1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    what a difference they are testing for small small issues i think and some other manufacturers launch their vehicles without on road testing and they sale one at 2500 pm now and 7000 pm with lot of cost cuttings , despite so much testing what the hell is happening that some small issues and niggles are getting to the 300 -400 customers pm from 800 pm.:banghead:
    Tornado likes this.
  2. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Amatore

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I hope they are testing new engines :hilarious:. There is indeed a sound from left rear, may be the vehicle with bumper markings is being tested for that.
    @dadasaheb : The hype generated by Avventura has not been followed up by deliveries. I expexted it to sell about 1-1.5k PM (more than current cumulative sale), the delays have however seem to kill the product before it could get better :(. And competition in this space is going to be tougher with impending arrival of Hyundai and Maruti suzuki.
    dadasaheb likes this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Rahul Singh

Well, 1200-1500 pm seems outlandish in this marketplace, the best case was for 500-600, I felt. It may yet sell 300+ a month on a steady basis?

Its sales have also been greatly hurt by the discount bonanza in december on the Evo and the Linea, the local Gurgaon dealership manager said that not a few prospective Avventura buyers gravitated towards the discounted esp Evo 75 mjd they had in stock for ready delivery. In fact, when i was there last, I myself encountered a guy cross-shopping it with a discounted Linea, too.

Fiats are always a minority taste, in a small-ish minority on the road: ah, but the pleasure of owning one comes from that very, much cursed fact, doesn't it?!!:cool:

As usual: whatever the cause, a pity this ravishing car, a pukka Indo-Italian crossover, is not a sales hit, but what else is new? :confused:;)

It seems, from the apparent popularity of the Etios Cross, that Fiat wasted their time on the rear spare tyre mechanism and the higher GC+reworked suspension, people just want a cladding-ed (preferably in garish silver coloured plastic!) hatch-as-is, not a proper crossover, just the look not the tough, bad-road substance.
  4. bellidoc

bellidoc Timido

bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    test drive the avventura. Pray to fiat to listen to their fans and launch the t-jet version ASAP and the market will respond favourably
    cheers.
    belli
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @bellidoc Hi, welcome to the forum!

Nice to hear the enthusiasm for the Avventura and the t-jet, not that I think the engine will make that much of a big difference since I believe engines are among the least of the concerns of most prospective premium hatch/crossover buyers. The Ecosport was a hit almost entirely because of its styling ("aggressive" "macho" boxy...however ridiculous that looks on a sub-4m raised hatchback that is actually is) and because of a first mover advantage. I gather, for example, that the Ecoboost engine does not sell that much at all.

Still, you're right, the t-jet will keep the Avventura on buyers' radar, will recreate some brand-buzz, it's totally worth going for, for Fiat, and they will, am sure, just how soon is 'ASAP' though, I wonder? Hopefully soon after the upcoming Union Budget, since there are the usual annual hopes and lobbying for the removal of excise duty concessions to sub-1.2 litre petrols, and similarly for the diesels too?

The Avventura has, whatever its own sales numbers, certainly opened-up a new niche for 'cross' versions of hatches, whether fake a la Etios Cross and Cross Polo or more persuasive like the upcoming i20 Elite cross, though Fiat's a champ and pioneer at this in Europe (Panda 4x4 and new Panda Cross) and LatAM (Palio Adventure). Of course, the Avventura's even better than the Ecosport, never mind these other charlatan-cars, but tell that to the car-buying public!

How often have we seen, recently, Hyundai aping a Fiat strategy (as with the i20 Cross), after all?:p
  6. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Amatore

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @prabhjot : Agreed but the fig of 1000-1500 is what i would hope for, you see that alone would double Fiat's monthly sales :p. But as you rightly pointed out, in the current situation that's too much to ask for :(.

My feeling says that even of they launch tghe tjet Avvy, the sales may improve for initial couple of months but again will settle at the same levels. Simply put, People don't consider Fiat when they shortlist a car for purchase.
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

And to what effect? Boot space is the same as the Punto, ground clearance of 205mm over 185mm of Punto is not a much bigger deal anyway. I really dont see the case for the Avventura in its present form vis-a-vis the Punto Emotion 90HP. Or indeed the reverse.

