1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Avventura - Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by nkrishnap, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @prabhjot : The Avventura is a brilliant product in its segment. The utter pity is that Fiat actually designed it from ground up to keep the core character intact. And no one even bothers to look at it. Many great products like this have vanished altogether. There was a time when small car manufacturers toiled to make a brilliant product. And then came Ford with the Model T to offer a car for the masses.

Today, Toyota is the number 1 company in the world. And for what? Reliability. Period. The parts in their cars are made to last. Driveability? Sure. They are quite nice to drive. But as our time for hobbies and travel reduces, we need cars for the initial purpose. That is transportation. Not the joy of driving. Very few people actually get into their cars to drive. They get in to go from Point A to B. And in comfort. And style. And then some. But then you also see another fact. Top Gear is the best car show in the world because they focus on the best cars to drive. So this passion of driving might be slowly coming back. But whether Indians have that passion? No idea.

People can focus on nice things when their basic needs are taken care of. Here in India, we need to fend for ourselves. We have no govt benefits, no pension, no medical insurance, no dental, no good public schools and no state funded old age homes. These are all available in the Western nations on the taxes you pay. So a nice car to drive is a long long way off for over 99% of our population. Just having a car is good enough.

Coming back to your point, the New Avventura might be wonderful. But Fiat needs to pull up their socks in India and start pushing ads down people's throats to make them see. Right from the shoddy dealership experience to the FASS. I admit, I really like FASS because they have some great mechanics. But the middle level that need to do the customer interfacing need a solid kick in the butt. Customers need to see that driving passion exuding from the sales staff. Customers need to see the sales staff raving so much that everyone believes that the staff also believe in their product. It starts from sales. Pure and simple. Right now, even the hesitant buyers are put off when they see little interest at the showrooms. Staff having body odor, faded shirts and poor spoken English are the first step in nipping new customers in the bud. Look at Volvo India. Pathetic sales but fantastic staff. Heck, the VW SA gave me 3 TDs of the Polo and each time was absolutely professional. When he knew I'd booked the Avvy, he very politely asked me for the reasons and wished me the best of luck. Sales mean everything. And Fiat is not selling enough. And customers don't really care if you don't approach them first. It is only people like us who already know the history of Fiat that are patient enough to bear the crap at the showooms and wait patiently for the diamond in the rough. But then, other cars are not diamonds. They are also precious stones that serve the purpose perfectly.

Fiat needs to build hype. Build desire. Build cohesion. This can happen only through sales or such a good product that India has not seen the likes of before. In my opinion, its not about the product anymore. It is about the sales thrust. There are very very few complaints in Fiat vehicles other than that occasional niggle. So sure, bring on the 15 lakh 1.6 MJDs. People will laugh and say "Fiat has the audacity to charge so much?!" They will laugh because of brand perception and nothing else.
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Vidhyashankar Kannan

If this is OT, MODs please move it.

Your points about the sales/showroom/TDprocesses are just right. Thing is, though, that as with any 'service' industry especially for financially weaker and low sales player like Fiat's dealers it is very very hard to avoid mediocrity in showroom: wages are low, turnover is very high, dealer-owner and their manager quality is weakish, etc. It is very very hard to breakout of the chicken-and-egg scenario, when it comes to showrooms and dealers, as not just Fiat but Skoda, Nissan, Tata and VW too have also discovered. Honda's dealer in Gurgaon though manages to be pretty poor and yet bestselling!

Now sure: a full-scale, EPIC sales and marketing attack would appear to be not just essential but the obvious thing to do, except for the exorbitant cost of it and the low likelihood of a return on that 'soft investment'.

What they're doing, instead, or so it appears is: go Jeep. Clean sheet brand, new and more-solid/experienced/reputed dealers. Higher margin products with good probability of decent sales. Later to be combined, as they have said they'll do all over the world outside of the US, dovetail the German-trio competing new Alfa Romeo?

