1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Amatore

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @acechip : If you look from this perspective then yes Avventura doesn't makes enough sense. However, trust me extra 20 mm does makes a difference. I have traveled on roads(or no roads) where you will need every extra 1 mm GC.

Punto 90 hp and Avventura are targeted towards different set of users. Although the current 90 HP MJD doesn't do justice in differentiating the products. As @prabhjot correctly pointed out, if you are in market for proper crossovers then the next option is Eco Sport which costs 11.5 Lacs OTR in Bangalore as opposed to Avventura at 10 Lacs OTR.

If we go by the logic of comparing apples and oranges then an alto is also a car, has 4 wheels, a steering, 4 windows, a decent boot and a good power to weight ratio. Why don't we go ahead and compare our Evo with alto then?

A proper comparison of Avventura would be with Etios cross and Polo cross and may be eco sport. I would any day take Avvy over first two and looking at price difference vis a vis the features (or lack of it), Avventura is a decent product vs Eco Sport.
  2. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    If you love driving, FIATs are way ahead of its competetion always. It will connect to your emotions. I had driven swift, i20, jazz, but i never get a feeling like connected with these motors. Iam not saying this becoz iam owning a punto. One has to experience. May be that will come with the experience. When i bought my first car(astar), i dont know the exact meaning of steering feedback, road dynamics, cornering capabilities etc., I only know power windows, fog lamps, good music player etc., These are the visual things first time buyers will look into that.

And one thing i can tell, we can't judge the vehicles by test driving with in the city limits.
  3. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Update :

The dealer has not yet registered the car with RTO despite repeated follow ups. Ideally it should have been done on last Friday only.

One of my friend had gone to PCMC showroom of the same dealer to book a tomato red Avventura emotion where he learnt that Fiat has declared discounts worth Rs40000 (10,000 cash+ insurance )on 2014 manufacturered Avventuras.

I have sent emails and SMS to the dealer and FCA ,asking them to pass on the benefits to me with immediate effect else cancel the RTO proceedings and the deal.

Now, all fingers crossed.
    mangeshtendulkar likes this.
  4. acechip

acechip Superiore

Your Sales experience with Fiat has elements of its inglorious past written all over it. This is not good at all. At a time when they need to pull every muscle in their organization to make any decent headway into the market, they are simply making the same mistakes all over.

@prabhjot, we havent even finished the design/engg/VFM proposition, meanwhile, the soft issues persist!
    @Rahul s- there will always be situations where 205 mm will come in handy. But for 90% of the time, even 175mm is sufficient. If you want to cross river streams, boulders etc, then that 205mm will be helpful. But at that point, the REAL SUV design ie, approach and departure angles , water-wading, etc will definitely have an edge over a hatchback with high-heels.
    In my opinion, the Avventura should really have been the Punto Evo- Emotion grade variant with the 90BHP MJD.
    That would have enhanced the Evo's reputation as well. And there was no need to bring that spare wheel out-of-the body.
    Rahul Singh and asimpleson like this.
  5. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Hello Gentlemen,

I'm a rather new entrant on teamfiat but I must say that looking at the posts here, it is one place where there are very passionate Fiat fans. I am also waiting for my red Avventura to be delivered after booking it on 31-Dec-14. No news yet from the dealer. But then I am in no hurry at all.

I am enjoying the very descriptive and engaging debates happening here. prabhjot seems to be the undisputed well wisher of a global brand that is getting thrashed in India. I applaud him for taking on the mantle of a guardian. Keep going guys, for I am reading this thread with much amusement.

We decided to get a new car after our little 800 and 2005 model Zen mpfi. The Zen is quite practical for city driving and is possibly the best car in its segment when it comes to handling and grip. Long drives have been a breeze in this car. However the addition of children to the family has not been kind to the old Zen which struggles with the AC on and a full load of 3 adults and 2 children. Hence began the search for a new car.

Our needs were very simple. Safety first as the car was for predominantly long drives. Second requirement was its fun to drive factor. It had to be an engaging car to drive as the high command and I would both be driving. Third was the need for a good AC. All other bells and whistles were just nice to have but no real need.

As we love hill stations, our preference was for a good hatchback which had good climbing ability and decent luggage space. For city rides, we will be using the Zen as we find it to be the best in its segment in terms of its small size, easy servicing, decent mileage and ability to nip into confined spaces.

