1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

From all the stickers in our new set, you guys chose the perfect one for Avventura at front :) Very nice and unbiased review there, thanks Krishna, Ravi, Puntom and Karthik ! My computer's wallpaper has already changed :) The FIAT looks stunning (read macho) when viewed from the rear compared to the Ecosport.
    and is that really a crossover there, the Liva? :p
    mchanna and amogh like this.
  2. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Excellent review team :)

One question I have, can the thermocol thing be removed and small luggages can be placed in old spare wheel well?
  3. JohnyBoy

JohnyBoy Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    Exactly. I like the small nice features in the highest variant. After driving Punto EmotionPLus for 5 years, I won't be comfortable with a Active or Dynamic.
    Having and Active and Emotion would have made more sense, if they wanted only 2 variants.
    cassini likes this.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Actually yes, the items can be put in a bag and can be tugged in boot itself and it will clear space inside.
  5. novicefreak

novicefreak Novizio

Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks for awesome review. +100.....
    I really wish Fiat markets this product well.....

For me, Compass, Inclinometer and Tilt-meter are additional niceties!!! No need to switch on phone apps...

Voice guided Navigation should have been a provided in all variants.
    While Spare wheel adds presence and overall value to rear but option of placing it in boot should have been provided!!!

Overall promising product from FIAT. Needs serious marketing!!!
  6. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Avventura vs Ecosport

I have been pretty vocal of my opinion about the Avventura being pitted against the Ecosport. I genuinely do not feel that is the right way to look at it. But since that is the way the market will most probably look at it and because that is the way FIAT is positioning the product the comparisons are going to be inevitable.

Which one is better? I don't think you can go wrong with either car. Both are good in their own way and both have their share of drawbacks.

Advantage Ecosport
    1. A ground up new design keeping in mind the compact SUV / CUV theme. You will not a find an equivalent hatchback version of the Ecosport in Ford showrooms. The Figo is a completely different car.
    2. Modern and bigger engines : The 1.5 TDCi is a proven workhorse while the Ecoboost is a modern turbo petrol. The Ecoboost might not be very fuel efficient and cheap to maintain but you go to give it to Ford for bringing in their global powertrains to India
    3. Loaded with features : keyless entry, 6 airbags, cooled glovebox, rear parking display etc to name a few. Has an AT variant as well
    4. Has excellent driveability in city and is a good highway cruiser.
    5. The tag of being "different" and a "segment first"
    Disadvantage Ecosport
    1. For all that personality and mini SUV looks : the cabin is cramped.
    2. Cost of maintenance is varied. Some report it as competitive while some find it expensive.
    3. Handling, ride quality and suspension though good is not segment leading. Behaviour on rough roads is not very comforting.
    4. The steering is ordinary at best. After giving excellent steering setups on the Fiesta and Figo Ford got it terribly wrong in the Ecosport.
    5. It is yet to be seen how well these cars age.
    Advantage Avventura
    1. The FIAT DNA of excellent ride quality, handling and suspension setup inspite of the higher GC. Build quality is definitely better than the Ecosport
    2. The Hydraulic Power Steering (deserves a separate point!)
    3. Will behave itself on highways as well as broken rural roads. Good ride quality is pretty much guaranteed with FIAT's and this car is no exception.
    4. A true cross over and not merely a hatchback with panels.
    5. The proven and now more importantly better tuned 1.3 90 HP engine.
    6. The maintenance cost should be competitive considering the parts sharing with Evo. Also FIAT cars are known to age well.
    Disadvantage Avventura
    1. FIAT has missed out big time by not giving the 1.4 T-Jet in the top end variant. With diesel de-regulated and petrol cars making a comeback this would have been an excellent proposition.
    2. You like it or not : it is a modified Punto Evo. A prospective buyer will find it difficult to tell the difference between a Evo and an Avventura when seen from the front
    3. The rear mounted spare wheel has a two step opening process. Not very user friendly if you ask me (Especially when almost everywhere we go these days the cars are subjected to security checks)
    4. Skipped on certain features : automatic headlamps, rain sensing wipers, rear parking sensors / camera, sunglass holder. If the Linea has it there was no harm giving these to Avventura
    5. Apart from the rear mounted spare wheel and the 16" alloys the car is missing out on "Wow" factors. DRL's and projector headlamps would have definitely added to the glamour quotient.
    My biggest worry about the Avventura is that it has no significant differentiator going for it when compared to the Ecosport. In fact the Ecosport has more differentiators! The only area where FIAT can make up is pricing. If they price it way below the Ecosport then the Avventura has an excellent chance. If it is withing 30-40k or even 50k of Ecosport it is almost game over. The marginal utility of the extra features and brand value the Ecosport has is definitely worth more than 50k.

My wish list : bring the old Punto back with revamped interiors and price the top end 90 HP at 6.5 lacs ex-showroom, discontinue the Punto Evo and have only the Avventura.
    pv_krish and Ravi like this.
  7. ASNM

ASNM Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    Excellent review guys.
    No auto journals can give such a detailed and unbiased review. Pictures & vedios are excellent.
    Krishna your write-up is very professional & to the point conveying exactly what is intended.

Avventura looks very smart little crossover, saw it in person couple of day back and was impressed with the road presence, ground clearance & overall looks.

As per Rush Lane, Avventura has got 300 bookings which IMO is not very impressive.
    Link: http://www.rushlane.com/fiat-avventura-bookings-12134331.html

Fiat needs to price it very competitively backed with aggressive advertisement campaigns to have its presence felt in the market. Rs 50-60K above the Evo ex-showroom price is what I expect.

One question, can the spare wheel be removed & placed in its original position in the boot.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  8. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Linea 1.3
    16 bookings in Coimbatore, which is greater than the monthly sales etios and polo cross combined.
    Which is a good thing isn't it
  9. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    Has the car been released yet? Supposed to be 20th or am I mistaken?
  10. Vinodh_Gowda

Vinodh_Gowda Novizio

Namma Bengaluru
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Well compiled, fantastic review on an equally awesome car. FIAT Avventura deserved such an unbiased and complete review. Kudos to the gentlemen who accomplished this task. :)

Coming back to the FIAT Avventura, I feel it rightly deserves all the accolades being showered on it. Good Luck FIAT. But then FIAT inorder to sell it, you need to launch it and do it soon. :mad: