1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Chrysler India's new MD - Nagesh A. Basavanhalli - Now Quit

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by santhukp, Apr 2, 2013.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Mr. Nagesh exits FIAL or FCL India

In what seems to be a sudden move, Nagesh Basavanhalli, president and managing director of Fiat Chrysler India, has quit the company. This move comes at a time when Fiat is executing its comeback strategy in India. Basavanhalli was appointed the chief of Fiat Chrysler's India operations on April 1, 2013. It is learnt that Pablo Rosso, current head of Fiat Chrysler in South Korea, will take over as the interim head of Fiat Chrysler India in January 2015.

Source - http://www.autocarpro.in/news-national/scoop-nagesh-basavanhalli-exits-fiat-india-7183
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    How many of us feel that the blame if to be shared should be more on the parent company than the local leadership? And will the new leadership improve or why should it be different, if anyone knows better?
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Allow me to take a bit different perspective. I am not a long lasting member and follower of FIAT, but since the days i am following them i.e Enrico's time onwards, where he did quite a bit of changes into FIAL. Things did turn at FIAL, things did improve. Faster or steady pace? I am not sure. But it did change. But i did not feel that after Nagesh came into picture. I remember many people resenting towards the movement of Mr. Enrico news. I some where feel that Mr. Nagesh could not or did not bring a dimension shift to the FIAL which was needed Mr. Enrico had already created around 80+ dealership across the country. The new Linea was a big failure. Evo is yet to shine and so is Avvy. Fingers crossed.

Yes on the other hand, its not just with the MD the matter is to be worried upon. There could be a bigger problem as a company wide. So i shall concur on your point too :)
    asimpleson, prabhjot and ramjn like this.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Was he sacked? If so, then at least it suggests that Sergio Marchionne's not impressed by results of the whole 'brand relaunch' exercise. It also suggests that, contrary to what one often hears, FiatChrysler DOES regard India own-brand-sales-and-management very seriously, and is not just content with the Tata JV and the Maruti revenues.

No insinuation as to Nagesh's abilities, though: it was a tough job in a very very tough marketplace, and he wasn't even a sales-marketing guy at all (head of Chrysler-Jeep's r&d centre, an engineer basically, wasn't he?)

They have to show much more financial backing for branding and marketing in 2015, they CANNOT compete for public attention and affection here (which is in very short supply for all non-M/HY/H/T car firms) on a tight marketing budget! They MUST back up the new ceo with bigger marketing budgets.
    asimpleson likes this.
  5. gopscreative

gopscreative Amatore

It was bound to happen!! For all folks who kept insisting that even FIAT with very less sales on its cars division and making huge revenues as OEM Engine supplier(No offense intended!!), this should give them a clear sight about the pressure FIAT India is going through. They are definitely feeling the heat.Although people do comment about Nagesh's inability in having free hand at taking decisions, FIAT india failed in excessive marketing and advertising which was directly linked to MD.I hope they take Indian market seriously and come out with steps which members have been shouting without a pause in this forum.
    If they don't take bold steps now, then very soon FIAT cars may be classic Vintage in India!!
    asimpleson likes this.
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Apologies for mentioning the earlier CEO name wrong. Not Enrico, but Sergio ;) Thanks @prabhjot.

We are not sure as to the reason of his departure. Probably the intention to put him as the man of in charge is to hit 2 birds in 1 stone idea. He was a head of R&D of Chrysler, which also means that he needs to develop idea and bring them into reality which is not only cost effective, usable but also to shine in the market; something like best of both worlds - An engineer yet mastered in marketing and sales too. So i presume his role in the past and was afterwards is to do the same. Like these days, the CFO's are put incharge as CEO's to not only be a game changer in the market for the firm but also to be more cost effective.
    asimpleson, dadasaheb and prabhjot like this.
  7. Dilip patel

Dilip patel Amatore

Hope new MD will design new track for fiat.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hope this means they're now planning to step up a further gear or two on: (a) marketing quality (b) variants of India-made engines (t-jet on evo and avventura, bigger diesel on Linea) and amt gearbox etc (c) the Jeep launch (d) marketing quantity (e) accelerated timelines for the new 2016/17 Fiat- and Jeep-brand launch(es).

