1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    A great fact also that they provide more better "material" and tech and better design where it matters, if not best features. Like you said many will not realise what good cars should be like unless they drive Fiats or maybe if they have driven extensively the likes of Bimmers and such. That is not to compare them directly :), but the feel and overall control of the vehicle is better and confidence-inspiring. And while it will be continued to be bashed for some QC or lack of features and such, overall it does not feel a cheap car to drive. The cars have always felt different since UPS days.
    This 'brand' historically has been shunned for various reasons across the globe. Lets just hope that this forum atleast could help strike the balance needed to clearly acknowledge what good is to be offered by the 'brand' and criticize constructively rather than painting a dark picture where it does not need to be. Those who have had the fortune to own and drive more than one car or most cars of this brand should know better how they have been better in some very crucial aspects of material, design and engineering. There is bound to be a disconnect in the perception of 'value' and 'priority' amongst fellow TFIans.
  2. Pr@bhunav

Pr@bhunav Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @acechip: I have not got a chance to drive Renault Duster (any variant), so I cannot compare the suspension set up of Avvy with that. But I can say confidently, at reasonably high speeds u ll definitely get the WoooooooooooooooooW feel, the way the pot holes are consumed. I , along with my friends, have tested it on a stretch of mud road with continuous and uneven bumps. At higher speeds the suspension is at its bit. But at low speeds,in my opinion, there is no doubt the suspension is stiff - which is accepted and explained by FIAT dealers as well. City speed breakers, where we may have to slow down to a speed of around 10-20 kmph, the bumpy feel is evident, as compared to other vehicles. But, that can be handled by handling the vehicle in a slightly different way, which any one can - after knowing the vehicles behaviour.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 13, 2015 ---
    I COmpletely agree with you @asimpleson.
    As mentioned in one of my earliear posts I had chosen and fell in love with Fiat Punto based on my experience and not on any predetermined perceptions of a brand or advertisement effect. I got a chance to drive 4 brands (Hyndai i10/20, Maruti Suzuki dezire, Fiat Grande Punto, Chevrolet Beat) for reasonable duration (not just test drive). At that time I never had any idea of speciality of any Car Brand, jargon etc. But the immediate difference I could feel - w.r.t Drivability, the confident inspiring control, Awesooooooome steering , Heavy build .. is something which kept Punto in a different section than the rest. When I drove FIGO and VW Polo TDI, w.r.t driving dynamics (not on engine response/power delivery), I felt that they can come a little closer to FIAT Punto..but still the Punto was the best for me. However, so far in the hatch segment the power delivery and engine response was best with VW New POLO 1.5 TDI.

As mentioned by @asmipleson, I agree that QC and Fit/Finish are the areas which require improvement for FIATs, though Avvy seem to be better as compared to earlier vehicles of FIAT (not other brands) in this section.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

The car you like so much is an instance, an 'instantiation' of the brand NOT the other way around.
    i.e., in loving your car you are loving the brand, albeit unknowingly it seems!;)

Ever wondered why this level of build and design and engineering depth and all-rounded-ness is offered by Fiat alone (maybe by the new Tata cars too?) and not even by always by Ford (the Ecosport compromises on its suspension and steering, quality and materials) or Renault (the Duster compromises on materials and build quality) let alone the Japanese and Korean.....

....that comes from having a brand identity/history/DNA. Character, Personality! Exemplified for now by the content-matches-charismatic-form Avventura.

The slippage vis-a-vis the new bigger, better bikes in your post is right! Nothing can beat a good bike or even scooter in the city or even the highway or rough roads for fun, feel, experiential richness, and often even comfort.

Fiat-s, and especially the Avventura, come closest to that feel among mass market cars IMO, alongwith Fords, with a degree of safety added, of course.

Hope the mass car market opens-up towards more character-ful, even eccentric (engineering AND design) models just like the bike market has. But the Avventura's sales figures (and the sure success of the i20 cross 'kitsch-di') leave one pessimistic.

As for me: I am increasingly inclined to hold on to my Linea t-jet forever...and buy interesting new scooters/motorbikes instead over many years. The best of both cars and 2-wheelers, at affordable, desi costs, no?:cool::cigar:
  4. acechip

acechip Superiore

Hmm. I would have thought Fiat could have tried (within their engineering parameters) to strike a balance between low speed ride comfort and high speed ride control. The reason why I ask you is this. My mom (particularly) has always 'complained' that the Linea feels best in the rear seat when fully loaded, but is rather too taut otherwise. Of course, she appreciates the high speed manners, but thats more of a driver related parameter than a passenger related one isnt it ? (especially a passenger in her 60s).
    OTOH, she and my father absolutely loved the Duster in the way it behaved on bad roads and the overall seat comfort, in a ride in one of their friends car.
    I also loved the ride , especially the AWD version with independent rear suspension. High speed handling was also decent, aided by ESP.
    I really wish Fiat would have given the Avvy some more space , power and features.
    prabhjot, Pr@bhunav and asimpleson like this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip

An independent rear suspension is something else, at a huge price of course. The 500X and Jeep renegade have all independent suspensions, front and rear, but the 500L, like the Avventura, has a torsion beam-based one in the rear.

