1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Grande Punto MJD Emotion Pk

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by amit, May 23, 2010.

1. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    July 12, 2009.
    14.34 hours.
    Fortune Tata-Fiat, Nerul.

I slot in the desmodonic key into the Punto's ignition slot and crank my new car to life. It's a Exotica Red Grande Punto MJD Emotion Pack.

IMG_0023.JPG
  2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    A minor niggle erupted on the same day.

There was some noise coming seemingly from the underbody of the car.I suspected that the muffler was loose and hence hitting the underside. I sent the car to Fortune the next day. At 3pm I reached the dealership to check on the progress. The guy's changed the front link rods saying that Fiat had asked dealers to change tie rods of Linea on customer complaints. I hadn't heard of that but allowed them to do the work. New tie rods installed the car was taken for a test drive and sound was still there. Another technician was now called. He opened the bonnet, checked some bolts, found 2 of them loose and tightened them. Off we went for a test drive and the problem is gone. It took him 2 minutes to solve the issue!
  3. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    With 23/8/09 being a holiday, I decided to take off to Gujarat for the weekend. Monsoon ravaged roads and the Punto at 18xxkms meant that I almost went for the keys of the SX4 but at the last minute I decided to take the Punto along for a 400+ kms highway drive and thank God for that decision.

We tanked up at the IOC fuel pump at Sector 17 Vashi at about 9.20am and set off on our highway jaunt. We finished off the round trip at 421kms and my observations:

- Punto is a highway star. It was born for the highways. What a cruiser! So solid. So safe. So sure. It leaves a lot of more expensive cars feeling like outdated old relics. All along the Mumbai-Gujarat highway the car felt like it was bolted on the roads.

- The seats are just FANTASTIC! Even after a 4 hour drive, I was so comfortable and in fact, felt like I was good to go on for at least a couple of hours more. The seats hug you into position and despite the slightly lacking underthigh support, I never felt minutely uncomfortable. In comparision, the Palio's hard seats made me tired about 3 hours into a drive. In fact, Punto's seats are better then SX4 too.

- Ever since I test drove the Linea in January, I found the steering a bit too high set even at it's lowest position. This could be uncomfortable in long drives is what I remember thinking then and this was always at the back of my mind till now. But there was no such issues. The trick is to really sink into the seats of the car and then drive. Never for a second I felt like I was stretching up to hold the steering.

- On the way back, something happened to the car somewhere post 2000kms. It suddenly felt raring to go, the engine felt revy, the tacho was eager to zoom. There was a stark difference in the way the car behaved on the way back to Mumbai. The car felt ready to zoom, to get ahead. The engine felt a bit freed up. The return journey was far more entairtaining then the drive to Gujarat. Yes, first and second gear's are the problem area and always will be but from third the car just felt so much more easier and lighter on the go.

- Ride and handling are just a class apart. The road coming back to Mumbai from Virar is quite bad and the Punto took all of it in it's stride. Thank God that I took the Punto because the SX4 would have left us shaken and stirred on those roads.

- Since the car is still in running in, I restricted myself to 100 - 110kmph / 2500-2700rpm. At 100 I felt like I was doing 60! So stable and sure is the Punto that I actually found myself thinking about how bloody good the car would be with a 1.6L MJD and 1.4L T-Jet. Come on, Fiat get these engines in here. The Punto deserves them.

Trivia about the trip.

- We stopped over at the Parsi da Dhaba on the way back before Talasari for their famous Doodhpuff but for our bad luck it wasn't avaliable on that day. Since we started off after lunch, there wasn't much we wanted to eat but I tell you we had the most divine Paneer pakoda's there. These guys have their own dairy and make all milk products in house and that panner was divine! It was so soft and fluffy and it just melted into our mouths! The place is a delight for non-vegetarian's and I know where I am going to have lunch the next time!

The restuarant building was really well made too. Check it out:

IMG_0135.JPG

Mileage?

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG
    1 person likes this.
  4. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    On 10/09/09 the first service was done at Fortune, Nerul. This is when the clutch master cylinder issue was detected. Mine was among the first cars to have this changed. Subsequently, this turned into a kind of a unofficial recall.

