1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Future Plans

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Dec 6, 2012.

1. acechip

acechip Superiore

That Marchionne is a good CEO is evident, although I havent followed his moves as you seem to have. The fact that he has successfully forged a merger with Chrysler (the perennial problem child of Detroit) , and better than what Dr Dieter managed to achieve with his "Deutsch Technokraten" , speaks for itself. But the same astute business sense could be channelised better with respect to India, rather than allow "global" transformation forces shape up the story. For example, there is space for Fiat, if Renault/Nissan does not succeed (both or either of them). The point is, if Nissan can shamelessly pursue its mediocre Datsun offerings in the garb of VFM, surely Fiat can do the same with its far better products !
    I took a quick look at Datsun Go+ the other day when I went to get my Micra repaired for some minor scratchs/dents. Man- its absolutely hideous , inside out ! And I am usually quite reserved in my critcism.
    prabhjot and dadasaheb like this.
  2. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    In one line i will say stop linea and punto production or continue the same way as they are being sold.
    Rename FIAT with Chrysler or replace FIAT badge by Chrysler on Linea and Punto with all new exteriors, a direct lift from Chrysler cars.

All the problems of Bad brand reputation will be solved, and launch the new Brand with a lot of hype and Big Bang.
    acechip, Rituraj and Raj_pol like this.
  3. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @bibin

I am betting: yes! 'Sometime' this year.

I do feel they can offer it to decent sales effect even on the new Linea mjd. I doubt it will make a noticeable sales difference to the Punto Evo and Avventura.

But it will be a decent brand-enhancement exercise, and an inexpensive/low-risk one at that. If tom-tom-ed via advertising.
  5. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    seeing Fiat's great attitude towards our market the AMT will be a dream.
    If somebody has concrete source/link please share it.
  6. acechip

acechip Superiore

Wouldnt be a bad idea. The Linea also has a close semblance to Chryslers former "cab forward designs like the Intrepid/ Sebring etc.

2004_dodge_intrepid_se-pic-6900997368799038144.jpeg

04-06-Chrysler-Sebring-Rear.jpg

Sample.JPG
    rishike007, dadasaheb and Dr. Fixated like this.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @dadasaheb

There's NO chance FCA will ever do badge-engineering of the sort you advocate. Marchionne is RADICALLY committed to and FCA as a whole are remarkable for having multiple brands with emphatic, clear-cut identities and histories with no badge engineering, except for the Dodge Journey= Fiat Freemont, and some Ram Professional vans that are closely and obviously derived from Fiat Vans.

To do that sort of thing successfully requires the badge-engineered new brand to ALREADY have some independent-of-product brand-power in the marketplace. A new brand can work in the luxury space over time (as proven by Jaguar-Land Rover in India), there's NO chance of it working in the mass market, since 'brand recall/recognition' and 'trust' are totally missing for 'Chrysler' or say 'Dodge', and has to be very expensively and riskily earned.

To overcome the sheer statistical/demographic weight of herd-ed opinion in favour of MS, HY, H and Toyota and against say Fiat or Skoda or even VW, etc, in this marketplace is good deal harder than a name-change. Because these are 'structural' facts of the marketplace culture, and cannot be shifted just with a new badge, a new body-style, or a new product-spec.

It may even be impossible, short of a Tata Motors-like (currently) commitment of thousands of crores over many years.

I do feel, like @Biraj, that Fiat can only go niche, and slowly expand from there over time: performance, youth, sport, speed, technology, power, raciness, Italian sexiness etc.

That needs: the t-jet in all 3 cars. Done? Coming very soon? +Advertising.

1.6 mjd in all three cars, not just the Linea. Coming? When? +Advertising.

Up-tuned versions of all three cars, t-jet and diesels: Abarth? + Advertising.

Automatics? Twin-clutch for the t-jets, and AMT-s for the diesels? + Advertising.
    PKMohan and acechip like this.
  8. acechip

acechip Superiore

@prabhjot - To build a niche segment, you need to attract peoples attention by highlighting the unique factors in your products. You are not going to get "new" customers in to your fold by simply relying on them getting their information from TFI or word-of-mouth. Fiat needs to do a serious analysis of what exactly is "niche" in their products ?

Is it the "hard" and overt attributes such as looks, interior design or external build quality? Is it the "latent" or "soft" attribute of driveability, steering feel, handling?
    And what exactly is so unique with respect to Fiat products in these attributes ? It is extremely difficult to explain to the Indian customer who may not have had a lot of experience of driving cars.
    Unless Fiat creates a story (even hype if you say so) around these soft attributes, merely having cars "available" for enthusiasts is not going to sell them.
    And most important- what about current Fiat owners ? Whether Fiat India bothers or not, they are adding atleast 8-10000 owners for the past 3-4 years. Surely they are looking for an upgrade path in the next 1-2 years ? Even if 50% are satisfied with their current cars, we are talking a market of 15-20000 , easy. And the 50% is on the extreme conservative side.

In fact, some of the attributes that you talk about, ie performance, youth, sport, speed, technology, power- there are other car brands that also offer this in good measure-notably, the entry level segments of the Deutsch-troika. And they are well entrenched by now. So how should Fiat address this ? Merely plonking in the T-jet in the Punto Evo and conducting "zero" advertising will not make it happen.
    ITs back to the "traditional" mithaiwala across the modern mall syndrome. There is a famous Mithai shop in Pune which has served excellent products over many dozens of years, and has only recently opened new outlets- they used to proudly pronounce " we do not have other branches" not so long ago. The ad campaign " if you still like driving, we are still ahead" smacks of the same lethargic arrogance in the Indian context. The actual message is rather subtle, but subtelty is not an Indian virtue (need I say that?).
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    at least people will not be scared of the new brand, believe me 2 people from my friend circle did not even shortlisted Linea as an option for their sedan purchase because its a FIAT.
    one opted for Etios Diesel top end for the so called Toyota reliability only. even if interiors and exteriors are bad.
    another opted for Ciaz Petrol instead of T-Jet reasons difference of 5 kmpl in ARAI and ASS of Maruti and FIAT
    at least when there is a new brand name people will give it a try without scaring like in case of FIAT.
    I think people does not consider the build quality, steering, handling and dynamics even as a parameter for their purchase.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 30, 2015 ---
    @prabhjot please pardon me but your are just copy pasting herd mentality and market dominance of M/H/Hyu/T in your each post.
    at least we have something new to share and express.
    No personal offence at all, sorry.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  10. acechip

acechip Superiore

Market dominance of M/H/T/Hy is a reality that has not happened overnight, and certainly not without hard work. That the Indian mentality is skewed towards them is not the cause- its the effect. Especially I would say, Hyundai of the lot. Because they really had to establish their brand out of nowhere. Atleast Honda/Toyota's reputation preceeded them. Simply put, Hyundai gave what Indians wanted and still continue to do so. Let me tell you a small experience that most may be encountering daily. The other day, I was coming home from work on a less-frequented route from Hinjewadi, that is a single lane country road in good condition, full of twisties. I was "ambling" about in my Linea at 60 kph, when a I-20 (Elite) blazed past me in a particularly cavalier fashion, and continued in this manner up ahead, unmindful of the oncoming twisties and even oncoming traffic. Apparently, the driver had no particular concern as to whether his car was accelerating well enough, or whether the steering was tight or woolly-light etc. As far as he was concerned, he would have been exceedingly happy with his car. Perhaps it would have given him his mileage and some thrills as well. Serves to illustrate that what Fiat considers its superior attributes, others may not so. Tackling negative perceptions about Fiat A.S.S may be an easier thing because its a very visible aspect of your presence. Convincing buyers to appreciate a "feel" for the car is truly difficult.
    prabhjot, asimpleson, bharath and 4 others like this.