1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Future Plans

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Dec 6, 2012.

1. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    One new idea to implement in India -
    as all now that MSIL is using 1.3 MJD from Fiat, and fiat always get criticized for their Gear box in all (two) cars from any reviewer and many owners also.
    Why not Fiat is taking the Swift/Ciaz gearbox from MSIL for Evo and Linea ??
    if anyway the FCA management at global level promoting sharing and leasing of technology with other car companies.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I am afraid that won't help, because the tall gearing? has a specific purpose of FE and performance (pull) at higher speeds which is stock tune ala Europeon roads and highway conditions. Best to bring out an automatic 6-7 speed and also a good manual gearbox of their own that can exceed Suzuki transmission.

It was not a bad idea if they could have adopted it a few years back. Going forwards best to bring good technologies which Fiat already has in its stable. Which might still take some time. The restructuring is at a global level, so us consumers might only get to see occasional good products for the immediate future.

Tjet, MJD2, Twin Air, Multiair, AMT and more.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    prabhjot and dadasaheb like this.
  3. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    @asimpleson MSIL and TATA got the AMT but its not offered on the Evo or Linea.
    it is proved fact that Fiat Vendors like Maruti and Tata will get any new technology first and then if FCA management thinks of it offering in their own products, they will take another 2 years to test and launch it.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @dadasaheb, on a similar note Fiat could be only a core technology developer, but R&D too needs lots of money, the legalities to claim technology, manufacturing and what not. I had pointed out before about how Fiat sold their baby (the CRDI) to Bosch for money, a very catastrophic move ever. It will be a pity to see Fiat in such a dire state again.

As far as MSIL and TATA are concerned they have less to loose, so Fiat is dependant on them for improving bottomlines and sustaining in this tricky market. The new product lineup on a global scale will take time, and again us Indians have not been so very receptive of American products. Ford is where(ever) it is due to their consistent persistent efforts and huge loss taking ability.

Fiat is another "Giant" in happening eyeing the long term game. Whether they succeed or not we shall see. Meanwhile we will hurt ourselves expecting much from Fiat in the near future. Jeep success will depend a lot on how its promoted and priced. But its the original Fiat products that I too would like to see flourish more.

Inspite of all these moves in India, I personally cannot imagine a better leader than Mr. Sergio for Fiat/FCA today.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 18, 2015, Original Post Date: Feb 18, 2015 ---
    Here is what Mr.Sergio Marchionne says in his latest discourse from a broader industry perspective.

//The problem, as Marchionne sees it, is that while manufacturers are able to cooperate on small cost-sharing ventures, they aren’t willing to do so on large ones. Marchionne referenced Fiat’s own joint venture with Mazda to develop a new roadster. “Have we saved money? Yes. Had we done it with a mass-market vehicle, the answer is no. “

Competition and brand-building means that every manufacturer wants to make its own core components, like, say, four cylinder engines, leading to ruinous overlap in Marchionne’s estimation. “You are talking about hundreds of millions of duplicative and redundant investments that do not bear any benefit for the consumer.” He sees no reason why similar engines can’t be made with 85 percent common parts, with 15 percent reserved for individualization.//

Read full article here. The thread title needs change to FCA future plans - India and abroad. Any better suggestion @prabhjot?
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    prabhjot and dadasaheb like this.
  5. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks Mambams1826 for the article.Thats some news about Indian made Elite i20 being banned in Australia. And now where are those people who keep comparing Hyundai with FIAT and blame FIAT. Whether you need a safe structural rigid FIAT car or a Hyundai with its structural components removed and have some chinese fancy items installed in them in the name of features...
    amitshedha and prabhjot like this.
  6. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    its interesting guys.

do we Indians are the least concerned on the safety aspect of the cars we use on a global perspective?

Because punto sold in Australia is almost similar to indian punto expect for 7 air bags. (http://www.fiat.com.au/punto)

Hyundai i20 is breaking records in the Indian market (about 40k sold after launch) and believe me the i20 tin can is considered as a symbol of Luxury for the middle class in India and the same is considered unsafe for Australia?
  7. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Two insights on this
    Hyundai is very successful in making people believe that they are buying a world class vehicle.
    Others especially our own Fiat fail to highlight their strength as well as weakness of competition.
    dadasaheb likes this.
  8. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    all these auto companies and our own Govt. think that the human life in India is very cheap.
    just see the amount of compensation given to the dead people and their families by our Govt. in various mishaps.
    Mabams1826 likes this.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    We in India tend to, as a 'cultural' general rule: (a) follow the herd(s) (b) engage in hero- and idol-worship, i.e., tend not to think rationally, critically and analytically enough.

We know this very well, yet we see these 'cultural' failures in others, hardly ever in ourselves.

Have all the film-makers who've tried sincerely to persuade and attract us away from the masala, suparrrstar pot-boiling fillum succeeded at all? They've been trying since 1947, they still are, but....a Salman or Shah Rukh Khan or Rajni still corners 30-40% of film budgets (at least), marketing and distribution corners another 30-50%: only 25-30+/-% of a fillum's costs are for the artists, technicians, script-writer, director, etc.:inpain:

We are like this only.:dead:

That's why I am so pessimistic about the possibility of 'explaining' or 'persuading' a car public about Fiat's qualities and of the deficiencies in the best-selling brands....MOST people just don't CARE, just like they don't about the story/politics/artistry/ethics/intelligence of a fillum AS LONG AS they get all the other 'masala' stuff.:blackeye: Not that Fiats don't have more than enough masala/tadka...but only the established superstars get to enjoy the malai-makhan (public's loyalty/affection).
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 19, 2015, Original Post Date: Feb 18, 2015 ---
    EXCEPT that, recently, some small-budget, intelligent, superstar-less, yet fun and unpretentious 'indie' films are being made successfully targetting niche regional and national and diasporic/international audiences (e.g., Udaan, Dev D, Gangs of Wasseypur, Lunchbox, the first Munnabhai Mbbs, etc, in Hindi. There are obviously similar probably better examples in Bengali, Marathi and Malyali films too that i have heard of).

IF the analogy holds, then: Fiat has to rework the product-specs AND the branding/advertising/PR of the same current cars, IMO offering a niche 'power/speed/driving pleasure-in-style/sporty-young/technology-not-just-gizmos' line-up. i.e., they need new powertrains (t-jet/1.6 mjd)+Abarth.

They must also start cultivating a niche for the CBU-import 500 line-up of cars (many editions of the Cinquecento, the 500L, the 500X...) with their own, semi-autonomous, brand, to go up at lower prices against the Merc A/B/GLA-class, Mini, Skoda Yeti/Audi Q3/BMW X1 etc.

The wider 'mass market' is cornered by the 'blockbusters' of the Indian car baazar, why not go small-budget/niche, addressing, like these alternate films, more open, intelligent, discerning potential audiences?
    dadasaheb, asimpleson and limraj like this.
  10. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    prabhjot likes this.