian oligopoly (the 'Gang of 4'). They have strong USP-s, are visibly 'premium'/charismatic/distinctive in design and materials and finish alongwith the usual topnotch suspension etc engineering.

Unless they can either use India as a source of exports (as planned for the Jeep c-suv) OR get their costing right by redoing these cars to be based now off a lightened Palio platform, and with less sophisticated suspension architecture, also with the 1.3 mjd2...these models would seem impossible to translate into the price and value culture of the Indian market.

And yet these are their newest, most charismatic, and succeessful models: what other instruments do they have beyond the t-jet and Abarth? After all, the Linea replacement will be the all-new Grand Sienna which will come at the earliest in 2017, as will the all-new Punto. Neither car would seem to offer Fiat the leverage the brand needs for its problems in the non-enthusiast wider marketplace, since they'd be getting into the hard-core segments where the Jap and Korean Gang of 3/4 just 'rule' as a 'rule'.

It'll be time, SOON enough, to hear officially from Kevin Flynn, the new FCA India MD, about such matters. Either way.

4. acechip

acechip Superiore

The first enemy of progress in India for Fiat is the name itself F-I-A-T. It conjures up so many negative connotations for Indians that they naturally exclude it from their lists. How to overcome that challenge now ?
    platinumshine likes this.
  5. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Linea 1.3
    First thing., is the 500L Living fit for Indian market as a 7seater, I is a little too tight for Indians @ the back seat, I feel it is lesser than mobilio's (only by looking no offence)

Besides bringing the 1.3 MJD2 is good and will meet the bs6 or something if Indian government implements it in the near future, cutting road tax like Europe

What about a small car for the masses, bring back the palio with maybe with a tiny t-jet engine and brag about power so that we get a chunk of sales from celerio,i10

Or apart from small cars bring the 500x may be a 1.6 is enough for India, so it can be used in the linea too

More than all of this the current t-jet should be manufactured here itself instead of a ckd, the linea t-jet is freakin costly for no Reason..

if mr.flynn brings 500L living and modify it to suit Indian body sizes to Sit comfortably then we might have a winner here..but you have to sit like in a go+ with the current design...

Hope he thinks in the right track
  6. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

and I thought it is a real VFM car, the Jet, for what it offers! If I am not wrong, the Tjet when it was launched, had its engine imported and perhaps the brake pads. Now it is baked at Ranjangaon, right? So it is not definitely a CKD.

Also there are good offers from Fiat for buyers.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    Fiat would loose out on car sales if they offer the same engines to Suzuki and Tata. Each car manufacturer needs to have something tangible to brag about.
    Like a broken record - ride quality and handling are intangible. They can however try with the 500X or a similar looking vehicle if it is priced at XUV level or slightly higher pricing. Another gap is a competitor to the Fortuner which I see quite often in Bangalore at least. Again the pricing.

Imported Grand Cherokee is bullshit if they price it at the German trio level because no one will then touch it with a pole. Price it at 2/3rd or lower and then maybe we are talking.
    Fiat must keep it's ego in check because they are no where close to the Germans in brand value.

And can you get the 500X please? See this is the attitude that Indian's hate. The whole world gets the cool 500X and you want to dump the 500L like we are a 3rd world country. Well the population will dump it right back at you.
  8. bibin

bibin Regolare

drknaresh likes this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot, I am not sure the Grand Siena will be a step-up after Linea. Maybe the Linea could get another (better) facelift and couple that with a MJD2 and DDCT tranny for best of both worlds, automatic and manual. It will be sold to other manufacturers and can be incorporated in likes of Punto too, due to size advantages. But better if we recieve it first.

Although Grand Siena is better than many others in a segment below, perhaps the best if introduced as a more economical model.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    No Raj. Both gear box feels the same. Only because of Avvy's cuv seating position, it need a little more stretch of your arm than evo to shift gears. But Evo has less cabin noise than Avvy. Evo diesel 76 hp feels so smooth just like top petrol hatches available in the country.
    Raj_pol likes this.