I do disagree about road manners/handling being about driving pleasure primarily. In fact they are equally or more about safety (in sudden emergency steering and/or braking input) and passenger comfort. My mother used to ALWAYS feel nauseous and 'pukish' on long drives in My dad's old 118NE (another beautiful old Fiat, the most ride comfort any car could have, but loose-ish handling) and on his old Civic, especially in the hills above Chandigarh. But she NEVER did on my Palio Stile or his Linea (Civic replacement) or now on the Punto or my t-jet. Tight handling is essential for passenger comfort, since passengers face less lateral G-s, no?!
  6. acechip

acechip Superiore

@prabhjot, tight handling is indeed important for passenger comfort. But here's the thing. Given my mother's condition (she wears a collar due to neck issues during drives), I dont whip the car around the corners at high speed anyways (>70kph).

My dad has a more interesting analogy. He feels that Fiat Linea is more like sitting in a Boeing 737 (classic/NG) taut, sporty and solid feeling (esp in turbulence) . Whereas my earlier Dzire or the current Micra feels like an Airbus A320, smooth in terms of NVH, but kind of wiggly and jelly like in turbulence.

So, I have thought for quite some time how on earth Renault managed such a good suspension design in an otherwise ordinarily built car like the Duster.
    Incidentally the family of a colleague of mine used to hate the Linea (he bought it in 2009) for that ultra-tightness. Made them woozy and disoriented in the back seat . What say now ?

I plan to take a test drive of the Avventura (for the heck of it) and see how it feels.
    Dr Nitin Dutta likes this.
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

@acechip , if your linea is feeling taut at low speeds, then it is the GC suspension to blame . the old one was supple at all speeds and was very enjoyable. @ramjn felt the same when he switched over to new GC and because of the same reason promptly switched back.
    . Even the new evo feels the same, but with load it was amazing and recently made a few of my bottled friends affirm that they felt the suspension was good and so was the pulling.

Abdul
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 14, 2015 ---

@acechip , if your linea is feeling taut at low speeds, then it is the GC suspension to blame . the old one was supple at all speeds and was very enjoyable. @ramjn felt the same when he switched over to new GC and because of the same reason promptly switched back.
    . Even the new evo feels the same, but with load it was amazing and recently made a few of my bottled friends affirm that they felt the suspension was good and so was the pulling.

Abdul
  8. acechip

acechip Superiore

@jumu, mine is the old one ( 2011 T-Jet) . And it has always been taut actually, and very rarely sags even under full load. I dont think I want to change the suspension because I like the firmness. I dont mind taking corners at high speeds, but then I am the driver so cant really feel the way my passengers feel.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip

I suspect you will find th Avventura's ride to be more supple/less taut than your Linea's. I certainly find my 2014 t-jet to be notably so relative to my father's 2009 Lina Fire 1.4, except at quite-slower speeds.

The Dacia/Renault Logan is the maa and th baap of the Duster. It always had a great ride and good handling, and so does the Duster. The latter is quite light/flimsily built, and so handling g-forces (linear or lateral) are lower, and so the Duster requires less basic stiffness in the suspension in order to achieve its decent handling, which means its ride (in this case, slow speed, unloaded) can be tuned to be excellent, since given track dimensions and chassis rigidity, ride and handling are contradictory.

The Punto/Avventura/Linea are heavy and built tough (almost as tough as a Volvo or Mercedes!) and so for the same reasons need greater stiffness?

The mess Ford has made with the Ecosport's (a fairly heavy car for its size) horrid-for-a-tall-crossover suspension just reveals the FANTASTIC suspension and chassis engineering Fiat have deployed/achieved on th Avventura et al. and that despite heaviness and the high GC. I wonder if the Duster were actually built as tough and strong as the Avvntura or the Ecosport....

It does cost 3 to 5 lakhs more though! Unlike in say the UK where the Punto and the Duster retail at similar prices.

The rumoured 'Avventura' b-suv supposedly planned for a 2016 launch, of which this Avventura is apparently the seed/premonition, will, FCA engineers told Autocar recently, be lighter by a 100 kilos through the use of high-strength yet lighter steels in the chassis. Now that car will therefore be even better at its high GC ride and handling.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    A common issue that higher GC comes with its down sides. Similar is the case with the newer Merc C220 CDI too. They too had to do it for Indian roads and the side effects are evident there too. One can think of Avventura as a Polo R cup type suspension for non-race track use. The on and off-roading capability is pretty decent without major compromises in ride and handling. I agree with @prabhjot on the fact that Duster is infact pretty overpriced, even the 4x4 diff. lock. Its definitely not bad as a package, except the Avventura could be better bargain if priced a bit lower than the usual asking price. And I am sure they will have to offer good discounts later to clear stocks.