1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Grande Punto is non agile !!! ?

Discussion in 'Fiat Global News' started by Nandish, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

Just went through the review of new Swift on team BHP by a senior member. I was surprised to read a statement by an expert (Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/108510-maruti-swift-test-drive-review.html) "The steering feels direct, well-calibrated, and suits the car’s sporty intentions. That, combined to a tight chassis, makes the Swift feel incredibly agile. Agility that cars like the Punto & Vista can only dream about"

Well the literal meaning conveys that Punto is not an all rounder. Having stayed in UK for more than two years I have seen more Puntos than Swifts out there on roads. Apart from the long nose of Punto which takes around 5.5 mts to turn, there is nothing that is disappointing to me. ASS with Concorde Bangalore has been wonderful.

Is Punto really so non agile? Why is it so understated by Indian consumers both technically and sales wise.

Nandish
    Punto, 1.3 MJD Bosonova White 2010
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Nandish in this scenario there are 2 possibilities

1) senior member is getting paid to comment like this.
    2) Senior member from so called India no. 1 automotive group does not have any knowledge about cars.

Please let me know if this review is there on Facebook page of Team-BHP. As of now I am in office and unable to check Team-BHP.com and facebook.com :-(.
  3. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    given the hydraulic steering(heavier than ESP), longer wheelbase, length and weight of punto, its not as flickable as the LIGHTWEIGHT champ swift, I guess this is what they would be referring to as agile.
  4. Sorry Mate,

The FB has only link to the team-bhp page

Nandish
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  5. anoop

anoop Superiore

@nandish: calm down man - we know what our Puntos are and we appreciate the car for what it is. What ever review written in which ever site will not alter our love towards Punto :)
    But this does not mean that any other car cannot be better than Punto.

Remember that the comparison is between a brand new platform (in case of swift) and old one (in case of Punto). As and when new generations come out, each manufacturer will try to out do the competition.

Don't you see that even after all the R&D Suzuki have done, only on flick ability of the car Swift surpasses Punto. In the same review, you can read that swift is not as sure footed as Punto on high speed runs.

I totally agree with Phew - The light and fast EPS steering plays a lot and do you really want to trade the sweet HPS of our Punto? :)

At the end of the day, each car have its own plus and minus points. May be when FIAT upgrades grande punto, it will blow away the competition like it did when they introduced the car.
    1 person likes this.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I am waiting upgrades for Punto since last 6 months. I thought FIAT will launch new Punto.

I hope they showcase new Punto at Delhi Auto Expo 2012.
  7. I was not angry but just confused ;). Thanks Anoop and Phew for your answers. I hope they bring in an upgraded Punto soon. But I definitely want to see it take less space to turn :mrgreen:
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I was again surprised to see that the reviewer tells that Swift is better handler than Punto. According to the reviewer,

Handling : Swift
    Stability : Punto
    Ride quality : Punto
    Steering : Punto
    Gearshift : Swift
    Driveability / city use : Swift
    Space (and boot) : Punto

Link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ti-swift-test-drive-review-4.html#post2521596<HTTP: 108510-maruti-swift-test-drive-review-4.html#post2521596 official-new-car-reviews forum www.team-bhp.com>
  9. </http:>

This is where I was confused. Anyways as Anoop puts it, its a new car built on a new platform. Interesting to see now how the diesel engine will be received. The peppiness of DDIS has been lost and has been aligned to the MJD way of linear turbo.
  10. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If he had added punto in handelling too, the remaining members would have bashed him saying "punto fan" .It seems reviewer is well aware of his business.

on a second note , may be the new swift is good handler due to light chassis,15inch wheels and tighter suspensions,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.