1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @asimpleson : True, but Fiat atleast gave it a more relevant name. And I won't be climbing pavements anymore even though I know the car can do it. Must be the larger wheels and especially the higher GC. I have taken it over a stretch of freshly broken cement road too. Not even one scrape. I just let the clutch go without accelerating. The suspensions are so good. No other car driver dared to go over this stretch and they were waiting to go on the side patiently. But the Avvy did it comfortably. There is of course the risk that I might shred the tyres. But hey, when the car is so capable, might as well shred the tyres and put a better set on and have even more fun. After all, how many times in our lives do we really enjoy our cars. I cannot shell down 50 lakhs on a Range Rover. But for <10 lakhs, this is all the driving fun I need.
  2. kgramesh

kgramesh Amatore

Palakkad, KL
    Linea T-Jet
    This is one question that comes to my mind when people cry for Avvy T jet or punto T jet for more performance. When evaluated , both give similar performance. In fact multijet is more fun on highways if I'm right. But multijet is always talked about as under powered and T jet as the performance engine.
    prabhjot and amitshedha like this.
  3. acechip

acechip Superiore

Its more about having a T jet Avvy over a 1.4NA Avvy.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    That is what is often termed as a better gearbox and/or better tuning need for the multijet. What it needs are perhaps twin turbos instead of just the one given VGTurbo for a boost in a wider powerband. Never mind the design complexity and a not-so-major cost increase, it could have been easily and happily absorbed by the customer.
    kgramesh likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @kgramesh

you're very right, though to be fair the t-jet is much better in the city: fewer gear (down)shifts needed, and has a much wider torque band, and 'better' gearing? But yeah, on open roads the mjd easily matches it. Which is probably why Fiat never launched it on the Avventura and the Evo (yet). In our diesel-biased marketplace, unless the petrol engine's very much cheaper than the diesel, folks just buy the diesel, in Fiat's case the mjd, since the diesel performs quite as well. So Fiat were probably right hold back on the t-jet, though now with much lower petrol prices....?
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 2, 2015 ---
    @kgramesh

you're very right, though to be fair the t-jet is much better in the city: fewer gear (down)shifts needed, and has a much wider torque band, and 'better' gearing? But yeah, on open roads the mjd easily matches it. Which is probably why Fiat never launched it on the Avventura and the Evo (yet). In our diesel-biased marketplace, unless the petrol engine's very much cheaper than the diesel, folks just buy the diesel, in Fiat's case the mjd, since the diesel performs quite as well. So Fiat were probably right hold back on the t-jet, though now with much lower petrol prices....?
    kgramesh and acechip like this.
  6. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @SOOZ_P The T-jet please. I will never agree that the MJD remotely compares to the T-jet but that is just me. I have a Punto EVO that uses the MJD (75 BHP) and I find it quite brilliant for my sedate kind of driving (5th gear at around 90kmph).

However, for that sudden rush - the T-jet (caveat - I have only test driven it and not extensively) rules.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 2, 2015 ---
    @prabhjot The selling part - well even the T-jet hardly sells is it a bad engine or a good engine? :)
    The Ecoboost has won the International Engine of the Year 3 times in a row. Hardly makes a case for calling it dubious.

As I keep saying I try not to be a fanboi for anything - it is better if we use reasonable arguments in this forum no?
    acechip likes this.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

Boss, sample the Ecoboost first, and then let's discuss. Read up some more on the 1 litre Ecoboost, you need greater depth before you earn the right to use labels like 'fanboi'.

Sample the 1.2 and 1.4 Fire too, which you often denigrate, and let's discuss if and how these engines are inadequate relative to what the competition offers in the i20 or the Polo.

It is dubious for the price it sells at, given that the t-jet is so much cheaper (on the Linea), let alone the VW TSi or the upcoming 120 bhp Tata Revotron. It has truly awful, wide turbolag, and is painful to drive in the city! It is a great engine for emissions and fuel efficiency in EuroAmerican conditions, which is what earned it the award. It is not a hit engine in 1 litre form even in Europe, in fact most people there find its real world performance including mileage to be poor (judging from internet discussions by owners on UK auto fora.)

Same story with the Fiat TwinAir, another Engine of the year winner: bad driveability, lower-than-claimed real-world fuel efficiency, too expensive. Which is why Fiat never even considered launching that 'brilliant' engine here, proceeding with the cheaper and plain better though less bleeding-edge t-jet 1.4.

Ford knows it, which is why they are not making it here, and are not (going to) offer it on the Fiesta, the or the new Figo sedan/hatch. The engine just is not good enough to sell at all in a turbo-diesel market like India, that's how bad its driveability, real-world fuel efficiency and cost is.

The Avventura t-jet, when it comes, on the other hand, will not add much to sales figures, but that will not be because of the engine or cost! To the contrary! :p
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  8. acechip

acechip Superiore

Now, then, gents, lets not argue ! Its that time of the month anyway, and so lets reserve our "thoughts" for the moment when the data is made available:nailbiting:.

I always thought (based on others accounts ) that the 1.6 Duratec engine was really the pick of the engines offered by Ford India currently. Quite comparable to the T-Jet in terms of performance (particularly in-gear acceleration)
  9. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @acechip We both can guess the numbers what say :)

@prabhjot We probably stay in different worlds so I will let it be but you must be one of the few ones who think that a (67/96) power/torque engine is so much better than the(82/115) of it's competitors.

I will stay clear of arguments but my advice to the OP would remain the same. His money - his friend.
  10. Arun Prasad

Arun Prasad Timido

hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Hi Fiatians,
    Happy to join the club !!!
    Booked Avvy Emotion @ AV Motors-HYD. Delivery scheduled on 08-04-15.