[attachment=0:34ha53ll]GP-11.JPG[/attachment:34ha53ll]

GP-11.JPG
  5. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I think the change that has left me amazed since the past 3 days can now be disclosed. It's the fourth day today and the change seems here to stay. So, I am giving a heads up to fellow punter's. Keep a watch for this in your cars.

On sunday, I drove to Lonavala and drove back on Monday. Somewhere along the journey I crossed 4,000kms and by the time I got back to work on Monday morning the odo was at about 4,150kms. In the evening the MultiJet engine was suddenly very quiet and refined, so refined that I almost was straining to listen to the engine at idling. I started driving and the refinement continued, second gear 2000 -2500 rpm, the engine sound was there, but it was not cluttery but smooth with a sporty gruff and yes, refined. So different was the engine behaving that even a female co-passenger asked me "Have you done something? Why is the car so quiet today?"

So the observation started from Sunday evening. It's holding up and even today the engine is silent and refined. To be honest, I haven't driven consistantly at 110-120kmph / 2500 - 2700 rpm since the refinement came in so top speed engine refinement results are still not out. It surely feels like there will be an improvement though.

So drastic is the improvement, that it feels like there is a different engine in the car! Any punter's here who have finished 4k Kms please tell me if your MJD is behaving the same way. I don't remember any Linea MJD owner commenting on this though. But, my Punto has left me really amazed.

Do note that the refinement is there even on cold starts where diesel's are notorious for loud sound.

I have to add here that the refinement is observed only till about 2500rpm. Above that the MJD was on the noiser side and it continues to be noisy till date.
  6. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    On 18th Feb, Thursday, I checked the beading on the rear door / B pillar and realised it's coming out quite easily. There were no rust spots anywhere. Yet.

I realised on Thursday afternoon that I would have to get out of town on Friday (my weekly off) which meant I would have to get this checked out after 8 days. I called the service advisor at Fortune Nerul at 3.30pm and he asked to get the car over for a check. I reached the service center at 4.30pm.

The technicians checked the beading and yanked it out. They showed me the inside part of the beading and there was definite rusting inside. The service advisor said 2 Linea's had the same issue as mine and that there is a metal rod inside the beading that rusts which results in rusting in the car. My car was safe. I was taken to the spares section and the guys were asked to see if the new beadings were in stock. Yes, they did have them in stock. Immediately the job card was made and the car was taken into the service bay. On my insistance they applied polish and paint protector on the B pillar and installed the new beadings. While this was being done, the fluid's and filters were checked and I was asked if I would like to get the air filter changed. This was done in the next few minutes. I was standing with my car through out and almost everyone from technicians to managerial level people kept asking me if things are going okay and to my satisfaction with the car.

I was out of the dealership by 6.30pm. On my way out both the designated Fiat service advisors saw me off and the other SA gave me his name and number and told me that in case Nagendra was not avaliable I should feel free to call him directly.

Yesterday, I got a follow up call from them and after I gave a good feedback, they told me that I would be getting a call from Tata tomorrow (Today) and asked if they can expect similar rankings (10/10) from me to Tata as well because the last time I had only given 8/10 to the service advisor and dealership. I told them not to worry about rankings this time as I was genuinely satisfied. Let's see if the call comes today but what gets cleared from this is that there is a threat looming over the dealerships that any slip up will be taken seriously by the manufacturer. The fact that they checked out on the last ranking given by me shows that there is a serious effort on part of the manufacturer through it's dealers to get things right for their customers and the pressure is being felt by the dealer's.

Surely there is a lot of background work going on and as a Fiat owner, I can see visible difference in the dealership's approach today as compared to July - August 2009 when I bought the Punto.
  7. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    On 26/3/2010 with 14,855kms on the odo, I drove my car into Fortune Nerul for it's second service.

Do note that I did change my engine oil at about 7,500kms against the manufacturer recommended 15,000 kms interval. My advice would be to stick to what Fiat says as I found absolutely no change in the engine performance when I changed the oil at 7.5K mark.

Complaints?

- Rear parcel tray was broken. I didn't complain about it.
    - Front driver's seat creaks sometimes.
    - Front logo was flicked from Galleria mall at Vashi.

