1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Pr@bhunav @Vidhyashankar Kannan

Cheers to you guys on your choice: the Avventura just oozes character and charisma, of design, toughness and engineering!

all the best, keep updating on your experiences and observations?
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.
  2. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ Vidhyashankar Kannan
    Nice choice - I feel Punto is a more practical car compared to Avvy. If its only one car to choose I will go with Punto as it fits in better as city car and has all traits of Avvy on highway except for a little lesser ground clearance. Avvy is brilliant as well but mostly as a highway and soft offroader. Since its fits your requirement to the T there could not have been a better choice.

Comparing Polo and Punto. Polo beats Punto in interiors and engine department. Rest all Punto wins by a margin. Build Quality difference may look almost equal to untrained eyes but Punto is better. Read through any accident threads on net and you will see people praising Fiat like anything. VW and Skoda do come close but there are more stories of people making it alive out of Fiats than any other manufacturer.

ASS is definitely cheaper and better for Fiats at least in metros and Tier 1 cities. VW group(Skoda, VW and Audi) do a lot of part sharing and price the parts on higher side instead of pricing on the lower side. Secondly just look at the horror issues of Skoda/VW where customers have been cheated with fake parts and all. Warranty honoring of Fiats is also better. Read engine horror stories of VW/Skodas you will understand what I mean.

I am not saying Fiats do not have any issues. They have but I am yet to come across a case in person or through net where customers had to face issues with fake parts or parts being replaced. There have been engine warranty issues but if you read through them in a lot of cases customers have been updated regarding issues which they thought to take care in a few days and the engine going Kaput before they could come back to fix the issue or pure accidental cases like hitting a stone etc. Unlike VW and Skoda where dealers ask for complete engine change costing lacs due to spurious diesel/petrol etc. VW DSG issues have been well documented as well. For every 1 issue of Fiat you will find at least 5 such issues for VW group .

For any one who loves to drive with a budget less than 1.5 millions nothing beats Fiats or Fords. The overall driving experience of these two manufacturers will give a competition to cars double the price.

The issue with Fiats is they some how are not able to sell in good numbers. Secondly FASS is a bit iffy. Bigger cities will be okay and the personel will be more experienced due to handling more cars. Not sure about smaller cities. Non availability of service centres every where especially easter and north eastern states. But you being in Hyderabad should not face much issues with 3 service centres. I am HYD too and can tell that FASS is mostly good here.

Third but the most important factor is peace of mind. With Fiats you can never have complete peace of mind. It may be sales or service or small issues cropping up or service centres not being able to resolve issues etc. With Fiats you have to have a connect with the car to understand it. Do preventive service. I visit FASS every 5-6 K kms. I may not change anything but pay 500 bucks and get everything checked every. I spend the time with Fiat mechanics understanding the car and prevent anything from going wrong.

But you tend to forget and forgive(FIAT and all associated people) once you get behind the steering wheel. Rev up beyond 4 K rpms and let the speedo crawl beyond 150 to feel the motoring bliss. Its one of a kind. Trust me you will not regret even a single second of your drive.
  3. Pr@bhunav

Pr@bhunav Timido

Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Its been 2 months almost since I and my whole family have been enjoying the Avvy. My friends who own MS Swift Dezire says Woooooooooov after experiencing the drive with extremely noticeable Breaking ability, minimal body roll and ease of swallowing the Worst pot holes with the gem of a suspension quality. Anyone would be pleased to look at the ambient lighting and blue&me.. :)
    Also, the combination of Harman infotainment and JBL speakers is something which has made me smile bigger..as I am enjoing the music quality also.
    My parents , friends and everyone, who have used the rear seats says there is absolutely no problem with the comforts of seating even with 3 adults. Initially I thot my parents n sister are too excited and optimistic about the new vehicle and hence had ignored their feedback (after 230 km travel) to some extent. But I was surprised to hear this feedback many times by different people, as I was bit worried about the rear seating comforts when we booked the vehicle - after considering the reviews in media. Happy about that, though I am not the user of that space :)
    Already shifted some luggage of my friend by making use of 60-40 split seats (full exploitation of boot space) and Avvy was appreciated for that as well :) (of course I saved 2500 bucks for him by by-passing the mini luggage transport).
    My Avvy has revved 2000km which includes City Traffic as well as long drives on highways. I m feeling I am getting an average of 16kmpl as of now (mostly have driven close to hundred) though none of us are really bothered abt tht as of now, as we r busy enjoying the rest of the features. One thing I noticed is the throttle response which has changed as compared to initial days.. I am feeling the engine has become more responsive after 1500km as compared to before and I am extremely happy with this change and city traffic is no bother at all most of the times !!!! Not sure whether its a common experience or I might have got proper grip over the engine usage and getting it revved at appropriate gear ratios. Please share your experience as well.
    So far, a very happy and satisfied ownership.
  4. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Pr@bhunav,Please start your AVVY ownership thread.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

You've summed things up excellently. Especially the bit about 'peace of mind', Fiats are tough, reliable and very durable but it is fair i think to say that overall they require and demand (and seduce!) a degree of involvement and engagement vis-a-vis maintenance, ASS etc.

Not as much more than the best selling brands as people commonly assume, though, and along some criteria, esp warranty-honouring, ASS and spares pricing: a good deal less.

Although I'd add that this is a complete non-issue for anyone (should be everyone!) who wants to experience not just a reliable appliance-like car, but wants deeper experiential and educational 'journeys' via car-ownership: driving pleasure, learnings about engineering details, nuances, techniques, strengths and limits, and design languages, brand narratives/histories/rhetorics etc.

In that sense to own a Fiat is to truly have TOTAL car-experiences/engagements, to participate in the global culture of automobility in deeper, more meaningful ways, EVEN AS one can enjoy reasonable-to-great, relatively, levels of cost/price, reliability, quality, durability and yes even ASS.

Along with, though I'd say much more so than Fords, it is the only such firm/brand in the Indian car mass market. Sort of like R Enfield, Vespa, Yamaha, Triumph, Harley Davidson etc in the Indian 2-wheeler market?

Also, about the new interiors of the 2014 Fiats: we should, i feel, distinguish qualitatively between design language and styling from final fit-and-finish/material quality. IMO they are truly beautiful in the former, elegant, sporty and exciting at the same time (i.e., Italian!), though good-but-not perfect in the latter.
    sandipan_r15 likes this.
  6. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Amatore

Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I too have noticed this, after some running the response has become better, the engine seems to have opened up now. One thing i am noticing now a days, after a mild run (30-40 KMS) when i switch off the car it sorts of shakes. Is this normal? I neverhave experienced anything like this in any of my previous vehicles. It's not a gentle shake, it's quite noticeable.
  7. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    Off Topic...but something tells me that FIAT will ship 1200+ cars this month.
  8. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @nibedk: Very eloquently put. I agree that the Punto is sufficient for our needs. We also prefer the all black interiors of the Punto 93 PS to the black-gray of the Avvy. The Punto also cheaper and has the same characterisitics of the Avvy. But this is going to be our first new car and I am above 40. So what the heck. Might as well get a car that everyone in the family likes.

I have read in detail about the service issues that Skoda and VW cars have. Some of them are terrifying. And anyone who has a Fiat has almost never complained of showstopping issues. Mostly minor niggles and that too with the fantastic warranty span. I was never worried about Fiat's A.S.S. Just the availability in case they shut shop.

Ford too has lovely handling. I was hoping the Ford Focus RS would be released here. But no chance. We only get older dumped models from them. They are better now but the Fiesta's release was messed up. Great car however.

Even I believe in doing preventive service. Its a ton of time saved for a 500-1000 Rupees once in several months. However I simply lack the time to spend with the mechanics at the service centre. Let me see how it goes.

@prabhjot: I do not expect a completely hassle free tenure with a Fiat. Little faults are ok. Its just the character of the car to be a bit more attention seeking. In fact, I would so much like to remap the ECU but might think of it only after the warranty period is over. The 1.3 engine has so much power on tap but is tuned to comply with Indian laws.

Regarding the interiors, for someone like me, any present car is a huge step above the Zen. I liked the interiors in the Grande Punto as well as the Evo. They're functional and that's enough for me. People complain about the lack of space in the door pockets to keep a 1 litre bottle. So perhaps we just need to keep a 500 ml bottle. Simple. Whatever works.
    sandipan_r15, bharath and prabhjot like this.
  9. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I came to know that new prices with hike in excise duty (approx 35 k for Avventura )will be declared tomorrow. and whatever discounts are there is likely to get nullified.
    Source -Pandit auto SE said that they have got an email from Fiat about the hike and his bosses are working out new prices.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

I doubt it, if they do they're only asking for trouble: they'll just have to discount fire-sale them later in the year. Better to save resources and direct more and more!! of them towards marketing and advertising.

Mefeels the Avventura's numbers will not be big enough to offset: (a) what appears to be a pretty big drop in demand for the Punto, given the new competition from the dominant firms (facelifted Swift, i20 elite) and the steady/increased demand for the new Polo and the new Zest, not to mention the upcoming Bolt (b) the potential overall industry sales flatness because of higher excise duties and the demand for 2015 that got tempted into 2014 by the unprecedentedly aggressive discounting all firms did in december, not the least Fiat itself.

Fiat will again find itself making good money...but only from the sales of Tata and Maruti cars, not their own brilliant/better ones. :p:confused:
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.