1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Super review @nkrishnap, you have covered nicely all aspect of Avventura and it is indeed a fantastic city car, and it has things to add for little adventures.

City Drive - I got chance to drive car in chocked city traffic of Bangalore. The drive in city traffic is almost same as 75HP engine, very minor lags compared to normal 90HP. Actually even from 1400 rpm, 1st & 2nd gear was pulling the car with no lugging. But don't expect to move very fast if you floor the pedal from low rpm.

Ride Quality - Even with 205mm Ground Clearance, the body roll is pretty less. Remember I drive 165mm GC of old Punto. The suspension is little stiffer than normal Punto.

Looks - It has good road presence. Looks good when you park and look into it.

Headlights - I felt it has pretty decent throw on low beam (couldn't get chance to check high beam performance). In city, with fog lamp, it doesn't need any upgrades.

And about rear wheel cover making noise, we tested it properly. Just need to make sure the cover is fixed properly in all slots provided and locked below. There is little vibration seen from outside but there is no sound, even on really bad surface also.

Roof rail is really strong, once you grab it, you can feel its sturdiness.

DSC_0050-1.jpg

Seat texture, closely.

DSC_0046-1.jpg

One look at Ground clearance

IMG_20141018_112904.jpg

How Etios Cross and Avventura look on road -

IMG_20141018_124927.jpg

DSC_0049-1.jpg

Looking forward to hit the market :).

DSC_0054-1.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
  2. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    More Images....

Classy Ambient Lighting

DSC_0021-1.jpg

Aggressive front DSC_0024-1.jpg

In its favourite environment DSC_0387.jpg

Trip to the grasslands? No problem !! DSC_0394.jpg

Bad Roads?? No problem !! DSC_0439.jpg

Big brother !! DSC_0441.jpg

This is where you can experience the Avventura best DSC_0476.jpg

Another one DSC_0481.jpg

These stones are NOT a problem DSC_0485.jpg

Conquered !! DSC_0508.jpg

The white fellow should feel the heat if FIAT markets and prices the Avventura right DSC_0569.jpg

Italian or American ?? DSC_0576.jpg

DSC_0583.jpg

The cover definitely adds some style DSC_0590.jpg

AC vents DSC_0627.jpg

Compass and Inclinometer on the center console DSC_0632.jpg
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Brilliant Review Krishna & Ravi :)(....running short of Smilies)

And to say that it is an independent & self-sponsored review means something !!

Awesome !
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Awesome review. Commendable effort from Krishna and Ravi. And also to turbokarthik and Puntom for spending their time for the drive.

After seeing the Ecosport and Avventura pictures, the Ecosport seems shy of being placed along with Avventura just for the brilliance of its looks. :D

One random thought is coming to my mind. Fiat may be planning T-Jet for the Emotion variant later? Probably in a few months time?
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Ramesh.

The Tjet should have been the default petrol engine. The Tjet and the 90 HP should have been the ideal engine line up. With the petrol prices easing off and if Tjet was available as an option, it would have done no harm to Fiat's prospects at all. I am really curious to know why the Tjet did not make it under the Avventura's hood.
    mchanna likes this.
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Awesome review guys. Great job to all of you.

That would have added or increased the price beyond the expectations I guess. Can't the FIRE be turned to produce more horses?
    nkrishnap likes this.
  7. turboKarthik

turboKarthik Timido

Bangalore
    Brilliant review Krishna. :) Covers all the major as well as minor aspects of the car comprehensively. Thanks also for inviting me over for the drive and review.

A few salient points from my take on the test drive:

- I own the first gen (2011) Linea T-Jet+ and the second gen (2012+) Punto with increased ground clearance. I have to say, the body roll on the Avventura is quite controlled for a car of this GC. The ride quality too is typically fiat-ish and is very plush and controlled. There is very minimal harshness for the passengers even on the worst of roads. The suspension smothers all the major and minor bumps with ease. I was expecting a bit of bounciness at higher speeds but that doesn't seem to be the case. It feels more or less like the 2012 suspension setup of Puntos. The 2011 versions are in a different (better) league though.

- As already mentioned by nkrishnap, the ECU map has been retuned in the Avventura. The signature lag on Linea and Punto 90HP Multijets between 1200 and 2000 rpm is almost absent, and that rpm range of power delivery is linear on this car. On the downside, the powerful punchy acceleration between 2200 and 3500 is not present and the map appears to run out of steam pretty quickly. This shouldn't be a problem since this car is not exactly designed to be a pocket rocket. Overall, well tuned almost lag-free engine with linear power delivery, but at the cost of punchy mid-range. The engine also feels a lot more refined than the other versions I have seen so far.

- Handling and braking are adequate. This vehicle is an example of being a corner carver to some extent in spite of being a CUV. Handling is typically Fiat-like for a mini-SUV-cross, and feels very much like a 2012 Punto while cornering. NO hint of being unsettled in corners even when aggressively taken.