It took about 30-40 minutes for a service advisor to attend to me. A goof up to start off with! It was my weekly off so I was going to stick around with my car all day and watch the service being done. Everything went off smoothly till it came to washing. Fortune has a bottle neck at the washing area and there was a huge line up of almost 30-40 cars awaiting the wash! A good hour went by till the time for my car came. Ultimately, I left the dealership at about 7.30pm!

Front seats were to be replaced under warranty as greasing the rails didn't help solve the issue. This remains pending till today due to non-follow up on my part. Still shouldn't the dealer follow up?

[attachment=0:5q12tbvd]punto-2.JPG[/attachment:5q12tbvd]

punto-2.JPG
  8. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

TBHP watermark on the image (viewtopic.php?f=48&t=37&p=230#p222), You may wanna take it out ;)
  9. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    You know what's special about the Punto? A year and almost 19,000kms later, one fine day it reminds you of what it is that makes you so fond of her.

Yesterday evening at about 8.30pm I was driving back home on the Chembur - Vashi highway and my Punto reminded me of just that. Now I do agree that the Punto MJD is no road burner and will not scorch the road on it's way from 0 to 100 and neither will it paste a huge grin on your face as you do that BUT there is more to it then 0-100 timings.

There I was, driving the car listening to Enrique on my upgraded ICE enjoying myself when suddenly I realised how sure footed the car was. Doing about 100kmph, MID was flashing between 18.xx to 21.xx constantly and all this while I was insulated from the outside noise totally. No road or wind noise & nothing rattling in the car. Sure I was below 2500rpm so engine noise was muted and under control too.

What makes Fiat's special is that they make you feel like Indian roads are much better then they actually are! No matter what joint on the road, no matter what pothole or rumbler strips or bad stretch on the road, this Fiat just brushes them all off and keeps going almost as if telling our government's blatantly corrupt road building department 'Thats it? Thats all you got? Come on I am sure you can do better then that!!' :)

A change of lane needed to overtake slow going traffic? I switch on the indicator and a twist to the brilliant hydraulic power steering and the Punto almost springs into action in an instant. A twist and it's changed lanes and all this with so much of solidity and sure footedness that you almost find yourself sinking into the seat thinking 'Driving in India is so easy!' And that's when I thought 'Why do people here say that Fiat's are difficult to drivve? Why do they say that Maruti and Hyundai are easy cars to drive?' This is seen more so when a car is being bought to be driven by a woman. The logic is always that Maruti / Hyundai cars are lighter and have light , easy controls so they are easy to drive. Are they? A light steering needs you to be more alert doesnt it? A twist and you may find your car changing across one and a half lane of traffic if you are not alert. I have noticed this in my SX4 with EPS. Isnt it far easier in the Punto where the car does EXACTLY what it's been told to do so? Isn't it easier to drive a car that you know will obey your command EXACTLY the way you want it to? Nothing more nothing less? Isn't it easier to drive a car that will not shake you up in your seats, jiggle you as it goes over a speedbreaker, make you disco dance in your seats as long as it's being driven!?

Whether it was climbing up a flyover, taking a curve , overtaking slow moving traffic , dealing and despatching bad roads, the Punto did everything without making you realise it's doing it leaving you all the time and freedom to enjoy whatever it is that you want to do. You can listen to music , you can enjoy the brilliant drive of this car or like me, simply hold hands of your beloved as you drive. Manual transmissions and chaotic Indian traffic don't allow you to do that you say? I do it. Take her hand and place it on the gear lever, place your hand on her's and drive. That way if you need to shift gears all the time, you still will be holding her hand. The brilliantly set up HPS of these Fiat's will allow you to drive easily with just one hand.

It's time WE took off to Lonavala. A long drive with your partner next to you and her hands in yours. Music will be switched off and we will talk about anything and everything holding hands all the way to our destination because driving is so easy in the Punto.

That's one more thing the Punto made me realise yesterday. I realised that if you drive the Punto, romance increases in your life leaving you and your partner happier human beings.

Thank you Fiat!
  10. Beautifully carved out in words. You are a romantic !!