1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India - Future Plans

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Dec 6, 2012.

1. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

BANGALORE
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    May be 1.6 or 1.5 mjt also. Considering no new addition to sedan category from fiat till new siena 2016, quite possible for a new upgeaded linea. Heavy discount on linea also justifies for something new at the corner.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. Vishi

Vishi Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I too hope that Linea gets a new heart. But the heavy discounts were to clear the 2014 manufactured Linea stock present with each dealer. I got to know from the dealer that they have to pay interest if the vehicle is not sold and is in stockyard. Hence dealers and Fiat come to an common agreement and start announcing the offers.
    SOOZ_P and prabhjot like this.
  3. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    Have seen linea in Prestiage Tech Park. Harman people are working on that. Can we expect something from them like maps, touch infotainment.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    OT but very related since Fiat (alongwith Tata and Maruti Szuki) in India seem to exemplify the following strategy enunciated just 2 days ago at the Detroit Auto Show by Marchionne, in what Fortune magazine calls a 'bravura performance' of a press conference.

Marchionne was asked about his oft quoted and celebrated comments that the car industry is too prone to overcapacity and overinvestment, and so needs much more consolidation. He's been saying it for a decade, and walked the talk with the Chrysler takeover.

When asked about further such plans, this time he shifted emphasis to what he believes is the useless-to-the-coustomer duplication of efforts by firms esp with engines and transmissions, advocating instead a much more widespread sharing across even big firms of engines. This he says is the other, non-M&A way in which the car industry can start earning its cost of capital. He made the provocative claim that MOST firms do NOT achieve that i.e., that all those hundreds of billions every year are being wasted in the car industry, and would be better invested elsewhere. He attributed this failure to cooperate and share powertrains etc across competitor firms to the ego-s of executives (un)like himself.

IN WHICH CASE, this interpretation follows?: India is a sort of ideal scenario as Marchionne sees it, far greater returns are being achieved by the sharing of engines and other manufacturing than would've/could've been the case for either Fiat, Tata or especially Maruti on their own. Cooperation-AND-competition, rather than a 'free market' cut-throat approach.

Also, this suggests that Marchionne and Suzuki are indeed brewing EVEN greater synergy, perhaps short of a merger or equity swap, a deeper sharing of engines (who knows, maybe even turbo-petrols, at some point?) and platforms and new-vehicle development? Again, India would be central to that.
    Dr. Fixated likes this.
  5. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Maruti Dezire, Hyundai xcent are sold as sedan in india. Fiat should declare Linea as a super or luxury sedan.;)
    mangeshtendulkar likes this.
  6. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    rishike007 and dadasaheb like this.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @MakeTheMove

I believe Fiat India F-ed-up in the past, repeatedly. Others, did not, relative to the automotive 'values' prevalent here, which are in any case hostile STILL to the kind of values the European and American firms embody. They weren't the only ones to. All the firms that did are in the dog-house of popular mass car-buying opinion, to slightly varying degrees.

Fiat in Brazil is CULTURALLY accepted and celebrated, almost as a national car company. That's the difference. Fiat in Brazil IS the Maruti of India, only with better cars, of course! Whether as cause or as consequence: Fiat has for decades made good money in LatAm, operating out of Brazil, it has never managed to in India, and so is too financially weak/risk-averse to fight back with the many THOUSANDS of crores it will take in this market, now. (Tata are a test case: they are re-launching their brand with the Zest and the Bolt, revamped dealerships etc. They are on record as saying heir expenditure is of the order of 3000!! crores. And yet its success is still to be doubted, I believe.)

Their efforts since the split from Tata have been pretty Ok, as far as i am concerned as a happy owner and user of 4 Fiats over 5 years, BUT are still FAR too inadequate/unequal to the scale and difficulty of the task, as shown by the Tata, 3000 crores example.

Hence, the argument that they should tilt towards niche (Abarth Punto, Avventura, 500, hell why not an Abarth Linea?!) and towards their premium brand(s): Jeep (+Alfa, later?). Even as they make terrific profits via Tata and Maruti.
  8. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    Indeed this should be done. Last Sunday while watching CNBC Awaaz Overdrive got the revelation that Honda City is luxury sedan when one of viewer questioned Overdrive expert (Tutu Dh**an) on which Luxury sedan to be considered and the response was Honda City. I couldn't stop my laugh so was my wife :D
    rishike007, jackharrisw and prabhjot like this.
  9. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    I remember the same guy suggesting a Wagon R on a TV show to a guy who wanted a safe, well built car to drive on the highways back in the day of the amazing Palio!
    Since that day, I watched him only if I desperately needed a laugh :D
    rishike007, jackharrisw and prabhjot like this.
  10. deepakhon

deepakhon Amatore

Bangalore
    I too remember having had an email conversation with him at the time I was deciding between a Santro and a Palio. That was about 10 years back. He kept on telling me to buy a Santro. Sure enough, I bought a Palio and was very happy with it.