1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat India future launches

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    The reason is, those vehicles may not be capable of taking high powered engines :).
    Linea, of course deserves to get better engine than current 1.3 MJD. But, still it is definitely not underpowered.
  2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Guys, please understand that people are not entirely wrong in feeling that Linea & Punto are under-powered. The first two gears are supremely pathetic and the car barely manages to move!

Compare that to the Altis or even the Octavia which seem sprightly from the first gear. Most people do not bother with engine size and bhp , torque figures. I can bet many people maybe owning a car for years and they still wouldn't know what size engine and power they have. Most of the people go with feel and Fiat loses the plot in the first two gears. After that it doesn't matter because first impressions are last impressions.
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Ramjn, Sometimes we FIATians invite critics too. Never the less i have been more of a critic than you. It makes people feel suicidal who have spent Rs. 15-20 lacs on a car. In case some-one happens to own a Punto & Octavia, he will be like ::OO& will start hating Punto. Obviously because your comment is making him realize the financial penalty (twice the cost of Punto):mrgreen:. Good going by the way but it will only worsen the situation because it would make one hate FIAT & love SKODA!! That;s why there are such extreme emotions of FIAT. People have to oppose the concept else it proves them DUMB...!!

But you unknowingly made a valid point. Skoda VRS was a petrol roadster for India & how many people bought that. I also agree with you that it wasn't capable enough to carry that power but it explains something else too. How many People buy
    3.6 Ltr V6 Accord 280P accord? But accords have done a very good job to eliminate the underpowered tag from their smaller siblings. 60 HP & 72 HP / HC & NHC were never underpowered. were they?
    Octavia for 15 lacs & Previous Laura for 18 lacs (105 BHP, 230 NM) were never underpowered? were they?

People crib about 1.6 MJD.FIAT, why don't you put 2 Ltr MJD (170 HP, 360 NM) in Linea. Import engine/gearbox with no investment in India, upgrade to brembo brakes & price it 14-15 lacs. Hell yeah, who is stopping you!!

You may not sell a single one but mere publishing the news will remove this "UNDERPOWERED" TAG from Punto/Linea. For sure which is classic case of ignorance & after all FIAT Owners have reported to touch 190 Km/hr for pony 1.2 MJD & over 200 Km/hr in T-Jet.

Why only Linea, put it in Punto Abarth & price it 13 Lacs.

Again you may not sell a single one (one sale is guaranteed for sure:cool:) but that will make 90 HP a roadster on Indian roads. It would give the people an illusion of smelling roasted tires by merely watching one of these mad bulls on power trip. all Chinese enthusiast's lips will be sewn in a hard way.

Sometimes i feel that it's a crime to be passionate about FIAT among Chinese enthusiasts everywhere:A.No FIAT owner have commented it "underpowered" (obviously they wish for more). Pnly the one who never had/have/will have one.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    3 people like this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Why the Fiat has chosen low pulling power for 1st and 2nd gear? If it is for FE does it worth for the criticism it has to face?
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    ENKI bhai, the FIAT 1.3 Multijets may definitely be fast overall, but they are not quick in the first two gears. And this anomaly is enough to stamp the impression in the buyer's mind that this car ain't quick.

Even i was taken aback by this when i test drove the Linea way back in 2009 & in 2011 again before buying, and thought that the engine is a mighty disappointment.

It was only when our own Linea came home and i took it on the highway that i realised that this is no 0-100 sprinter, but a GT car. Grand Tourer , atleast by Indian standards. People can moan&cry all they want about Linea's high revs at high speeds (120kmph+) , but apart from a few selected roads where can we do sustained high speed runs?

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

FIAT has not chosen low pulling power , mate. It just went with high gear ratios for the 1st and 2nd. Make these two gears taller and you'll feel the car is pulling to higher speeds.

On the other side of the coin, you'll find yourself shifting down to first gear at every opportunity as second gear would be quite useless to start from low speeds. So, you sacrifice everyday driveability for the sake of higher speeds in these two gears. Hope the dilemma is clear here.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. You give some, take some.
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Obviously Gurjinder, that is the case & it's not a secret as well. But isn't this kind of tuning is really bad?
    I liked it a lot. Whole day you can roam around in 3rd gear @15 km/hr & yawn in bumper-bumper traffic. It makes city driving only boring but not "punishing".
    What about you & other TFIans? I explained you earlier how it was a pain to drive more powerful car with lesser FE/lesser avg speed & it was very tiring for 3 days. This sort of tuning is boon in country like India.

But, underpowered? I would blame lesser aware buyer for this understanding. People were amazed with eyes wide open whenever i showed them how one could use this short gearing for wiping out sins in daily drive, reach home happy but still spending less.Tagging underpowered is too unfair & exaggeration, i guess. There were a dictionary of words.

There are many genuinely underpowered vehicles actually & somehow managed not to be noticed by an average buyer.
    Or even guys like us who spend whole day on auto-forums. Underpowered word suits more to Indica diesel, Ritz diesel (with 52 BHP), I20 petrol, Fusion/Fiesta diesel & 2006 Palio Stile (1 ltr petrol, 52 bhp i guess). You are not going anywhere say after... 120-130 with these roadsters:p. No speed freak will ever touch them even with a 3rd degree torture:dancing.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I agree with you ENKI. But, I will have to correct you here. Ritz Diesel is powered with the same 75HP, not 52HP and its not under powered. I think you might have thought about the Beat Diesel.

To add to the list, I feel Alto (regular Alto not K10) is also underpowered.
  8. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    @ ENKI,IIRC linea derived from opel corsa platform.This baby has got german blood.guys please correct if am wrong
    i certainly vouch amit's comment regarding underpower
  9. PranavOne

PranavOne Amatore

Chennai
    I have a question, Octavia 1.9 TDI - how skoda people keep almost zero turbo lag, Why don't FIAT make it like in Lineas and Puntos? Is .6 CC difference only the answer?
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    The difference between 1.9 TDI and 1.3 MJD is not 0.6 CC, in cubic capacity 1.3 MJD is 648 CC short of the Skoda 1.9 TDI
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.