1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    Congrats for you and your friend @Tornado to two avventuras to count for this month..
    And one more delivery of an avvy from CAI fiat,Coimbatore to count

So does the number of bookings or the number of deliveries that Will be counted for monthly sales figures?
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Neither, its the number of dispatch from factory to dealers. So , even if the booking has done or vehicle was already present in dealers yard which is delivered to the customer, they both wont be counted in monthly sales.
    adisrini1103 likes this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I encountered a car magazine called Auto Bild at a friend's place. Don't know about its circulation numbers etc, but I gather it's an India-Today-Group franchise of the famous German automag. Interesting format, reasonably honest from what I could make out, and thorough and knowing short reviews articles. Guess it might be familiar to many already?

Anyway, their december 2nd week issue had a head-to-head Avventura V/S Ecosport, in which it was the Avventura they rated tops. Despite claiming , VERY wrongly, that the Ecosport has ride-handling that is the equal of the Avventura's. And they were, of course, right to.

Now: let us remember the, by comparison, 'contract killing' of a job a certain female reviewer from Autocar did to the Avventura in a similar head-to-head, video though, EVEN AS their print issue at about the same time had a different, less 'subjective' i.e., murderous, comparo where again the Avventura came through really well.

As it is most people don't buy cars based on advertising, and don't even (outside of South and Western India) research cars on the net, to which we must add all the usual historical burdens and difficulties the Fiat brand faces in the wider market.

And then: you have an abusive review like Autocar's.....it's curtains for Avventura sales right at birth! Autocar has considerable influence over that tiny minority that does keep a slightly open-mind about cars (looks beyond M/HY/H/T and maybe Tata+Mahindra.)

The Avventura was chosen as a 'new' product/major variant precisely because the dominant firms have no presence in this segment and class of vehicle (barring the awful but successful Etios Cross: imagine that!) And because it could showcase all the attributes that make Fiat (and Ford) so unique in India: Italian styling, tough build, great diesel engine, great suspensions/chassis.

They were dead right to do so! Even if they committed an original sin: they launched it after the Evo, and they styled the Evo like it, too.

But: even with a product that has been well-liked, that recieves praise and eyeballs from all who see it, that got good reviews from all the mags and carshows and websites, that created a degree of 'buzz' (due to which Hyundai is at work on a cross version of its own of the i20), and that was advertised on youtube, facebook, and on tv, full-page ads in the papers too, all it took really is 'a contract killing' by Autocar to ruin the car's prospects, at birth??

THAT is how hard, impossibly so?, it is for Fiat and its vulnerable brand, to launch all-new cars, with even a modicum of success in India.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  4. acechip

acechip Superiore

Honestly, I find some of the reviewers of vernacular media channels giving a better feedback on the Avventura than the rather conceited condescending words by reviewers who can barely peek over the steering wheel. I mean, what does it take for Fiat to provide "special packages" to auto magazines to get positive reviews ? Dont tell me Fiat's playing ethical about its affairs.

As a criticism however, the initial turbo lag seems to be a common concern, and most important, that idiotic boot access system. For that alone, Fiat deserves some brickbats. Ford designed a much simpler solution around the same essential constraint.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip

Interesting that! the boot-release set-up, i mean.

Auto Bild, for example, is the ONLY reviewer on the net and on tv or print (to my knowledge) to have even bothered to point out the obvious truth: that the Ecosport's tyre-on-hatch set-up is worse! Because the chance of severe and very difficult/expensive to deal with rattles on a sagging hatch/damaged hinges is severe with that solution. As is confirmed by many ownership reviews of the Ecosport.

That is the very reason for the last-gen Merc/VW Touareg etc for using the Avventura technique. That is also the reason almost all SUV-s now have a sedan-like spare-tyre system, except the Wrangler and a couple of big Japanese SUV-s (and they have a hatch that opens upwards, not sideways like the Ecosport)? i.e., it could be and SHOULD HAVE BEEN argued by Fiat to reviewers/sales-managers at their dealerships and even somehow addressed in their print ads that IF one wants the aesthetics of an external spare tyre+cover, this IS the best technical solution, which IMO, it indeed is.

I am personally bewildered at what my local Fiat dealership manager told me a few weeks ago: people have been coming in much higher numbers for a look-see at the Avventura, have loved it BUT seem to've found the rear tyre arrangement deeply objectionable, relative to the Ecosport. I mean it's an object: it has a 2 step process rather than one. So what? What's the big deal?

Is the hatch OR the tyre mount heavy like the ecosport's? No. Will it rattle severely and irreparably like the Ecosport or the Safari's, in the long-run? Not likely. Is the Ecosport's rear bumper totally missing, providing not an inch of protection to the hatch in the event of a rear-ending, especially since it extends, like a European loading-van's, all the way down to the bumper-area's base? Does not the Avventura's set-up ensure protection for the hatch, safety-in-motion, and less-likely rattling-grief, not to mention brilliant and singular aesthetics, given the Punto's beefy-yet-rounded rear end, and high tail-lights-on-the-top-edges?

I conclude that people have just thoughtlessly internalised what the mags/reviewers told them: that it was a convoluted and difficult thing.

And so, yet again, Indian car-buyers have missed the woods for the trees.

PS: the Ecosport which had been declining at the rate of 12-15% year on year for the last 5-6 months, has seen sales bounce up to, what, almost 5000, again. I know discounts etc have played a part. But it cuts me up to think many folks who liked and nearly went for the Avventura, chose the default, first-mover Ecosport instead, AT A HIGHER PRICE and lower quality/'value'.

Sigh.

Shrug.
    Dr Nitin Dutta, Rohan and Rahul Singh like this.
  6. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Amatore

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @prabhjot : The Avventura spare wheel mechanism may be robust in long term but it's actually a pain every time i visit a mall. 8/10 times i have to get down to ensure that the boot is being opened properly. If the latch is not opened to full extent, the hatch door scratches the spare wheel cover. That's my biggest grouse with this mechanism. If you have to open it yourself,not a problem but when security has to open it's one inconvenient exercise :(
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    At-least one Skoda Laura owner I know who downgraded? to an Ecosport sorely misses the prior.

Also @prabhjot in an 'ideal world' people should accept the wheel thing without complaining too much. But then even as customer reaction should be taken seriously by Fiat, the sales people should be able to maneuver customer attention to whatever strong points are there in a car rather than have this conversation about how customers react to that wheel. It is defeatist I'd say for a sales person to concur with such thoughts of his target customers. Such sales guys must be taken to task if they fail to market aggressively. :mad:
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. Pr@bhunav

Pr@bhunav Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I Agree Rahul Singh.
    Also, the Spare wheel Opening/closing mechanism involves a Button, which has to be Kept Pressed while opening and closing the wheel mount assembly. This may not be given serious attention by many people everytime( I have experienced it with my cousins). Sometimes I am afraid, if they dont press the button and apply a little more force to close the spare wheel assembly, I may end up with some damage which makes impossible to close the tail wheel. It's not something, that I can make some temporary arrangement. I may have to end up driving to a FIAT service guy with open and swinging tail wheel.!!! :)
  9. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Amatore

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    The button needs to be pressed only when you are unlocking the latch from locked position. The spare wheel mechanism if not locked will only protrude by few cms. It doesn't swings wildly even when it's not locked properly in the closed position.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    What i would do if I bought an avvy and face these issues is, I would quietly dismantle the rear hinge and recover the original space in the boot and place the spare tyre where it originally belonged. To hell with macho appearance. The Avvy is worth driving for other reasons.

Abdul
    VIJENDRA SINGH likes this.