1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Chrysler India's new MD - Nagesh A. Basavanhalli - Now Quit

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by santhukp, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Jagan Mohan Reddy

Jagan Mohan Reddy Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet

Thanks for your info
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 24, 2014 ---

who will be the next coming MD for FIAT CHRYSLER in INDIA
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Read opening post on thread.
  3. Jagan Mohan Reddy

Jagan Mohan Reddy Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet

Mumbai: Nagesh Basavanhalli, managing director (MD) and president of Fiat Chrysler’s India’s operations, is set to quit the company, according to people familiar with the development. Basavanhalli joined the local arm of the Italian car maker in April 2013 from Chrysler LLC and was instrumental in re-establishing company’s India operations after the company parted ways with Tata Motors Ltd. He leaves the struggling arm of the car maker ahead of crucial launches including Jeep Grand Cherokee—the premium sports utility vehicle from Chrsysler and Abarth, the premium compact car from. Fiat. “As an expatriate, he is serving the third of his three-year term. Normally, expatriate postings are for a period of up to three years. There are, however, no hard and fast rules. He has been in India since 2007,” said a company spokesperson. Previously, as head of Chrysler India Automobiles Pvt. Ltd, Basavanhalli was responsible for Fiat and Chrysler’s APAC (Asia-Pacific) Technical Centre located in Chennai.

Read more at: http://www.livemint.com/Companies/B...h-Basavanhalli-to.html?utm_source=ref_article

not mentioned here name of the coming MD
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 24, 2014 ---

Pablo Rosso
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    First of all expatriate is considered of those NRI who are delegated to Indian firms to head some position. This happens in my company too where few germans delegate higher positions here for a term of 3 years minimum. But in this case Mr. Nagesh isnt NRI. More over, even if his term is over, he should be delegated to some other position than quitting the company. :eek:
  5. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    If it was Mr Nagesh Basavanhalli's decision not to get 1.6 M-Jet with facelift Linea, if it was his decision to launch Evo with Avventura looks ahead of Avventura, If it was his decision not to launch Avventura/Evo with T-Jet (in a nut-shell all three launches/facelifts failed miserably), IMO by quitting he has done good to Fiat India's future.

And if it is the other way round, i.e. he quit demanding focus on Indian operations, it may make Fiat headquarters think and take serious steps.
  6. avithe1

avithe1 Amatore

(Mira Rd) Thane.
    Thane
    Linea 1.3
    Sometime back I had exchanged a few mails with the Brand Manager @fiat. This person 7 days back sent out this mail.
    So the Brand Manager quits and after 7 days Mr. Nagesh quits (God knows quit or sacked) . Surely there's a lot of heat here.

fiat.png
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    thanks for that very useful info @avithe1. Fits in with what I've been speculating!:

Maybe this is a sign they're done with the 'consolidation' phase: new dealerships, re-launching of the brand and of already existing products? And are now 'gearing up' for the much more exciting and difficult phase through to 2016/17 starting with the Jeep launch, setting up Jeep assembly operations, new locally made engines, new 2016 launches etc.

Perhaps Manley felt the need for a better-at-sales-marketing-and-PR guy esp given the Jeep (and Abarth) branding exercises coming up?

I expect them to really ramp up marketing. And bet totally on Jeep for the next year or two.

But perhaps it's just a sign that they underestimated just how closed the Indian marketplace is/has become for Fiats (and Chevy-s, Nissan-s, Skoda-s, Renault-s, even VW-s) in favour of 2-3 Jap and Korean firms?

If so, perhaps they'll look to the sheer scale and expense of re-working/re-branding Tata has had to put in before sales recovery for them with the Zest and Bolt, begun by Karl Slym.
    dadasaheb likes this.
  8. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Yesterday, one of the guys at a dealer in chennai told me that they are ramping up and things will be very different in two months. Keeping fingers crossed as he didnt say anything more on that.

Abdul
  9. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    nothing is going to change. turn around time for FIAT was always 1.5 to 2 times than the other players. not much expected.
  10. acechip

acechip Superiore

It appears to me that Mr Basavanahalli's pleas to Fiat Chrysler Inc may have fallen on deaf ears. This is the 3rd CEO for Fiat India to quit in approximately 5 years ?? What kind of direction would the company provide to its stakeholders (us included) ?
    This will only further strengthen the case for Fiat to continue the Tata JV and concentrate on being a component maker.
    dadasaheb likes this.