1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat CUV - Avventura - Launch in Oct'14, Booking Started

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

Why fret guys? The Punto IS coming with the t-jet early next year guys, as an Abarth, at 'desi' prices too!

Moreover we know from sales figures of the Polo and Vento tsi, and the Ecoboost Ecosport that engine potency doesn't matter enough for enough people. For the few that value it: they just go with a 'high-performance' lightweight Jap or Korean car instead, and/or they buy a diesel even if their running does not justify it! ;-) That is just the way of the Indian mass market, I am afraid!
    Himanshukumar likes this.
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The demand for TSI + DSG combo and Ecoboost is very much there. Just that these manufacturers are either not able to meet the demand or delivering these for the export market (in Ford's case). There is no other way for the 6 month long waiting period for the GT TSI.

By the way, the Punto in Abarth guys will be a lot more expensive than any of the Punto Evo/Avventura offerings currently and wont have the desi pricing ;)
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Though OT, but why you thing Punto Abarth won't have desi pricing? That is planned for localized version, but yes will not be in EVO or Avventura range.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Last OT post :)

The engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes and whole lot of other components will be imported and assembled here. So it would still carry some amount of import duty on the parts too. Putting all this together and the margins, it would cost at least 40-50% more from what I can guage.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    i.e., around Polo GT Tsi prices! A bit lower I bet, given that the engine will not be imported but will be the Linea's version of the T-jet (retuned?), and no DSG

More than the T-jet on the Punto or Avventura right now, what's required ASAP is the 1.6 mjd on the Linea (and the Abarth Punto?)! And, preferably, the DDCT twinclutch gearbox on the T-jet Linea too, EVEN if that bumps up the price a lot. And the Dualogic AMT on the diesel Linea and Punto.

Back on topic: the Avventura, more than the Evo or the new Linea, has the potential to at least address all those (the vast majority) who do not appreciate ride-handling-steering-build-braking as USPs. It has the USP of loud bold STYLE and quality by the bucketload, much more so than even the ravishing new Evo, i feel.
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    To me Avventura looks more killer, rugged, tough and monsterous than Evo, ofcourse Evo itself does not have any more that elegance, sexy cute bubbly look of the old Punto any more. Avventura is just 1 step more than Evo is. Added to this, the spare wheel on the back just looks like a hard rock climbers backpack :p
    Hope it just clicks.

On a side note, of all the vehicles displayed from others vendors (concepts) at Delhi Auto Expo did made to production line as is??
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I see the "Abarth" term being used very loosely here.

First : Abarth is not equal to T-Jet. Plonking a T-Jet in a Punto does not make it abarth.

Second : Abarth is a separate division altogether. The cars are completely different (suspension setup, gear ratios, ecu tune etc to name a few). The components are also different from a non-abarth car. It is not easy to localize those. I do not see an abarth coming at Indian prices and even if it comes it won't be a true abarth. It will be a "desi abarth" at a "desi price".

The real deal is not cheap and it should not be. Some things are better off not being cheap.
    J Ravi, acechip, bharath and 2 others like this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Interesting then to see the degree of 'desi'-fication (to coin an ugly but useful term! ;-) ) the Abarth Punto undergoes. IMO Abarths simply have no need to be THAT authentic in an 'emerging' market that has next to no history of high performance mass market cars.

In any case 'Abarth' is at least as much about the distinctive 'kit' (seats, inserts, badging etc) as it is about suspension components et al. The fantasy is as important as the reality! ;-) They should dilute (localize) as much of the engineering as they possibly can, IMO. And also consider an India-special Abarth Avventura too.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    So, where were we?

Yes, Avventura.

Cheers.
  10. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Let me make it simple.
    Be futuristic and build your own success story and dont try to imitate market leaders. As by the time imitation is completed and FIAT is trying to bring product into market, the innovative competitors have moved one step ahead.

When Linea and Punto launched in India, they where offering much better than what many market leaders where offering. Thats the only reason why many people have bought there cars (many of them has nothing to do with FIAT Fanism or legacy, all they wanted a better car with futuristic approach).

Mass public is interested in models that are succesfull in mass category they will not move out of there comfort zone to try something new. Its the enthusiasts who are major customer of niche market where FIAT is swimming. And is always challenging to keep enthusiasts happy. So they will be required to be cutting edge at least for next 5-10yrs. Once they got there brand recognized for being best offering, then getting into mass market will not be a bigger issue. But as of now trying to enter into mass market with existing platform with some decorations, will neither attract mass market not it would be satisfying fully the enthusiasts. So stuck in between means loss of image.

For many the aventura is more like a modified punto by an enthusiast. Not many would look it in line of EcoSports or for that matter Duster.
    We can appreciate the efforts company is putting into making a sporty punto. Probably it could be called as Punto Sports Edition, anything more than that is stretching to much with high expectations.
    J Ravi and ramjn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.