As for Fiat: it seems to me they must focus on a good spread and coverage and quality of FASS, already achieved to a decent degree? BUT must reduce the number of showrooms by, instead, having an e-commerce/digital interaction based sales interface, especially in the bigger cities with extortionate real estate rents. With company-owned Test Drive-at-your doorstep operations. This will reduce costs, add a bit of media-glamour to the brand, and ensure the shoddiness/mediocrity of the sales and delivery process via small and weakish dealers and their underpaid, ill-educated staff etc is eliminated.

They could lead-in this new set-up for say a year and then start shutting showrooms down, selectively, while ensuring of course that the independent FASS centres continue/expand. After all, in any case, one senses that the dealers make more money off service and spares than they do off the low sales turnover?

An e-commerce/digital way-around the chicken-and-egg problem with brick-and-mortar dealership viability and quality?
  3. oxom

oxom Novizio

Guwahati
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I too would like to share my views who is a non fiat owner but a prospective customer for fiat. First whenever the word fiat comes it reminds everyone that it produces fuel guzzling cars. For instance palio was introduced with a 1.6 litre engine and the result was obvious people used to get 8-10kmpl whereas competition was far ahead.Even now people think of fiat as non fuel efficient cars.
    Next they priced their cars quitems steep and didn't try to enter the A segment of the car market which was doing wonders during those years and fiat should have milked that opportunity.If fiat can produce a fuel efficient petrol car within 4 lacs and mark it as direct competition to alto k10, eon,datsun it will game on not because it will be assured that it will be no.1 seller but it will have much more acceptability. And as more people see the vehicle on road and fiat focuses on fuel efficiency through its ad's like maruti jingle " kitna deti hain" by its new car jingle as "maruti se jada deti hain" it will be game changer for fiat.
    Fine we all accept it produces good handling cars and good body but for an average Joe what maters most in country like india is good aesthetics and mileage and price!(This price I am saying for cars in a segment)
    folks just a view point of a non fiat average Joe..
    prabhjot, asimpleson and dadasaheb like this.
  4. acechip

acechip Superiore

@oxom you dont have to sound apologetic about being a non-Fiat average Joe. Fiat owners are not some elite club. Nor are Fiat cars a coveted lot. Ultimately what sells is what is successful. And credit should be given where its due. Fiat have terrific cars, yes. But are they so exclusive ? Not quite. The brand itself could do with a lot of revamp. IF FCA Inc wishes, of course.
    prabhjot, asimpleson and dadasaheb like this.
  5. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Received a call from fiats, they asked me for overall rating for fiat I gave them 9/10.
    They asked for suggestions to improve further.

I told them to improve on sales figures in semi urban & semi rural areas. I have seen Honda & Toyota, Renault & hyundais conducting regular TD & booking camps on weekly bazar days at taluka block levels.

Fiats should portray their high GC & still better handling to the these folks.

AFA, Avventura is concerned, I told them to conduct TD camps at hill stations & picnic spots situated near ghats eg Beaches. Dealer should arrange picnic for sales team cum TD camps on few weekends at these places. They should target the car owners which come from the areas (depending on registration number plates) where FASS network is better.
  6. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    But the point is, Fiat is not financially weak in India. They are the only skewed company who is at the bottom while their OEM components are at the top of the charts.For every Maruti DDIS car sold, Fiat is laughing all the way to bank. It is so funny to see Maruti at the top and Fiat at the bottom when the bottom is actually feeding the top. So no, Fiat is not weak in India. They have money. They have actually declared profits but my gut feel is that, it does not really matter too much to them. Sure, they made an earnest effort with the Avventura and the Evo. Maybe this is just a stepping stone to the new releases. But there is no excuse for them not having good sales staff. They are Italians, they know how to sell. If they want to.

Yes, good dealers will make all the difference without the aloo-pyaaz profit margins on volumes. Or get into volumes seriously and keep exporting junk like the Celerio which is raving in India and being ridiculed in the UK for total brake failure.