No offence to Avventura owners, its surely a good solid Fiat car otherwise. But if you step back from the viewpoint of an owner, and leave aside the plastic claddings, what are you really getting different from a 90HP Punto Evo ?
    dadasaheb likes this.
  8. bellidoc

bellidoc Timido

bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Fiat has a great opportunity to grab the niche enthusiast car market.Especially in the sub₹15 lakh range.If they get a Abarth versions of the Punto and Avventura out soon and hit the market hard.A lot of young first time car buyer's are looking for something more exciting than what is in the market.
    VW is definitely making a effort
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip

That's just it: in India we have this strange calculus where every car-attribute is seen as 'commensurable' as any other, and each one is seen (if cared for at all) as only more or less of the same.

i.e., in our car culture ALL even qualitative car values are seen in quantitative i.e., monetary terms terms. We are less interested in the 'values' that comprise the V in 'VFM', and tend to reduce 'value' to price.

e.g., you, applying the mass-market logic, said 205 isn't much different to 185. Except that it is: 200mm is more or less the global cut-off that defines a crossover/SUV. It enables a distinctive aesthetics, especially from the rear, since it resonates that much more with the big spare wheel cover. The overall aesthetic impact and design-whole is indeed very different, front, side and esp rear. And it is indeed superior in its ride and handling balance EVEN to the brilliant, class-benchmark Punto Evo GIVEN its meaningfully (in Indian road conditions, urban, rural and highway) higher GC, let alone the poor balance on the Ecosport.

IF one values these attributes at a QUALITATIVE (non-commensurable, non-reducible to a common quantitative measure, in this case a kind of money-value), then NO QUESTION of confounding the Evo and the Avventura. It is similar, being a variant of it, but it is meaningfully different too, in very specific ways, that are NOT cosmetic but aesthetic, and also have clear differences in suspension design/GC.

Which is also why it sells not THAT much more expensively than an Evo 90, AND, here's the essential point, a lakh lower than the segment-definer, the Ecosport, indeed bettering it at many aesthetic and (suspension & steering) engineering qualities.

But yes, in our marketplace, with next to no automotive 'values' at all other than a vague love of status, novelty and aspirational/yuppie/puppie loud, unsubtle style + gizmo-s, it is clear than the very evident differentiation-together-with-similarity with the Evo is probably lost on most buyers.

In fact I bet there are many who would've considered and liked the Avventura, but not bought it because a discounted Evo 75 would appear so much better value, but then not bought that either, proceeding instead to buy the 1 lakhs MORE expensive Ecosport, since the latter offers better 'status value'-for-the-extra-money, even though the Avventura would've bettered it at many car-values/qualities AND on price! Or cross-shopped it with wildly qualitatively different cars (eg, a Jap or Korean sedan).

Our automotive 'value'-reckoning is vague and gross at best (status-cum-novelty-cum-showy-cum-resale-cum-ASS in a vague way) and vulgar and mindless at worst.

Little wonder that we are poor these days at VFM, have lost our old nous for 'paisa vasool': we seem to systematically prefer discount-engineered-and-designed cars at hugely premium prices (Honda City, Ford Ecosport, Hyundai i20 elite, even the Duster and Terrano, XUV500+Scorpio, the Etios Cross, while disregarding the REAL DEALS (pun intended): the Linea and Punto Evo, the Fiesta, the Fluence, the Tata Safari and Zest, the Micra, the VW Vento TSi/DSG, Chevy Sail sedan, etc.

And, it seems, the Avventura!:(:confused:

They should just have offered the cladding (silver plastic version, naturally) with no other changes, for say 30000 rupees more, they wasted money and effort on the higher GC+suspension re-engineering, and engine re-tuning (not to mention the radical aesthetic differentiater of the rear spare wheel+cover), since few prospective buyers assign any price or 'value' to these.:p:banghead:
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 19, 2015 ---
    A confession, btw: I STILL harbour hopes of 300+ Avventura-s a month, though it's clear that net of the cannibalization of the Evo.....they may as well not have bothered (in this marketplace)!:blackeye::confused:
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  10. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    its also missing on the 6 speed gearbox and projectors shown in auto expo that would have more comparable differences.