1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The launch is on 21st, that is the latest info.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @amogh The Ecosport HAD first mover advantage, and the seductive initial appearance of being a whole lot of car+features for the price but that effect has long since waned: its sales are down quite a bit over the last 4-5 months.

Ford IS feeling threatened: they have several internet and tv ads that are clearly trying to immunize it from the Avventura attack. And, despite their stellar reputation, so is Toyota: they too are advertising the Etios Cross, unusually.

I am very hopeful of truly killer prices for the petrols: that i guess is the whole point of not launching the t-jet. To try and create a market-segment stir with good old-fashioned price warring. The happy thing if it works (by Fiat standards) is that Fiat's cost base is truly very very competitive: they will make money even at those prices, as will the dealers. We keep forgetting that Fiat India for all the weakness in its brand-pull/trust and sales, has done and does far better in the Indian car bazaar than Ford, GM, VW+Skoda, and even Honda who are all sitting on thousands of crores of accumulated losses over the last few years.

We here at TFI are being coy about the ecosport: the truth is that the Avventura blows it out of the park for quality of design, materials and engineering, AND vfm. I fully subscribe to the UK automag reviewers dismissal and scorn for the Ecosport as among the worst cars available in their market. That is no coincience: as usual, Fiat has offered the market a euro-standard crossover at Indian prices, while the Ecosport is clearly more of a made-for-emerging-markets type car, i.e., a wannabe-looking car with some big engineering and build/material quality dilutions. I can accept praise for the Fiesta over the Linea, maybe, but I do not think it is a contest at all between the Avventura and the Ecosport: the former just is BETTER (petrol engine apart), at honest, BETTER prices, am certain.

Of course, in this warped car bazaar it will not sell more than a few, maybe several hundred a month but even so it will have been a major step for Fiat and its dealers: it will add to footfalls in dealerships, spare dealers discounts, build SOME significant confidence in the brand, add to its currently low-profile even among non-buyers. And i feel sure that its sales, whatever they are, are sustainable and can even be easily grown next year (add the T-jet? AMT gearbox? SatNav+Projector lamps?), since the car's intrinsic charisma is very strong.
  3. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @prabhjot :
    this is precisely the point I was discussing with other moderators while the Avventura review was being written. Throw the TFI hat away, throw the FIAT owner hat away, throw the "I know about FIAT products" hat away. Heck throw the "I know about cars" hat away.

Once you do that : think about the Avvetura. There are very few, like you, who will still rate it higher. That, unfortunately, is the fact. The Indian car market has proven that time and again. And I am ONLY comparing product. No brand value, no after sales network, no part availability. Nothing. On a product to product basis : the Ecosport has more tricks up its sleeve to dimiss Avventura than the other way round.

The ONLY way Avventura makes a serious dent : top end diesel 8.5 lacs ex-showroom. Then it gives itself a chance to atleast get noticed. Then come the softer issues of showroom experience, sales, after sales, cost of maintenance etc etc. For FIAT to get customers to even think about those points the only way to do it is price it super damn well! If it goes anywhere close to six digit pricing - it's game over.

That's why I feel the Evo launch was a big mistake. Now FIAT cannot undercut the Evo's pricing (they will kill their own product) nor can they go in the Linea range. They have a very narrow band to play with.
  4. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    I agree with this point. Old Punto exterior still look attractive and does not feel outdated. Old Punto was needed interior revamp.
    Now consider Avventura without existence of EVO, you have a winner. Fiat already did this part with Linea and Punto to ensure Linea does not look just addition of boot to its hatchback version. I wish they would have followed same for new Punto EVO and Avventura. This would have given advantage to FIAT.

As highlighted by reviewers, members, currently it seems, Avvnetura is just spare wheel on hatch door, increased GC and some cladding to buyers (non FIAT fans) with some additional gadgets when compared to Punto EVO.

Surprisingly Petrol Emotion version is missing in Avventura line-up is shocking when petrol diesel gap is decreasing. If Fiat is thinking to offer Petrol Emotion version with T-Jet engine then it makes sense but that does not seem to be possibility at this moment.

Avventura is surely capable of bringing customers to FIAT only if it is marketed well. Fiat started that with showcasing the same at malls in big cities. They should have continued it till launch by showcasing it at malls, in IT premises. That would have kept momentum going.

Everybody talks about launch date except Fiat, is really disappointing. They should have made this available before Diwali which is biggest festival in India. Launch is near and there is no promotion of Avventura in media. Fiat Product team has done their work but marketing team seems to be not aware of this product in their portfolio. Wake up, please promote this car!
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    But this gives Avventura, better road presence, feel of SUV, and option to take it to any road or surface.
    Remember it is still a Urban vehicle, but it gives you choice to do some adventure. And also with change in tuning, it is actually better to drive now.

Product in itself is quite appealing, but with EVO on same showroom, let's see how buyer reacts.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    "but with EVO on same showroom" is something I am highlighting. Now consider we have old punto with new interior, new linea and Avventura that looks perfect combination. Isn' it? :)
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I suspect Fiat does not care whether buyers go for the Evo or rather the Avventura, since they are largely the same car under the skin AS LONG AS the net Evo+Avventura sales figure is a few hundred more than what the Evo would've managed on its own, which i think is an average of around 600-700 a month, as proven over the last 2 years' sales. i.e., as long as there are conquest sales from other brands.

Some cannibalization of sales will be there for sure, which is why am quite hopeful that they are indeed seriously thinking of launching the t-jet on the Avventura to protect the Evo petrol's sales. For the launch though: they seem to be lining up a pricing-shock (petrol)/price-war. Waiting to see how they handle the launch! :)
    VIJENDRA SINGH likes this.
  8. abhiiceman

abhiiceman Amatore

Bangalore
    Actually I noticed the wheel shaking in the first avventura video(when it goes over a water pond) itself but didn't want to make a fuzz about it as we know how man Indians love fiat
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Excellent review guys. Kudos.

Those videos added even more exclsivity to the review and I am impressed by the photography and attention to the details in this review.

Keep it up guys.
  10. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Here is quick photo compare with Polo Cross.
    Compare_RightSideProfile.jpg

Compare_SideProfile.jpg

Compare_RearProfile.jpg
    Images taken from various sources on internet.
    I am doing same for Etios cross and will share here soon.