This needs thrust from the management which is hardly evident. Their FASS is good no doubt. But it shouldn't become a case of management vs blue collar which seems to be the case here.

This is the real chicken and egg situation. If they shut down showrooms, the public assumes Fiat itself is going to shut down. In fact, isn't everyone in India (including ourselves who are quietly praying) waiting for that day when Fiat shuts down going by its pathetic sales? This is a case of "Will they, won't they?" Yet, because the company is profitable, it is maintaining a presence here.

Go ahead oxom, like @acechip has said, we are no supercar owners. This is a forum where you are free to hug or bash. We all have Fiats which are on the left side of 10 lakhs except the Linea owners. Also remember, a car is a car. It is not going to change your life (unless you crash). But there is that something about a Fiat which is hard to identify. I loathe the company for not trying enough with great products. I at times feel like shaking them and saying "Get on with it". But when I drive the car, all is temporarily forgotten. Other cars have not given me this feeling. Its what one would call a love-hate relationship.

Bang on. Fiat is not exclusive. But this forum has the respect of team-bhp for being a bunch of enthusiasts who know what driving is about. Yes, the branding just needs a revamp with some serious thought which is not coming. And I don't think it is FCA India to blame alone.
    acechip, prabhjot and asimpleson like this.
  7. Whencut86

Whencut86 Amatore

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I did a test drive of linea t jet yesterday and a longer test drive of avventura as well. Now I am in a big dilemma. Heart says avventura but mind says linea tjet. Linea t jet is damn good to drive plus more rear leg room as well. Must say tjet is fantastic engine to drive. 500 litre of boot space as well. One irritant though was my floaters were brushing against the dead pedal everytime during clutch release. I guess I have to wear footwear with smaller width just to drive avventura. But I somehow felt it was the case in linea. Not a major thing this to put off my decision. But now really confused between avventura and linea. Linea is a lakh over the avventura. Free insurance scheme is no longer available for both from this month. About 20-25k worth discounts. Linea on road road price in chennai after these discounts is 10.96L and avventura after discount is 9.84L. For a lakh more I get better leg room and a huge boot space. But avventura will offer me higher ground clearance and better mileage. Also in city driving is better in tjet. The torque and overtaking capabilities are similar in both cars. Got me confused now. Folks please advise.
    prabhjot and Murphy_Fiat like this.
  8. oxom

oxom Novizio

Guwahati
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Bro. Insurance is free and 10k discount plus govt. Employee 3k
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Whencut86, buy the Linea if your km running is less and you intend to keep the car much longer. Buy an Avventura if it will also be doing more out of city runs. Fuel wise and price wise Avventura leads and is tempting. The boot can be plus for the Linea. But how often does one carry so much luggage for distance journey and Avventura will allow some light luggage to be strapped on top with the roof rails in place. T-jet is best if you are not too much recurring fuel expense conscious or if you know fuel expense will not be much an issue and car will be also used sparingly at times for longer journeys. In a way T-jet offers some very good FE figures without compromising the fun or ease to drive it. But price and utility wise the Avventura MJD is a better bet no doubt. The stronger suspension is a huge plus for its size. Even more a benefit fully loaded.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Whencut86

What @asimpleson said.

AND: aesthetics! Go for the car which will engage you (and others?!) more aesthetically, over time. That would seem to point in the Avventura's direction, perhaps? Unless you want that big, long car image. The new Linea says: sophisticated, mature, elegant, subtle, cool. The Avventura says: young, pulsating, subtle but expressive, hot. And arguably the Avventura is more distinctively 'Italian' in its design language (given this new styling avatar of the Linea)?

Out on the highway the 90 hp mjd is every bit as good as the t-jet in high gears, but yeah in flowing traffic and where frequent accelerations/decelerations/overtakings are called for, the t-jet is both more fun and more convenient. Also the braking is sublime on the Linea t-jet and adds so much to not just safety but also driving pleasure and engagement.