1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. acechip

acechip Superiore

Duster more so than the Avventura, I might add, only because it has independent rear suspension, higher profile tyres , powerful engine options and an AWD version with ESP/ASR.
  2. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @prabhjot

Hyundai has managed to get its Midas touch in India. almost every product that they have launched, is selling. The i20 was not accepted initially as it was deemed to be too expensive for a hatchback, but everytime they experimented, they followed it up with excellent marketing. They loaded up the freebies and accessories and did their market research at the ground level to offer something exactly tailor made for the Indian mindset. The Santro sold in bucketloads even after they stopped production. It was not a great car. But it offered something for the masses. A decent tall boy design. The first generation Santro actually had the face of a rodent. Did not matter. People drove it and loved it. It was trouble free and niggle free. People consider a visit to the service centre as a failure. Hyundai ensured that did not happen with just some decent rooted engineering.

One needs to give credit to Fiat for their willingness to experiment from the ground level when they released new models. They worked from the bottom all the way to the top to ensure that the automobiles actually addressed the segment. But alas, the Indian mindset is more for show than functionality. Look at Hero Motors, they have a Splendor, Splendor+, Passion, Passion Pro, Passion Pro+. All 5 models have exactly the same engine and the same chassis. Hero changed the decals and stickering and fairings on these models from time to time and used the word "New" each time. And people went out and bought their "new" model bikes. Understanding that mindset is all that Fiat needed to do to get a toehold. But their holier-than-thou attitude and refusal to get off the throne is what actually dethroned them. The Rover was a car that came before its time to India. And flopped. But it was a superb car. Fiat brought out their cars either a little late or just introduced them without any fanfare. No importance given to the customer especially in a country where we love to showoff our "new" model cars.

Like you say and we all know by now, Fiat better learn to play dirty. Plagiarism in India is not considered illegal, yet. Its very hard to prove. The i20 Active's alloy wheels have nearly the same design as the Avventura's, a near carbon copy. They have lifted bits and pieces and put together a car just to fill in the segment. Hyundai know that the i20 Active will sell. They have declared a target of 30000 per month but internally, I am sure they know that any sale is enough to keep going. The i20 and the i20 Active share common components and a platform.

Regarding the journalist comments, Hyundai has a much larger budget to spend on reviews than Fiat. And Fiat still believes that they can make sales happen by being quiet and bringing out relevant cars. Like the omnipresent Kanchipuram Silk Sarees which cost a bomb and worn only once or twice, Fiat needs to understand this mindset and push their products to create exclusivity. But all of us on this forum can only pray within knowing that it is a lost cause.

Fiat needs to push its products harder and most importantly, exorcise the service ghosts of its past.
    Krishna K, prabhjot and dadasaheb like this.
  3. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    Did you guys notice that the i20 Active has taken almost all design cues from the avventura concept ,which fiat has ditched in its production version??

that being the
    1 Projectors and DRLs
    2 Orange highlights in the interiors and seats

aren't these two factors the most appealing to the Indian mass market

are adding these two things a big deal to the avventura??
    I don't think so especially with the projectors..... fiat threw away, hyundai picked it up and is now a HIT (im sure it will be one).
    prabhjot, acechip and dadasaheb like this.
  4. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    but all this comes over Avvy at a price premium of at least 3 lakhs.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 24, 2015 ---
    but all this comes over Avvy at a price premium of at least 3 lakhs.
    acechip likes this.
  5. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    Atleast they should create a hype like,it's some kickass premium model and as if one does not have a fiat it would be a shame.
    i really want to see advertisements like that
  6. acechip

acechip Superiore

Ok, the price differential between top-end Avvy and top-end Duster (RXZ AWD) is over 6.5 lacs in Pune. Just to be more accurate.
    So the premium is questionable, no doubt. The AWD/ESP/ASR and independent rear suspension are atleast 2 lacs more worth paying for. The rest is the brand premium that Duster enjoys ( not Renault per-se).
    And I really dont think any of the upcoming products from Maruti or Hyundai stable will affect that. Because Duster has that kind of raw, rough appeal (aka Mahindras) that Maruti/Hyundai will never be able to bring in with their S-Cross/IX-25. Renault will of course, have to climb down from their high horses a bit, but I dont think their sales will plummet.
    prabhjot and kgramesh like this.
  7. Drive4freedom

Drive4freedom Novizio

Bangalore
    The making of avventura ad!!
  8. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    That was a entertaining video! Thanks for sharing:)
    Ot- Is the city shown Warsaw or Kraków ?
  9. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    My friend, @SrinivasD has joined teamfiat. He will be sharing his experiences with his new Avvy.
    sandipan_r15, SOOZ_P and prabhjot like this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Just encountered the strange review of the i20 Active on the 'Car and Bike Show', curated by the insufferably glib and smart-alec-y Sidharth Patankar.

A couple of PR-for-Hyundai gems, specifically targetting the Avventura:

First the reviewer says most people find the Avventura better looking but he 'prefers' the i20 Active.

Second, get this, he says the Avventura's handling was terribly affected by the increased GC, which is not so with the i20 Active, except that he himself points out earlier in the show that the Avventura has 15m of GC more than the i20 Active. But most tellingly, their review of the Avventura was full of praise for its ride and handling, so...?!

It's obvious that just like Autocar did a PR-job for the Ecosport vis-a-vis the Avventura, here this car show is trying to pretend that Hyundai-s actually don't have a seriously deficient ride-handling-steering setup at all, in which case they are the world's best cars, flatteringly available for India's aspirational upwardly-mobile ones, who out of gratitude must buy them in droves at a price premium at that!

That Ford and Toyota started advertising their Ecosport (Ford' ad explicitly used the tagline 'Adventure', unseen on any Ford ad earlier) and Cross right after the Avventura started accumulating huge eyeballs with their youtube videos, which they had not bothered doing the whole year till then, that Hyundai has copy-catted Fiat's special-for-India strategy and even several styling elements with/from the Avventura (orange inserts, the alloy design...to go with the stolen from Alfa Romeo tail lamps)....

only shows that Fiat's marketing and product specifications/idea for the Avventura were pretty damn good, contrary to many people's views here on the Avventura. Why else would one of the dominant firms, Hyundai, copycat it, from concept to timing to design to advertising pitch?

Clearly then the Avventura's weak sales, take-off-that-never-happened, have more to do with the 'Fiat' brand itself, per se, in our wider marketplace and not the product-idea, its positioning, its design, engines, pricing, marketing, etc.

Yes, the timing was badly off: it should've come BEFORE the Evo, which would've made the latter's adoption of the Avventura's front end styling acceptable, rather than the other way around. And they were too timid with pricing: why not the AutoExpo concept projector headlamps? Or the t-jet at launch itself rather than in June-Aug this year, given crashed petrol prices?

Not for the first time Fiat has shown the ability to fail to avail sales benefits from their innovative market interventions (Uno? Palio 1.6? Linea t-jet?)