1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT Grande Punto Sport: KEMPI

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by NishanthNag, Feb 6, 2013.

1. NishanthNag

NishanthNag Amatore

Bengalooru
    Bengalooru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thanks Ganges, Red Hot fire with thunder & Apache around :) ... Infact i shouldn't be doing this on the highway, i was showing my friend (Navigator) how usefull the auto acceleration is helpfull. I shifted to 5th & off goes my feet from the floor , both my feet were on the seats :p for almost 10-15 KMS :p ... Super .. even we did couple of pit stops for Tea & S**** . Cheers Bud.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Great teaser pics Nishanth and very well written about Punto and highway/ghat ride.
    Punto 90HP is a breeze to drive and AC is very good keeps you cool in any part of Inida :)
  3. NishanthNag

NishanthNag Amatore

Bengalooru
    Bengalooru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thanks Raj :) ... Second that ... Day before it was a sudden freezing rain & the windshield got fogged within few seconds & wow the defogger did its work within seconds , slowly experiencing every features of KEMPI :) .. completed 3700KMS, another 1300 cant wait to get the oil changed & 1st service ...

@All ... any suggestion on which oil brand to go for ? & why that brand .. Cheers
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Driving down the ghats that too the Sigur Ghats in 4th and 5th is not a good idea. With this method, the brake usage is more even if there is zilch traffic. Once the brakes heat up their effectiveness reduces be it any car. The thumb rule for driving in ghats is use the gear you used to drive up the ghats while driving down the ghats. It helps in using the engine braking and keeps the brake relatively cooler.

Good pictures from the trip.
    1 person likes this.
  5. NishanthNag

NishanthNag Amatore

Bengalooru
    Bengalooru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Strongly agree with every word of your nkrishnap :) , as i have mentioned in the writeup, this is my first Diesel drive Up/Down in the Ghat. I wanted to see if she could take it ;) . We stopped thrice while driving down for pics, so believe there wasn't much of brake heating up, but yes there was burnt smell & smoke off the wheel. Thanks again for highlighting :)

Will upload few more pics soon, Thanks ...
  6. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Smoke and burnt smell from the is not at all good sign :eek:. I have seen few indicas pouring water on the brakes when it heats up, I have nothing to say about that. :evilsmile

Please do not drive down the ghats this way, it will do more harm than good and also murders your brake pads and rotors. If you do smell the burnt smell, pull over for 30 mins or so and chill off for sometime unless the brakes cool off.
  7. NishanthNag

NishanthNag Amatore

Bengalooru
    Bengalooru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    nkrishnap, i am driving down the ghat which has got 36 hair pins & 45 degree incline you expect brakes not getting hot & smoke ?? :evilsmile !!!
    Pouring water on hot metal u know what happens ! thats so super dumb :eek:...
    Yes we did 2-3 stops for photos & tea brks :) ... When the brakes are excessively used due to the friction & heat - smoke is emitted is my understanding. Thanks :)

Also if observed (specially on the front wheel) on the magg wheel there is black layer created after doing a city / highway drive (kind of powder which is assumed to be smoke layer), During the process of washing the moment water is sprayed the powder is removed & black water pours & pours ... Any clue what that is & why ?? -- myunderstanding "thats smoke layer" :ugeek:
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  8. cannonera

cannonera Amatore

Bangalore
    What comes out is nothing but Brake Dust(mostly associated with Disc Brakes) that has got mixed with water...

Regards,
    Hari
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  9. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I have been on this route n number of times and the brakes would not heat up to the level of even getting the burnt smell if you use the gears instead of brakes. The point I wanted to make is excess heat on brakes will only wear it out faster and the braking efficiency goes for a toss.

Thats the brake dust which is sitting on the alloys. Cleaning the alloys will bring back to as good as new along with a godd amount of back pain by the time you end up cleaning the 4 wheels.
    1 person likes this.
  10. NishanthNag

NishanthNag Amatore

Bengalooru
    Bengalooru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Yeah as brand new !!! ofcourse back pain :) ... What i do is, spray liquid soap & give it some time to soak well, then i use Kärcher (K 2.120) ... Silver wheel looks as brand new :D