1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    Like I said, FIAT was too late to introduce it to all variants. The same mistake was made with Punto 90 HP and I think they will repeat the same mistake with Avventura. As of now, no emotion petrol. And like another member mentioned, TJET prices being too close to the diesel only makes it worse for FIAT. They need to manufacture that engine here. Maybe once the tie up with TATA to share engines is over.

Got a chance to TD the Avventura today at Torque FIAT, Gurgaon. 5-6 different parties came to check the car out. I think I convinced one of them to buy but don't know how was his test drive experience. He told me how he always wanted to buy a FIAT but people scared him away telling about high maintenance costs. I told him most of the people who would tell you not to buy a FIAT have never driven one, let alone owning one. And he sort of agreed! Also told him about the myth regarding high spare costs and maintenance costs. 3-4 TD's happened in the 40 odd minutes I was in the showroom. One TD of Linea also took place. Really hoping Avventura would help FIAT get more foot falls in the showrooms.

Observations -

• The Car looks great and is very well built inside out (Barring a few rough edges I could notice on the outside)
    • Brown is my personal favourite followed by Orange.
    • Interiors are top notch. I don't think any car has better interiors as compared to Punto, Avvy and Linea in the respective segments. New i20 is the only one that comes close.
    • Interior space should have been more.
    • NVH much better than older Punto.
    • Extremely light clutch.
    • Much, much better gear box than my Punto. Shorter throw and less notchy.
    • Engine feels more refined and less strained and feels eager to move in the 1st and 2nd gears, unlike the Linea.
    • Great ground clearance.
    • Body roll very less, specially when you consider the height of the car.
    • The driver seat can go very high and can make you feel like you're sitting in an SUV. I think its a positive for shorter people.
    • Ride and handling is top notch.
    • Excellent brakes.
    • Rear mounted wheel adds character to the car and does not intrude while reversing. Well done FIAT!
    • All and all I think its a great effort from FIAT. But at the same time I can also understand why some people would prefer Evo over this and why does it not makes sense to spend more money for this over Evo. Having said that, this car has an aura around it which reminds me of the time when FIAT launched the linea.
    I really hope this car gives FIAT a much needed boost in sales and improves the brand perception that the "aam janta" carries.

PS --> This TD was done for one of my friends who is planning to buy a car and has a budget ranging from 6-10 lacs. If he spends this much money he is 99% sure of buying the Avvy, else he has always loved the Figo.
    However, like always our visit to the Ford showroom was very disappointing and this time I did not shy away from being vocal about how pathetic their dealership is. And now he is almost sure to not buy the Figo, despite both of us agreeing that it is a good car for that much money and he also now understands why Punto is almost 1.1.5Lacs more expensive (including discounts) than the Figo and how is this price difference justified.
    We also went to the Hyundai showroom to check the elite i20. We weren't even asked for water and once he got to know that the top model costs 8.55L on road, he decided not to buy it as he would rather spend 60K more to buy the Avvy!
    GirishRaghu, sunil216, limraj and 6 others like this.
  2. RCP

RCP Amatore

Hyderabad

New review from NDTV Raftaar
    Ravi and shams like this.
  3. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    One thing I forgot to mention. The sales guy at Torque FIAT mentioned that the RSA would provide the customer with a replacement car for a couple of days if required and if need be would also arrange for the customer's stay and meals (all expenses paid) if the car breaks down when on highways.
    Can anyone confirm the authenticity of this?
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Stay and Meals, yes, that are part of RSA items.
    Even taxi expense are included, with some terms and condition.

Replacement car, I am not sure.
    Ichimaru likes this.
  5. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    Even if they get you a taxi, that's almost as good as a replacement car.
    The ultimate aim is to remain mobile.
  6. acechip

acechip Superiore

In fact, my hunch is that Linea MJD is not selling at all ! We are talking about 150-200 cars here. People who try out both cars will definitely be more impressed with the T-Jet, not to mention a couple of minor advantages like 190mm GC and all-disc brakes.

Because, the world has indeed moved on and Fiat seriously needs to look beyond the 1.3 MJD and in a couple of years, even beyond T-Jet.
    And while they are about it, how about equipping all its car variants with dual airbags aka VW ? If I were VW, I would put out a 1 page advt asap on the following lines. "Safety is NOT an Option änymore. While you can pick our variants based on features,thankfully there is one option that you really dont have to decide about. Dual-Airbags are standard".

How I wish it were Fiat having the opportunity to making that statement though.

And this would rub it in , what with MSIL in a bit of a soup and Datsun falling back into the ditch from where it arose.
    Ichimaru likes this.
  7. RCP

RCP Amatore

Hyderabad
    Yes, airbags should be standard. But for other manufacurers to get ful 5 star NCAP rating it took many years, and some only could pass by adding additional airbags. The report says - "unstable body shell". But Fiat got 5 star rating way back in 2005 and only with 2 airbags. They achieved this in the first attempt. Now, it's time for fiat to make airbags standard. Also, they need to work on different power plants. Am sure, MJD is bullet proof. But fiat really have to bring in more engine options. India also have car buyers with different mindsets and we are the proof for it. That army tank has lots of ability to handle more power and outpouring torque. I know India is a cost conscious market, but had fiat brought in the 1.5 or 1.6 mjd, I can imagine how many will buy that accident face ecosport. And more over all these so called magazines with shut their *** (whatever), and will be scratching to find a con to list in their book. I like fiat a lot, but honestly - what is making them so lazy. The poor knowledge of sales rep, no proactive approach, no info to the dealers abt their products, mis-communication etc are the main reasons for their failure.... Am not complaining, but that's my frustration..i wanted fiat to bring more products..i know all produscts available till now are good, but more segments..competitor to Octavia, duster, etc..thankfully they are now free of their debt..now u can only achieve sales by making the customer know your product.. most people talk about ecosport ecoboost engine giving more mileage than t-jet engine (almost same bhp)....but the point they miss out is - they are comparing 207nm of torque@2200 to 170nm of torque@4500(spread).....even your sales guy can't explain the funda in this when a customer poses a question....

We are paying 100k xtra for avventura....I know there are some additional fittings, and that mounted spare wheel is purely for style....are roof rails, high GC, terrain gauges, 16" alloy wheels and that cladding worth 100k..may it justifies, but still people will think why shud we go for avventura over punto 90 hp, which costs us more 100k..These may be worth 100k, but same punto in different look is priced at 100k xtra....not even projected head lights are optional..I mean this is where they have to improve..they shud have downpriced it by atleast 30 to 40k and offer other optional equipment, for people like us..hope somebody is listening

But it is definitely better than ecosport....who will pay 11.5 lacs for that bumped up figo..
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 6, 2014 ---
    But I have to say one thing - my mjd have done 83,000 kms in just two years.. Not a single part is replaced except timing chain...even timing chaing has lot of life left in when they checked, but I asked them to change..not even suspension and engine mounts changed...nothing. But what's making them not to bring new power plants.. if 1.3 mjd is good, doesn't mean they shouldn't bring more options.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    pdash, Ichimaru, Raj_pol and 2 others like this.
  8. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Respect - Do you write about your trips? You should if you do not :D
  9. sunil216

sunil216 Timido

Shimla
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    There was disparity amongst my family members on colour I had booked, so changed from Bronzo Tan to Zafferano Orange. :)
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Zafferano Orange suits well on Avventura.
    When are you getting delivery? Excited to see first ownership report on TFI :).
    sunil216 likes this.