The cars we shortlisted were the Polo and the Punto. The two new cars in question have very different characters. It is like comparing a butler and a friend. Both can be trusted, both have integrity but provide very different psychological benefits.

My better half and I took detailed TDs of both cars and found the following:

Fit and finish: The Polo definitely scores here as everything is brilliantly put together. Fitting gaps are minimal and the interiors are the best in its class. The Punto seems put together in a hurry although the interiors are a notch above the outgoing model. Some of the handles in the Punto feel flimsy although the mechanics look good

Build quality: Both are excellent and solid grade steel used but the Punto felt stronger, albeit by only a margin over the Polo.

Family space: The Punto wins here with better rear legroom. The Polo has adequate space

Steering: The Punto is excellent although the Polo is close. But the Punto has razor sharp feedback that back it a joy to ride in the city. My better half saw the grin on my face and agreed herself that the Punto feels more driver friendly.

Handling: The Punto is wow. Throw it around a corner and it grips like an iguana. The Polo too is good but not as sure footed as the Punto

Safety features: Both are excellent. Airbags and ABS.

Braking: Again the Punto wins here. It is much more sure of itself and stops in a straight line. The Polo is excellent too but the Punto inspires braking confidence.

Engine: Now here is where the duality begins. The new Polo 1.5 is marvelous. Pickup is linear but really quick. Very little turbo lag which makes it wonderful to use in the city as well as the highways. It is so quiet and has such a different feel from the earlier 1.2 TDi. My wife and I both found the performance to be beyond expectations.

The Punto 93 ps on the other hand has adequate performance and acceleration. Even in the second gear, it is quite comfortable puttering around in traffic. Quite frankly, we did not understand the turbo lag that everyone seems to be talking about. There is a bit of lag but not so bad that it holds up traffic. Maybe we’re just getting old and have lower expectations.

The main concern now was that we have read horror stories regarding both cars everywhere when it comes to servicing and mechanical issues. My other concern was that inspite of being such a great car, the Punto just doesn’t seem to be selling much. And we would like to retain the car for atleast 4 years. We didn't want to be stuck in a situation where Fiat service centres close down one by one in India. It looks like no matter what they try, the sales are not happening.

The Polo on the other hand too seems to be suffering from high maintenance issues. But I have friends who swear that their regular services are cheap for a car of this brand. And then I see that VW seems to be actually listening to Indian customers and bringing about changes where required while Fiat is still plonking the same tried and tested engine with slightly upgraded interiors.

We tried the i20 but found it to be a lifeless relationship. Gameboy type steering feedback and no thrill. Great interiors, great for city drives and a quirky rear end. Was removed from the list.

The most important reason for not choosing the Polo was the tiny back seat. More than 2 adults is very difficult. So 3 adults sitting for long drives was very difficult. And since this car was to be used for long family drives, the Polo was out.

As mentioned before, the i20 had lacklustre steering. Sure, it was comfortable to drive and the features are superb, but the drive was not very engaging. Hard to explain.

The Figo was very nice, loads of low end grunt and very practical. But the shape of the car put us off. At this stage, my wife grudgingly accepted that the Punto is the best one to drive and very safe too. I took her to the showroom to choose a color when we saw the Avventura.

She liked it immediately on first impressions. Unsure of the drive, we booked a TD the very next day. One drive was all it took. The infamous 2nd gear lag of the Punto was nearly gone, the NVH levels were much improved and most importantly, the seating position was commanding and high up. The ride was fantastic as we went over a stretch of road being constructed. The Avvy soaked it all up. The gear ratios felt a little more improved too. The Avvy has its quirks but certainly was the chosen one due to its driver friendly characteristics. We will be ordering a rear parking sensor though to manage the external wheel width. The boot is a bother to open but like every other quirk, we learn to live with it as long as the car’s fundamentals are strong.

