1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat engines in Maruthi, are they installed as is? Needed opionins?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, Mar 31, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi All,

I'm curious to know if the MJD sold to maruthi is installed in every Maruti car without any physical mods to the engine as such?
    I mean has Maruthi got the rights to open the engine and modify its parts?

Also if you can guide me to any docs online that quote the above it would be great..

PS:: I've entered into a big debate and need some concrete proofs that's why :)
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Here you go mr.black. This article over here says that Suzuki has the licence to manufacture the engines in India. That is the MJD engine.

The article also carries some interesting perspectives;taste this one - “With so many companies using the engine across several models, it will only help the customer in terms of having a broader supply base and more people are familiar with how to repair it. So, it is a benefit in the long run, as it meets a broad variety of customer applications.”
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Has FIAT started supplying engines to Suzuki as per their deal ?

I don't think FIAT would be supplying complete engines. They'll be in the long-block form i reckon. Makes more sense.
  4. Nithrath

Nithrath Amatore

Hyderabad
    What is this long-block form mean?
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    @nithrath

Long block is the bare engine without accessories such as alternator , power steering pump, ac etc etc.

Just the bare fundamental engine.

For example :

long block.jpg

It makes sense to supply engine in the long-block form as Maruti in any case uses it's own accessories and engine covers, air intake routing, wiring harness etc etc.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Good knowledge gain.. thanks a lot guys
  8. prasen123

prasen123 Amatore

Pune
    Please see .. JTD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.. the engine is developed by Fiat/GM and Suzuki. Suzuki, to attract consumers, have tuned the engine to provide more mileage. I drove swift dezire (May 2012 make), and can easily experience the turbo punch is much lesser than Punto...