1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Then there is the matter of the pricing. I think its almost a 2 lakh difference for the top end diesel versions with airbags.
    asimpleson and prabhjot like this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    ...And quality of materials and fitments: aluminium roofrails, spare tyre cover, bumper cladding, head- and tail-light assemblies+detailing, art leather seat material, even on-dash plastics, and of course the alloys= big advantage Avventura.

A big factor to consider, too: the Ecosport has NO effective rear-end protection at all, since its rear bumper has been minimised down to the vertical plane of the tail-gate itself, in order to come in under 4m. Even minor rear-endings (so common in India) will result therefore in pretty severe and expensive damage to not just the bumper but to the tailgate itself, which extends down, too low, as if it were a parcel-van.
  3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    This is not something for the new buyer. Infact this applies to all car buyers. For this you need to consider how many hours you are going spend in the car?

I have asked Micra sales engineer about the same & in return I got the reply like 2-3 hours max otherwise you will be having knee pain. FYI my height is 5.11

So the seating arrangement is not having issue, the seats are not having any thigh support. Which a buyer needs to identify.

Moral of the story....

Do not buy a car where you need to adjust.
    Buy a car where all the things are adjusted.
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @SOOZ_P is he looking at the diesel or the petrol? The Ecoboost is like a million times better than the Fiat 1.4. The power figures do not even compare.

Also, what is it about the 2 lakhs difference. If you compare the base version of the Ecosport with the Avventura the difference ex showroom is around 60 to 70k.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

This Ecoboost engine is VERY expensive, and of dubious merit, since it costs more than the diesel Avventura, i believe: it has terrible and wide turbolag, which is natural given how small its displacement is, and how big its turbo-charging is. It hardly sells, btw. How could it in a turbodiesel-based market?

Hence the absurdity, it is now clear, of Fiat not offering the MUCH better, and much cheaper, t-jet 1.4 on the Avventura at launch. Sigh. The Ecosport petrol that sells (1.5 litre?) is well-matched by the 1.4 Fire it seems on paper (i have the 1.4 Fire on a family Linea, and haven't driven the Ford petrol: disclaimer)

The base Ecosport is just....'base': thinner tyres, steel wheels (i beleive?), no spare wheel cover, while the Avventura gets the same-as-emotion-trim alloys, 16 inchers 205 mm section, and that terrific wheel cover (mechanism).

The 90 hp mjd has the Ecosport's 1.5 diesel beat hollow for performance (20 to 60, 40 to 100), for refinement, now with less turbolag too. (Autocar official comparo test figures). And of course for cost.

When one considers its much worse ride and also steering relative to the Avventura...it's quite a no-brainer, like with all the Indian Fiats: the Avventura is worth SO much more than it costs, while the Ecosport, like the Duster, let alone the funny-car (i20 Active), is worth a good deal less.
  6. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

BANGALORE
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    He is looking for diesel. Yesterday he took test drive of ecosport, he felt ecosport top version is comparable with Avventura in terms of comfortable. The mid varient really lacks so many features even airbag is not there in a vehicle which costs 10 lakhs. It's definitely overpriced compared to what it offers.

Now, he is getting lot of pressure from home not to choose Avvy because of his health issues. So the hunt began for linea. He is so so impressed with my punto that he wants only fiat. So query is tjet or multijet? Will Test drive soon and update.
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

So from Avvy to Linea now. T Jet or Multijet? A more appropriate question is, whats his poison? Petrol or diesel ? Because if driven properly, there is really not much difference between the two. The T-Jet may have a (marginal) edge when it comes to braking performance because of all-disc brakes. And there is about 5mm additional ground clearance (190mm) on the T-Jet.

@simpleson, to your comment that Avventura can do moderate offroading, I feel that there may be issues. Just to bring in the distinction between "bad" roading and "off roading". Offroading , at the very least, requires higher profile tyres, and preferably A/T ones, whereas Avventura gets low profile, highway cruising 16/55/205 types. The GC will help, but the front tyres will almost always spin and squeal upon encountering surfaces other than broken road/tarmac.
    The Avventura will suffer from premature tyre wear if used on offroading duties on regular basis, and perhaps alloy wheel wear and tear too.
    Even the XUV, IMO cannot really handle offroading other than going tothe dirt/broken road near a scenic spot adjacent to the tarmac, to take a beautiful picture.
    The Duster AWD I am told, does this decently well, on dirt/slush/wet roads although it is best left to the dedicated 4WDs with dedicated suspension/differentials hardware to do the true offroading jobs.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes @acechip, that's what I mean by 'within constraints'. It is of-course not a serious off-roading vehicle, like the ones that can pull their weight through sand dunes. What I mean is something similar, partly to what the XUV could do. Definitely with the lack of differential lock or limited slip etc. there will be challenges for those trying to test it on all-terrain conditions. But the coils on it looks beefed up and of-course the stance and GC could mean a little bit of challenge could be undertaken without damaging the under-body. :)

See the Panda AWD video and how capable it is within its design and form and can manage to pull-off feats compared to some serious (expensive) muscle from the likes of Land Rover and Mercedes. The Avventura could have been designed to manage those things in similar manner. It is however a 'contemporary urban vehicle' :D
  9. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    That Panda AWD video was very sweet. Light weight, nifty driving and its ability to tuck into small spaces, it beat the Land Rover. The Avventura could have been designed to do those things too but it would have driven the price above 10 lakhs easily. That would further hurt sales in India. Besides, have you seen even one Range Rover Evoque being used for offroading in India? We use our serious AWD cars only to transport decorated brides and grooms to weddings or to go to the mall. We would never dare dent or hurt the car in any way.

But the Avventura is truly a CUV. I was berated by my wife for climbing a pavement. The entrance to the parking lot was blocked by two chatty people on 2 bikes. I was in no mood to honk and saw that the pavement was a "possible" challenge. I gingerly put the two front wheels above the pavement to the wide eyes of pedestrians and the glare of my wife. But the car just went up effortlessly and no underbody scratching either! I was very surprised and the security guards thought I was nuts. Well, I was. Now, I dare anyone else to do this on an Ecosport or the super active i20. :angelic:

Disclaimer: The above paragraph described a procedure risky to most cars. Please do so at your own peril. Don't say I didn't warn you. Buwuhahahaha.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Vidhyashankar Kannan from your description looks like it needs rechristening to UUV or CUUV...(Urban Utility Vehicle.) :D