1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Future Plans

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Ideas are always there, but nobody in Fiat bothers to hear it out. Umpteen no of times I had requested Fiat dealer in Thane to display the Avventura in the recently opened, one of the busiest malls in Thane (Viviana mall) where the footfalls esp over the weekends are in 5 figures. If even 10% of the crowd notice the car which comes to around 10K people and even 10% of them show interest which makes say 1000, would not Fiat get bookings for atleast 200 cars?? But the dealer flatly refused saying they dont have permission from Fiat to display the car. Cars like i20 elite get displayed and Hyundai laughs its way to the bank.

In a few days time when the Thane dealer isnt able to generate any profits from Fiat dealership, one fine day they will shutshop without even giving a thought to existing owners.

Fiat is waiting hopefully for a dozen of people like the Surat businessman who can given them bulk orders.
    bharath, prabhjot and acechip like this.
  2. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @jumu Absolutely agree to your point of view. That may have been one of the reason of dealership closing down in eastern and north eastern states.

But isn't it a vicious circle. Less people buying Fiat , so lesser cars on road and lesser foot falls in showrooms, lesser awards to sales person and still lesser sale.

Only way this can be avoided is to have a differentiating factor from other manufacurers and then marketing it in the best possible way. I hope the new FCA head thinks on those lines. Unless Fiat has one block buster product I do not see the sales improving.

Either it has to be a mass market product which sells in huge numbers @ more than 2000 per month or go the niche market route and sell products with higher profits. The current scenario is FIAT is selling a mass market product to niche set of people at huge discounts.

I think most dealers would be sustaining only because of service of cars.

Hoping the scenario changes and I have an upgrade path to my GP 90 HP in 3 years time.
  3. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    @jumu, @ Shams this is the thing which should be looked into, once a dealer shuts shop its the company which is failing and ASS will become worst day after day if this is going to happen.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 5, 2015, Original Post Date: Feb 5, 2015 ---
    Less models = less advertisements = less footfalls in showroom = less cars sold = less cars for service = less resale value =
    FULL CIRCLE
    Fiat in a car Business, and there should be a investment first to get profits (golden rule for any business)
    if they are shy from investing in new models then they do not have confidence in their own ability. i think only seeking profit without investing and closing few dealers (this will happen after some time may be if conditions did not improve) will be not a great business principle.
    countries in which FCA recorded good sales they are in the mass market of that country, if not sales increase would not have been possible.
    just see what TATA and hyundai are doing to give a competition to Maruti and take a lesson from it.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I believe ASS/spares misperceptions-in-the-market will never be a problem if they openly broadcast, broaden, and strengthen their already existing tie-up for service with Mahindra First Choice. They MUST do this, and advertize the fact loudly, even if their dealers and FASS owners protest.

I believe there are cities like Delhi NCR and maybe Bangalore where they perhaps have one too many dealers/FASS, speaking viability here.

There's no doubt about it, i think, as @nibedk says: you can either sells large numbers at low margins or you may be able to sell niche-numbers WITH some pricing power. Only Maruti and Hyundai and Honda (i.e., the 'oligopoly') can have both the numbers and the (luxury marque-like) margins. That to me at least is clear as the light of day. i.e., Fiat have to follow the Royal Enfield/Yamaha strategy from a few years ago.

This does NOT mean all-new cars, because that'll only compound problems, at least for the next 2 years. The only available niche in our thoroughly immature market is: the 'sporty-fast-sexy-italian', IMO. All the other niches are either taken already (no point crying over spilt/ split milk Fiat (fans)!), or don't exist at all.

Though, I'd very strongly urge them to do a retro (Fiat 1100/Fiat 124/Select/PAL-referencing) styling version of the very same Linea we own and love. Abarth 500/Punto+ t-jet versions of the Evo and Avventura, maybe do an Abarth 'edition' of the Linea, lots of customization options at factory level, etc.

Be low-cost radical, Fiat! e.g., how about selling the cars via e-commerce, with a corresponding shut-down of wasted/unviable/redundant dealerships, having just the FASS and the Mahindra First Choice and maybe others too, like Bosch/Carnation if they're available in the relevant geographies. The RK motors model from Mumbai: no Fiat dealership BUT a top-notch official-Fiat service centre, that seems to do good-enough? business too, as i think @asimpleson suggested.
  5. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot 'sporty-fast-sexy-italian' that with the 1.3 ( actually 1248 cc) Mjd Linea ?? and 1.2 FIRE Punto ??
    only thing they need to do is drop these engines and gearbox which is ridiculed at by every reviewer ? why those reviewers are praising TATA Zest and Bolt ? because they are good products and not like FCA India Do some thing FCAIL
    Raj_pol likes this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    That's RS Motors and I am told existing dealer is threated and crying that customers are getting lost to this workshop. Why would customers choose a smaller workshop (service point) over a full-fledged FASC? point to ponder on.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Lolz I cannot help laughing at the 1.2 Fire. :p
    adisrini1103 likes this.
  8. acechip

acechip Superiore

Dear all, I like how we are integrating the topic of Fiat India's future plan . I really hope Fiat India is watching these threads. Like @ghodlur , I have often given my 5 cents to Fiat dealerships in Pune during public exhibitions and the mini-car shows that happen from time to time.(y'all would know who). In fact went so far as advise potential clients who were keenly looking at the cars on display ( some might have thought I was a proxy Fiat sales person) .

But as @prabhjot says, if Fiat is really keen on maintaining status quo via the OE supply route and add a few toppings through Jeep, we the Fiat consumers can do precious little about it.
    I would like to know from Mods if there is another TFI initiative planned to meet Fiat India representatives some time in future. I am aware there was one conducted during the (brief) tenure of Anastascio.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Obviously that branding would require the 1.6 mjd for the Linea. Just like it is already being fulfilled with the upcoming launch of the t-jets in the Evo and Avventura. The 1.3 mjd and yes 1.2 Fire SHOULD continue as it'll enable cost-conscious, price-sensitive people who like the brand (enough) an opportunity. And for some 'volumes', such as they are. But yeah, the branding must from now on be purged of any connotations of 'low cost/fuel efficient/discounts': and focus exclusively on the affordable sportiness of engines and suspensions, 'hotness' of styling, quality of build, etc .
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Oh I wouldn't miss it for the world. Make it happen sooner if possible Admins/Mods. :)
    VIJENDRA SINGH likes this.