1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    @drsantoshms A long list of replies. I will address them one by one as best as I can. I actually do not hate Maruti. I am agnostic. See a commercial entity has no soul or feelings. It's soul purpose is to make profit while following the legal requirements of the area it is prevalent in. Maruti is good in both. It is an entity making profit. Look, the base version of the diesel Polo has everything one needs including most importantly the safety requirements. It is also cheaper than the mid versions of the Swift which is a souped up tin can. Yet folks still go to buy the Swift and so they do not care. They are true to their shareholders and that is all it matters.

@prabhjot For any business market-dominance is very important. To your point, heritage, tuning, racing dynamics etc come if I am buying a Maserati or a Ferrari. For a hatchback that takes me to office and back and the occasional weekly runs bragging about all those parameters is frankly stupid. I include even the T-jet which by any international standards is a very very ordinary sedan in all aspects.
    Two, you are right about the phones and barring Apple all the big so called known manufacturers are feeling the heat. Remember Nokia that guy with a lot of lineage. You know what - it is dead. People frankly in our era do not give two hoots about lineage. A few do - most do not. Tomorrow if I start a "Raj" brand of cars with exceptional capabilities in one or more areas that the car going public demands it will succeed. So yes young upstarts (comparatively young like Hyundai/Kia) are challenging the older one's. So many iconic brands are dead or are taken over by others. Same way Benelli an Italian brand is now owned by the Chinese. Lineage is only getting you so far and no more. In reality I despise Fiat more - because unlike Suzuki they have a hot of stuff that can be bought to India and we get none other than hot air and petrol engines from pre-Cambrian times.

@Vinodh_Gowda Can you give me an objective reason why the base version of the Polo sold in India would be less safe with the airbags then the base version of Punto. As far as I know they are both well built and there is no proof that a Fiat is safer than a VW. In fact the international opinion in most cases would be exactly opposite.

@acechip No actually, I have flown many times since the 90's. The journey to Singapore was my worst experience of all. I have loved Thai airlines for their service and those cute ladies in there :D. I have travelled quite a bit though not to the Gulf.
    acechip likes this.
  2. Vinodh_Gowda

Vinodh_Gowda Novizio

Namma Bengaluru
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hmmm as per my post, I reiterate that my respect for VW has increased because of their move to make airbags standard. To answer your question, I will never let my family buy a base variant and if incase a scenario does exists wherein I have to choose a base variant, Polo might be the obvious choice but then I still feel Punto with its safety equipment is far superior to the similarly equipped Polo, hence I would postpone my buy until I could afford the highest variant. Punto is superior in the braking department. Also to add the driving dynamics of the Polo though not bad by any standards aren't exactly in the league of the Punto. Simpler words, am the wrong person to answer about base variants and I have till now havnt suggested any car to my friends which had Airbags and ABS missing as I consider these two to be an absolutely must in our cities. Reason why am pissed with FIAT for not having a higher variant Avventura Petrol.

For someone who has to choose between the base variant then I agree he has to go in for the Polo but that someone doesn't include me sir.

OT: Safety also means the car doesn't give up mid way during the journey. I have less faith on VW in this regard due to the two very bad experiences in my friend circle, one was actually left stranded in the middle of the road at U.P. With his family, reason a stone damaging some part in the engine compartment. FIATs are better due to adequate under body protection.
    Tornado likes this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

Cars are less bundles of torque-brakes-suspension-look-etc but more stories....we tell ourselves and others, about who we are, what we aspire to, who we imagine ourselves to be (young, aggressive, macho, frugal or ostentatious, excitable or restrained, cosmopolitan or local etc.)

Of course we could subtract the storied-part of the car and treat them as bundles of 'mobility apps', like in a generic smartphone. That is what almost everyone in India does, not excluding luxury car buyers, too many of whom treat the car's overall value as a vague 'app' called status.

Or, we could see if the stories car brands seek to tell about their cars are, among other criteria: true, beautiful, nationalist/global, old and venerable and/or futurist, innovative and/or eccentric, sober or erotically charged, and so on.

I believe in doing the latter when it comes to cars. I think cars are not meant to be treated and evaluated like say...a washing machine, or even a Bose speaker system. Cars are stories and performances first, exciting or useful machines later (to exagerate slightly), IMO.

Otherwise, I see little reason in blowing up many lakhs on a depreciating asset that sits endlessly in clogged traffic, and is more expensive than using my bike/scooter, or an auto or the metro that is close enough to my place, or even a bus. As for raw driving pleasure: my scooter beats the t-jet hands down in the city for handling fun, and torque too! If I absolutely need a car, i can very affordably rent an Innova (app-liance!) or a Myles Tata Nano.:p:D

Now more specifically, and to the TFi point: consider the roster of brands now called FCA: Fiat, Dodge, Ram, Chrysler, Jeep, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Ferrari, and so many intriguing, storied sub-brands within each....more and better? stories per car sold than...!;) And, again, cost, ASS, quality and NCAP ratings that are acceptable too, no?:p
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot, eloquently treated; full justice to this matter of soul or feelings exuded by a product, the brand, the maker, manufacturer and many more. Ofcourse these are determining factors to choose a product or brand over another.

PS: you forgot to mention LANCIA, not so much a sub-brand... :)
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    prabhjot and Saket Sidana like this.
  5. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Even then fiat will sell engines to maruti ... and maruti will be the market leader
  6. kgramesh

kgramesh Amatore

Palakkad, KL
    Linea T-Jet
  7. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Amatore

Avventura 1.3 90 HP
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    At least FIAT is getting some business for that reason. Praise for it.
    adisrini1103 likes this.
  9. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Hmm.. Now I understand, it is the engine mount problem which is culprit, and that's why SE of all the dealerships in Pune are telling that a January 2015 manufactured Avventura would be delivered in the months of March or April 2015.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 4, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 4, 2015 ---
    As of now, my father has told me to wait till fiat comes clean on this.
    And go for any other option like used Nissan Terrano or Linea.
    For Linea, I feel, if this year they launch a 1,5 L or 1.6 L, I would be left sour mouthed later on.
  10. drsantoshms

drsantoshms Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Don't get upset with this engine mount issue unless the source of the news is confirmed. More information is needed for clarification. By that time, don't take any drastic step.
    prabhjot likes this.