Marchionne (Manley, in this case?) has sacked a few senior FiatChrysler executives recently for unsatisfactory performance, Nagesh being the latest (IF this is a sacking?). In a company that has been doing consistently well/better, especially with new products, esp in the US market, in marketing/branding globally, and financially too (share prices up a lot over the last few months).

That SHOULD signal greater intent, some impatience, greater ambition, a higher bar? Does it in this case?

Hope it does not signify a go-slow on all these fronts, while new leadership is awaited, though! This is a very tough marketplace for Fiat (and several others) as it is...
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    mangeshtendulkar likes this.
  9. gazgotta

gazgotta Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Namma Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Recent market response was not encouraging rather, very very disappointing for FIAT India:banghead:. Even after launching back-to-back models in Y2014 which are <INDIA Specific> this is not on expected lines for sales figures and FIAT Management should be very very concerned on Market strategy and responses. You design and launch India specific models and they doesn't do well in Indian market itself :banghead:

1. Avvy catered/designed for INDIA specific model - muted sales charts:(.
    2. Punto Evo designed INDIA specific model - muted sales charts - I20 designed as a global facelift selling 10K+/montho_O in Indian market, whether it is product/strategy/brand something is not working for you, and you need to FIX that sooner.
    3. New Linea after recent facelift , struggling to cross 150 mark , started heavy discounts:eek: .

Wondering on how this will impact,

# Near term FIAT strategies/models - I guess there will be some definite changes coming in
    # Long term impacts - with JEEP,Abarth launches(expected) lined up there will be some changes :asshat:
    # FASS/dealerships build up definitely needs some FIX in Indian perception which is hurting FIAT terribly.
    # This 2 Product Strategy (Punto,Linea) in 5-10L segment from so many years now is not going anywhere , seriously.
    # FIAT will face terrible heat from aggressive product designing/marketing/planning from competitors. I guess Hyundai will make the
    equation very complicated with its aggressive products coming in , I20 Cross, IX25 and it has mentioned that it will look in SUV segment soon.
    # Does FIAT really want to consider India as a serious market and FIX the issues , then you better make ppl believe it.
    # FIAT needs to think how to change ppl perception and marketing products , and how it will deal with its competitors.

Bumpy ride ahead :bag:
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  10. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Fiat Enthusiast
    2015 is going to be the year of SUV in India.
    Make no doubt about it.Mahindra,Honda are the others apart from the Hyundai who are going to launch in these categories.
    Not to forget Maruthi the recent surge in Celerio and Ciaz,Suzuki is turning all the attention over here.
    Honda miserably messed up by delaying Jazz launch fearing it might cannibalise Amaze, they were taught a lesson by Zest and Xcent.
    In fact they have to learn from Koreans how they can sell Jazz and Amaze, as Hyundai has been successful in selling I20 elite and Xcent.
    Not forget our own Tata with Nexon and if GM is game enough they should bring in their Taigun.
    A terrifying thought:( if you are going to head Fiat India...
    What I don't understand is they have so many models in Brazil and so many variants, what is preventing them to try out few over here?
    Honestly apart from being die hard Fiat fan,
    I feel the Avvy is overpriced and when the assault of other SUV's takes place, I am sure even Ecosport will run for cover,
    Mjd Avvy emotion if it had been launched say @ 8.5 ,I am sure by now we would have given sleepless night for Ford.
    Consider this! almost all companies in India launch popular models at a competitive price and scale up once they have got chunk of the market share...
    Fiat, launch at Premium price and give steep discount to the dismay of earlier die hard fiatians....:mad::banhappy::banghead: