1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat CUV - Avventura - Launch in Oct'14, Booking Started

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    I was eagerly waiting for the Avventura and wanted it if it had the TJet engine it (yes, I still cannot get over the performance that my current TJet provides). I guess its an opportunity lost by Fiat. The looks should not have been the same as the Punto Evo and atleast the TJet should have been plonked into Avventura.

As far as Ford is concerned, Ford planned their revival in India with the Figo - a cheap car which provides great driver control. After that the Ecosport was introduced with a lot of advertising. In case of Fiat, the advertising is lacking. Also the price of Avventura even if kept competitive would appear to people as costly (hope that I am wrong and Fiat succeeds this time). As of today, Ford has taken the game further by opening its spares in the common market

Most of my colleagues and neighbors admire my TJet. Also, when they want to buy a car I do recommend them the TJet or any other Fiat - but none of them is even willing to walk into a Fiat showroom or call for a test drive. They end up buying a Maruti/Honda/Hyundai
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @speedJet: the 90 hp diesel has as much torque as the T-jet, its midrange is as strong, even stronger maybe! A few extra gearshifts is the only practical difference I feel. Unless you like to redline your T-jet!;-)
  3. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    The 90 hp misses on the revs of the petrol TJet. It cannot provide the acceleration from standstill that the TJet provides. To give you an example, on my recent trip on the GT highway there were many diesel Rapid's and Vento's which tried to overtake the TJet but seldom succeeded, even though the TJet was nowhere near the redline. It took them quite an effort to accelerate (especially from standstill) like the TJet. Even at high speeds they can match the TJet acceleration only if they are around the speed at which the TJet is cruising.So the 90 HP in my view cannot hold a candle to the TJet acceleration, unless the TJet is driven mildly. However, since I have not driven the 90 HP Punto (I had driven the 90 HP Linea and found it to be slow) it would be great if the 90 HP is indeed capable of the kind of acceleration that the TJet provided
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    You are right of course, the t-jet has much less lag and a wider powerband.

But do try out the Avventura 90 hp: you might be slightly surprised! I think the 90 hp is unjustly criticised, it's not as lustful as the t-jet obviously but makes for a good all-round strong yet efficient (esp highway) drive.

The larger point I was making is that Fiat not offering the t-jet on the Punto Evo and Avventura (for now) is no stupid thing in this market, 90 HP (petrol and diesel) would do nearly as well with the added fuel efficiency and costing bonus. That's just the way our market is, am afraid. For now. The Ford Ecoboost does not sell much at all on the Ecosport, for eg.

I do hope they launch an Abarth t-jet Avventura too, to go with the Abarth Punto next year. It'll sell a fair bit, imo, it'll just be too 'hot' not to!
    nkrishnap and Ravi like this.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It would have been a great option if T-Jet would have offered in at-least top version of Avventura. Since Fiat is planning to make it like semi-SUV, with class leading GC and SUV type look, anything more would have been a welcome change.
    Yes this is great engine, no doubt.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Tjet in Punto or Aventura would increase the cost atleast by 15-20% (Turbo, clutch, and so on...) that may destroy Fiat's market further.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Not necessarily true. From standstill : you are right. While rolling : the 90 HP MJD does pack a punch. I would not go to the extent of saying "cannot hold a candle".
    prabhjot and ramjn like this.
  8. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Few Good Advertisements in all channels before the launch will be a Iccing on the CAKE..
    prabhjot and zenwalker like this.
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Not true speedjet. For acceleration, yes Tjet scores. But, while on highway the car with a better driver can hold the candle. :)
    You should ask Sathya_sc who has owned both MJD and Tjet Linea. He will tell you what a MJD is capable of.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Of course the 1.5/1.6 mjd and t-jet would be better, but at a price. Would the already small addressable market for Fiat/VW be willing to plump up the extra dough? I very much doubt that. Which is why I think the decision to offer the T-jet on the Punto under the seperate, and obviously pricier, Abarth brand is the right one.

Not sticking to their announced plan from two years ago ('make the move') to offer the new Linea with the 1.6 mjd was very, very daft though! They were too defensive about pricing on the new Linea: they could easily, with some decent marketing, have gotten away with higher pricing for the bigger MJD on the Linea, I feel.

Anyway, the Avventura is very likeable, a very tempting proposition of good automotive values! I hope the car mags and webzines compare it fair and square against the Ecosport, rather than with the likes of the butt-ordinary Etios cross.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.