- I cannot for the life of me understand why Fiat is still continuing the 2 decade old 1.4 FIRE 90PS NA engine even after so many years of these variants being market duds since 2009. There should have been a T-Jet engine putting out sufficient torque to challenge the MultiJet VGT out there. No 2 ways about it. The Avventura on T-Jet config would have perhaps become another story of the legendary Palio Adventure 1.6 of the early 2000s.

- The interiors are revamped well and go well with the flow. Most bits and pieces of niggles and fit and finish quality have been fixed compared to the older versions of Punto and Linea. However 2 pieces of feedback from me on the interiors - one is the steering should have been redesigned a bit or they could have even brought in dual color tone steering designs like the ones on current-gen Fiats abroad. The current (same old) design on Avventura is too boring and looks old now after 6 years of duty in the Punto and Linea. The second aspect is the seats being dual tone leather + fabric combo. This to me appears like a clear sign of cost cutting and is certainly not welcome. Only the bolsters and extremities of the seats are leather, while the contact portions are all cheap-looking grey fabric. Neither is grey + brown leather a good combination, nor is the whole concept of cost cutting with fabric mix a good idea. They ought to have given full brown leather seats to finish it off with a rich, luxurious feel.

- One more important aspect which I simply cannot agree with is - the tyre sizes are being shared with the Linea Emotion - 205/55R16. When Fiat is going to market this car as a rough and tough mini-SUV to tackle bad roads, one thing which they ought to have thought of is the fact that the profile needs to be higher for better air cushioning (bigger sidewalls too) in a SUV/CUV which is expected to be used on rough terrain. Low profile tyres go well on sedans, not on a mini SUV that will beg people to thrash bad roads with. I strongly recommend upsizing to 215/60 or 205/60 if prospective owners want to avoid broken alloys after a few road trips.

- Overall nice package by Fiat to tackle the competition. I have driven both the Ecosport and Avventura diesel versions. The Ecosport feels a lot lighter to throw around corners, but the Avventura feels a little heavier. Both handle well and almost fare equal on the handling and braking department. The steering feel however is absent on the Ecosport's EPS config, while the Avventura's hydraulic setup takes the prize for steering feedback and connected feel while driving. On the power delivery, I felt the Ecosport's .5 TDCi is marginally better in overall driveability and midrange, but the Avventura's engine is much more refined and silent compared to the Ford's noisy clatter. Space-wise and features-wise the Ecosport will come out tops, but it is also slightly more expensive. Both are head to head in this battle and the customer cannot go wrong with either choice.
  8. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    Krishna thanks for another wonderful review.

What a lovely rear look it has. Very very beautifully designed wheel cover.

It will surely touch the heart of many Indians.

Fiat engineers did a fantastic job, now its time for sleeping cat (marketing team) to wakeup and do at least some marketing and advertising other than Facebook so that many offline users know that there is a vehicle called avventura from fiat is in the market !!
    Dr Nitin Dutta and nkrishnap like this.
  9. Puntom

Puntom Amatore

Bengaluru
    A very detailed review @nkrishnap , you have covered a lot. I'll take another sitting to read it word-by-word

Thank you very much for taking me with you-it was a good experience with the tallest Fiat in the market.

You and @Ravi have covered almost everything, Some small thoughts from my side (If there are some repetitions, excuse me).
    • The engine sound of the 1.3 90PHP is slightly on the higher side compared to my 1.2, but doesn't feel like a diesel one when you are seated inside. NVH levels have improved.
    • The height of the vehicle is evident when you are getting in and out of the vehicle, but the good thing even after this 'Beefing up' is the ride quality remains the same benchmark fiat level.
    • Although I don't like the spare wheel and boot opening in different directions, th design nf that swing arm is very nice and lot of thought has been put onto it.
    • The inclinometer and the direction meter, would have been better if they were tilted a little bit to the driver side.
    • I sorely missed an armrest
    • One red switch I saw under the steering column over the ABC pedals, the function which I'm not sure of. Attaching a picture below
    DSC_0376_01.JPG

All in all, Fiat have put some real effort into the making of this CUV, but only time will tell if their "Achche din" have finally arrived or not :)
  10. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Awesome review Krishna and Ravi ...

Looks smashing and if ride and handling is comparable to post 2012 Punto then Fiat has really done a great job even with the 20 mm additional ride height.

Missing Petrol Emotion points to a TJET emotion may be. Hoping against hope. If Fiat comes out with one we have another legend in the making after Palio 1.6 and Linea TJET.

Fingers crossed ... hope Avventura can bring in decent numbers. Linea +Punto + Avventura clocking between 1.5 K to 2 K is what I think Fiat will sell month on month. Avventura vs Ecosport ... No competetion there. If Fiat can sell 500 units of Avventura per month consistently it would a good enough performance. For Fiat to even beat Terrano numbers consistently would be big task.

Well being an eternal Fiat lover I hope Fiat succeeds this time.