1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Future Plans

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I do remember during one of the Mumbai-Pune TFI meet at Khopoli, @amogh had arranged a surprise visit by a Fiat Official who had patiently answered the volley of questions/accusations by TFI members. It was good to have that interaction. We should have one of such face to face interactions but I am not aware what medium is available for TFIians to do that.

Just as we expect Fiat to do al ot many things, we also need to understand Fiat's perspective on the growth of the brand in India. Surely there must be "highly paid executives" in Fiat india who might be doing the same thinking as TFIians, maybe few levels higher too.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Didn't somebody mention that he got called by a firm from Mumbai for an invite for customer feedback to some Mumbai venue. Was it a third party research firm. Who knows?
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    A article on the small players of the 2-wheeler industry, whose analytic framework fits our discussions about the Fiat brand positioning issue going forward:

http://indiaautoreport.com/life-fringes/
    asimpleson and pabhishek like this.
  4. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    I also follow this portal @prabhjot , the articles here are witty and at the same time unbiased.
    Great read always.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    I have noticed Old Linea on highway near Fiat plant 2 times in 2 weeks without any camouflage, I wonder what is the need for this testing ?
    not able to take any pics as i was driving alone in my car.
    anybody knows did Fiat tests each and every component of car every month :)
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Fiat have, apparently, during the press meet to announce the appointment of Kevin Flynn as the new MD of FCA India, confirmed the launch of Abarth, at some point. After the budget surely which is only a month away. They will presumably launch the brand with the 500 Competizione, followed by an uptuned Abarth Punto, local-made? They are very right to be pushing the t-jet in particular and Abarth in general, IMO, IF that is indeed how they'll proceed.

BUT: they must look to introduce the entire 500 line of what FCA Europe calls their 'emotional/lifestyle' line of models: the 500 in numerous stylistic non-Abarth editions, the 500L in so far 2 stylistic editions, and the 500X too in 2 different editions (one more 'metropolitan', the other more rugged/butch/'trekking').

I don't know about pricing and I don't know whether the market for these cars justifies CKD or even localized manufacture as opposed to only CBU.

BUT: Mini, owned by BMW, sold nearly 500 cars last year. I believe even if Fiat can, together with Abarth, sell 50-80-100 a year, it'll be a growing micro-market worth making some money off for now? Boost the larger Fiat brand in India? And line-up a profitable marketshare for years to come in the growing small-'luxury' car space (Merc A, B, GLA, Skoda Yeti, Mini, Audi A3/A1).

The 500L and especially the 500X will, like the 500, see many 'special editions' over the next few years, including possibly Abarth versions. And there is going to be a chic roadster+coupe too in the 500 'line', a Fiat-Abarth version of Mazda's famous and affordable new Miata 9to be called the 124 Spider?)

These are beautiful, and beautifully made cars that deserve to be able to compete in the 'premium' small-car space for years to come, in India.

The problem would be that most if not all the current Fiat dealers cannot handle this sort of 'customer' rather than 'consumer', just cannot provide the trusted, smooth, fluent and proper sales experience though most can provide decent service experiences nowadays.

And so: I'd urge FCA to, alongwith the 15 new Jeep dealerships they will apparently launch with, offer the Abarths and the whole 500 'line' (CBU, if necessary, even if expensive, as long as they're below Mini and Merc in the small-luxury space) too.

They've spoken of bundling, outside the US, the Jeep dealers with Alfa ones as the latter new models arrive. They need to also do that, in India, with Abarth and the whole Fiat 500 line, if possible: right from the outset!

They must: since these cars will most likely be cbu: it is a low cost and low risk effort, IF they piggyback on the new Jeep brand-launch and on the hopefully good, 'premium' new dealerships and ASS centres.

It will not work if you bundle these offerings (except maybe the Abarth Punto) with existing dealerships that are in no way tuned for this different sort of 'customer'. Moreover, the 500 'line' must have a quasi-seprate brand identity, else it will be infected at birth in India by the brand-weakness of 'Fiat' in the wider car-public imagination.

No?
    VIJENDRA SINGH likes this.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Speaking to the Financial Times, Sergio Marchionne has spoken openly and emphatically, again, of the need for 'consolidation' in the car industry of which FCA is such a brilliant and singularly successful example.

I SMELL a merger-type combination, globally, between FCA on the one hand and Suzuki/Mazda/Tata Motors, coming soon. And/or other such combinations in Europe. So do many serious analysts of FCA and of the car industry!

The other thing he stated, rather baldly, is that (a) Latin America is not and will not be doing well for a long while, bad for Fiat

(b) their US sales are nearing saturation point

(c) that the ONLY opportunity he sees for FCA to 'leverage capabilities' for sales and profit growth is Europe, implying thereby that he acknowledges that neither China, nor APAC nor India will in the short-term (the next 2 years, say) be adding much to FCA's global profits and revenues.

Hence, i suppose, the emphasis on mergers as the only way forward for FCA and many other big car firms, given the global slowdown, higher technology, marketing and regulatory costs/risks.
  8. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Some great news for prabhjot:)

Screenshot_2015-02-13-07-01-26~2.jpg

Screenshot_2015-02-13-07-01-41~2.jpg

Screenshot_2015-02-13-07-01-48~2.jpg

Screenshot_2015-02-13-07-01-54~2.jpg

Screenshot_2015-02-13-07-02-00~2.jpg

Screenshot_2015-02-13-07-02-06~2.jpg

Screenshot_2015-02-13-07-02-11~2.jpg
  9. acechip

acechip Superiore

I am tired of words like "plans", "testing","consideration" and "roadmap" when it comes to Fiat. In jest, I am reminded of the goofy "PLAAN"s that are hatched time and again by R-'aa'-bert and Bhalla in Andaz Apna Apna, much to the chagrin of Shyam Gopal Bajaj (Paresh Rawal) .

Its just meaningless when other similar mass market car makers churn out new models in the showrooms every year.

And with respect to FCA merging with Tata Motors , I simply dont see the fit. Mazda, maybe. And FCA has yet to fully stabilize its own operations before embarking on another acquisition spree! I'd venture to say that FCA brand doesnt quite carry the same weight in the minds of prospective/ target OE parent companies as a Toyota or a VW or even a Renault-Nissan does.
  10. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot No more plans. I will try not to comment on this thread till we have a car standing in Fiat Caffe Bangalore.
    VIJENDRA SINGH and Mabams1826 like this.