And then I see the December sales statistics. Fiat is really down in the dumps. Sigh. Let’s see what happens in 6 year’s time. Hopefully spares will be available till then. But the Avventura it is. Sure, it does not have many interior features as the i20. But it has what a driver needs, the basic DNA of an engaging car.
  6. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @V KANNAN,your post has left very little scope to advise/suggest.I just compare the case scenario of FIAT INDIA to that of YAMAHA INDIA & RE & hope oneday----.
    I just forget all these pains(low sales fig etc. etc.) once I get behind the wheels of my GP and drive on the highway.But at the moment there is absolutely no problem with servicing(my experience)--at least at KOLKATA.
  7. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @sandipan_r15 , Thank you. I too have the same feeling. Ultimately, one is not going to live in the car. If you break it down to the bare essentials, it should transport you from place to place in a way that is comfortable, safe, joyful and entertained. Almost all cars these days are capable. But many have sacrificed driving pleasure for cosmetic and sensory pleasures. A bigger stereo, motorized ORVMs, seat massagers, vanity mirrors, etc. Sure, to each his own and the priorities are different for different folks. But the very basic thing of traveling from point A to B by enjoying the drive is still paramount.

You're so right when you talk about Yamaha and RE. The RX100, RD350 and Bullet Classic are joys to ride. There's something about them that makes you feel on top of the world when you're riding them.

I actually booked the Grande Punto 90 HP back in Jul14. I still love the red GP for its handling. And it was just 7.3 lakhs on road. The Avvy is a whole 2 lakhs more than that but we decided what the heck. Let's get a nice, new car for once in our lives. Something that the whole family likes for different reasons! The kids love the color and look, wife loves the higher seating position and I love the drive.
    Rohan, prabhjot and bharath like this.
  8. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Amatore

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    And that sums up my point, Avventura is targeted at users who often need a high stance compact vehicle. EVO and Avvy are meant for different set of users. Not every one wants a SUV but a SUV like stance is also desirable for few people ( Me included).

Whether you call it as a raised hatchback or overpriced Evo, it is good at what it is supposed to do. At the end of day, it boils down to user choice, if they want to spend extra 100K for Avventura or not!

And to add it, i don't mind if someone chooses EVO over Avvy or vice versa, As long as customer stays with Fiat, it translates into sales for them and i am happy :)!
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 20, 2015 ---
    @Vidhyashankar Kannan : Welcome to the Fiat family. Avventura is one gem of a car and you will love it to the core. Do update us on delivery status periodically.
  9. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Just my thought.
  10. Pr@bhunav

Pr@bhunav Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I completely agree with you ccprakash

I still remember my days in Johannesburg during 2012 and 2013, when I had just learnt driving and was given rented cars (all brand new) by my company. Then I didn't know any jargon of motor and driving dynamics except the experience of being a co passenger in India. My office commute was 80 km per day approx both in traffic and in free ways. First I was given i10(drove for about 1000 km) , then I got TATA Indica (drove about 700 kms) , then got a chance to drive this gem of a car Fiat Grande Punto (for almost a year) ..
    When I started using it, I suddenly felt the change in every bit of my driving experience as compared to all these previous vehicles!! It was tooooo good experience truely!! But I didn't know then the terms to name the experiences ( like confidence boosting steering feedback at speeds of even 150kmph at South African free ways, ABS, minimal body roll, high speed stability, ride& handling, overall feel of being connected - as mentioned by ccprakash). Wow. I fell in love this way with that vehicle n brand. I was frankly thinking i20 may be better than this w.r.t driving experience as it was admired by many in India that time!! Luckily I got a chance to drive i20 also during my trip from Port Elizabeth to Capetown ( the famous Garden Route) on South African national highway. But all my expectations of i20 were gone in a very short time. As compared to Punto..driving dynamics are not even a match ( that way I felt indica is better n heavy) as per my experience.. No confidence with the dead steering at high speeds and the heavy built feel of Punto was very much missing!!!!
    After returning to India I decided to go for Linea MJD. But then came the news of launch of Avventura n evo. the confusion started bw linea and Avventura. But as I had to restrict my budget to 10 lakh Max.. Whole family agreed for Avvy n I booked it without even test driving.. Now I m feeling the same driving pleasure again with Avvy and I 100% agree its a value for money as compared to the price,quality of - build, suspension, driving, interiors and the looks of other vehicles in market in the segment in the price band of 10 lakh.
    I test drove VW new polo as well .. The engine was a real gem with superb response. But when it comes to overall package I felt Avvy is a class apart in market.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015