1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Future Plans

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Dec 6, 2012.

1. acechip

acechip Superiore

@prabhjot & @adisrini1103 , sheet metal thickness by itself is not, as you would agree, an indicator of strength. The question is, whether my "tin-can" is better than your tin can" ie, what aspects of the structure re-inforcements are there in a Punto/Linea which are totally absent in other cars. For that kind of analysis one needs to take a much deeper technical look, which may be a bit beyond the scope of discussion of this forum. Because there too, there is no absolute right vs wrong. No "checklist" to say that a particular item found/missing contributes to superior build quality. Various car manufacturers may have their own variation/interpretation.

Amongst the Maruti cars, the SX4, has more than adequate build quality. Yet that did not prevent the demise of a Union Minister, who apparently was not belted in and perhaps suffered severe "stress and shock" levels while not having direct injuries to his body.
    NOW- if the car had side impact airbags, and he had worn a seat belt,then it could have perhaps reduced the trauma levels and he may have survived.
    Raj_pol and asimpleson like this.
  2. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

Chennai
    I am not getting the point about 'safety' here. When people talk about safety, they only mean AIRBags and ABS. They conveniently forget the other important passive safety terms like seat belts with pretensioners , monocoque construction and its rigidity, Braking distance, Handling of the car during emergency maneuvers, Steering precision, Tyre width, etc. which helps avoiding the collision to a great extent.

Now from this point of view, even though Etios twins have airbags in all versions, it seems Punto active is a safer car.

I am not suspecting the use of Airbags here. My point is, all the above mentioned points should be taken into consideration to confirm if a car is safer or not. But we conveniently miss/hide all these aspects and speak only about Airbagsā€¦

From the above point of view, FIAT Linea will anyday fare better than Honda City/Hyundai Verna.
    FIAT Punto will anyday fare better than i20, Liva, Swift
    prabhjot and Ichimaru like this.
  3. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    @jackharrisw

Perfectly Said!

I have been saying this to people around me for years; but all they believe is what either the auto mags write or what their family members say. Sadly, most of it is against FIAT.
    Adding to what you said, even for the performance of the car, seems that all that is cared about is 0-100 timings forgetting the mid range, lap time, braking, handling etc.

I, for sure can say, no other car in India till date has made me happier than the old palio, my Punto 75 HP and the Linea TJET this side of 10L.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The main point of discussion was not (supposed to be) effectiveness of Airbags or overall safety effectiveness of Fiat cars; it just began when a fellow TFIan pointed out that he would rather suggest Polo with Airbag than a non-Airbag version of Punto. There is absolutely nothing wrong in that opinion either. The point therefore is should Fiat standardize Airbags in all variants in their future plans?
    Raj_pol and prabhjot like this.
  5. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    @asimpleson I agree with you Fiat should offer/give ABS and Airbags like VW in all their cars and market them as safest in the segment may be with crash test results.
    prabhjot and asimpleson like this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @dadasaheb

yes, yes sir-ji....and see it make no difference to sales figures!;):p:banghead:
  7. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @prabhjot Its not about whether it makes a difference to sales figure or not. FIAT has to differentiate itself from other manufacturers. The only thing that is visibly different or can be felt physically is the build quality of Fiats. Adding safety fatures on lower variants will make FIATS inherently more safer than other cars and can be the differentiating factor for FIAT. They can market FIATS for superior buld quiality and safety features.

I know suspension, handling and steering feel are strenghts as well but at least these cant be felt within a short test drive in teh city. So at least FIAT can market all it cars as the safest in theri segments.

Anyway they are in profits due to engines and have to hope one of their steps will clik with masses. Why not try the most safest cars in the segment route?
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    At least Fiat should have the same as an option and then loudly trumpet the same. It is hard work and the group has to chip in at the market, which means they have to give at every little opportunity, however small it may be.
    acechip likes this.
  9. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Fiat is in profit, but what about the poor dealerships who have invested huge amounts on showrooms, service centres and deposits? At average of 10 cars sold per dealer at a margin of 8000/- per car, they wont last long. That should be more worrying for Fiat I guess.

Abdul
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Recently i was speaking to a senior person at one of the Fiat service centers in bangalore. He informed that they are making loss every month for last few months. they have capacity to service 35 cars/day but are getting 10/day on an average. If it remains like this for few more months then it will be very difficult to sustain.

Listening to all this I gave him some ideas which may help to market the Showrooms/SC more. Lets hope for the best is all i can say.
    prabhjot, Ichimaru and asimpleson like this.